[Mk2] [Generic] Momo boss

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BLZ-8027

[Mk2] [Generic] Momo boss

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Just fitted a MOMO boss and it doesn't sit flush with the column
whats the cutouts for as theres nothing for them to marry up with?
anybody got any pictures of theirs fitted heres mine ?
MarcC

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Momo boss

Post by MarcC »

You have been given the wrong boss kit. The one you have is MOM7728 but if your car is a 1990 you need MOM7715. 7715 is upto 1992, 7728 is after. Hope this helps
BLZ-8027

boss

Post by BLZ-8027 »

It does look wrong i admit, but then i had the other sort and it had a flat brass ring for the horn and not the cutout as is needed for my horn connector,is there any others?
you can just see the sticking out connector for the horn at the bottom
BLZ-8027

boss

Post by BLZ-8027 »

:oops: double post :oops:
FizzyBlueMr2

Post by FizzyBlueMr2 »

Thats odd - is yours a '91 car? I always thought that the <93 cars had a wire connector for the horn, and not the plastic connector on the ring. This is on 93+ cars (rev 3 onwards) from what I recall, hence why the need for a boss with a whole cut out of it. (Most of the cheapy ones will only fit rev 1-2 <93 for this reason).

The steering column hasn't been replaced at some time has it?

Also wondering what the ring around the centre is for - the light brown one with the 2 plastic pegs in. Have one on mine too, but no idea what its for - it just turns around a lot? (EDIT - nevermind - find out its the steering sensor for the power steering ecu. :D ).
FizzyBlueMr2

Post by FizzyBlueMr2 »

BLZ-8027 wrote:Just fitted a MOMO boss and it doesn't sit flush with the column
whats the cutouts for as theres nothing for them to marry up with?

...if you mean the small notches in the base of the boss, then they are what the small lugs/pins on that central ring/steering sensor fit into. You may want to check you have the boss on correctly, as from what I recall, the single hole/notch should be facing straight up, with the centre of the group of 3 then facing down.

Thats how it is on the standard wheel anyway, and would mean the sensor is in the correct position when the steering wheel is in centre....?
BLZ-8027

boss

Post by BLZ-8027 »

I had this issue when i first bought it ,I read and saw pictures of the rev 1 and rev 2 connectors and thats why i finally bought this one ,The first one i bought was before i removed the wheel and i got the wrong one ,the one for a rev 1 with the flat base and ring for the horn.which wouldn't fit due to this horn connection,If the column has been changed then all the locks have been changed as well because theres only one key ,My car is a 1990 G-limited and i have a spares car which is a 1992 uk spec, both have the same column
This one on ebay looks better but doesnt have the horn cutout so probably wont fit either? Could i just cut off the horn connector and fit the e bay type?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-MR2-MK2-Ge ... dZViewItem
Anyone want to buy this one and sell me the correct one as im stumped now
ill have to put back on my quick release boss which is JDM and fits
BLZ-8027

boss

Post by BLZ-8027 »

My quick release boss looks like this one and fits over the horn cutout
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=79536
si2040

Post by si2040 »

i found the momo boss does not fit as well as other oem versions..plus it sticks out much more which makes it look like a bumper car steering wheel.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”