[Mk2] [NA] Car overheated big time!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Urban Assault Vehicle

[Mk2] [NA] Car overheated big time!

Post by Urban Assault Vehicle »

Hi folks,

Not been around for a while now.

Coming into work this morning my car decided it was going to overheat and the temp gauge went off the scale!

The ironic thing is I noticed the other day that the corrugation had started to give on my radiator so I planned on getting a new one this weekend. I checked the coolant at the weekend and it was fine, and haven't noticed any wet patches where I park.

So I was driving in this morning with the heaters on as its cold in Scotland! Then all of a sudden it started to blow cold air and the temp gauge went off the scale! :pale: Have yet to check the coolant situation again.

My question is (eventually) if I need to fill the coolant up, can I do so and drive the car home rather than leave it at work, or is it a back of a lorry job? :pray:

Any help much appreciated.

Graeme
alan wheeldon

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Car overheated big time!

Post by alan wheeldon »

you should be fine, how far have you got to travel.

Fill it up with water/coolant but make sure you bleed the system of air, there are 2 air valves up front, one on the top right side of the radiator and the other is in the middle of the car behind the spare wheel.

I have had a similar problem with mine in the past where it has over heated for no apparent reason, just keep an eye on the water level in the future
Urban Assault Vehicle

Thanks for the reply mate.

I have about 10 miles to travel, usually during rush hour. I will stay back at work though and drive home when it is quiet in case I break down.

My only concern is that with the temp gauge going off the scale, will it not cause problems for my cylinder head, i.e warp it?

Cheers
Graeme
paul port

Post by paul port »

Don't drive it with the gauge off the scale, pull over immediately and turn off the engine.

You can then if required top up the coolant, then continue your journey.
NOTE: You must let the engine cool completly before topping up. Cold water into a hot engine will cause problems.

If the coolant level in the expansion tank is going down - you have a leak in the system after the pressure cap. Often these things only show up when the car is HOT - hence you won't see a puddle on your driveway.

If the expansion tank level is fine, but the level under the pressure cap is continually going down - there may be a leak in the pipe going from the pressure cap to the expansion tank.

Paul
Urban Assault Vehicle

Okay, thanks mate.

I'll leave the car at work overnight and assess what options I have for tomorrow.

I've still to check if there is water in the expansion tank after checking it at the weekend. If not, I will bring the coolant in with me tomorrow.

When the car was moving, the temp gauge was going down (maybe due to air flow through the radiator?), it was only when stationary that the gauge began creeping up again. I only travelled about half a mile while the guage was above normal.

Cheers
Graeme

Return to “Mechanical”