Mk1 Header Tank Stuck

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

cyrodill

Mk1 Header Tank Stuck

Post by cyrodill »

I need to replace my alternator and it appeared that it was a simple task of removing the header tank to get access. Unfortunately the tank won't move and I don't want to pull too hard in case it lets go and covers everything in coolant. has anybody else had this difficulty and if so how did you resolve it. It looks like it is a straight pull out so I don't know what is holding it in.
dazzz

Re: Mk1 Header Tank Stuck

Post by dazzz »

Remove the coolant from the tank. Fill it with boiling water. coat the back of it in pnetrating spray, give it a wiggle. give it an hour then it should just pull out.
cyrodill

Post by cyrodill »

Thanks. I will give it a go.
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Nah !!, all you need to do is press the metal clasp on the pipe next to the filler cap & pull it off, leave the expansion cap on the bottle & give it a sharp yank upwards & it will come off no problem, before you put the bottle back just put a smidgen of grease on the bottle runners & jobs a goodun :thumleft: , Jinxy
millentubby

Post by millentubby »

like jinxy says - pull the xxxxxx like hell.
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

:mrgreen: Yeah dont worry...... i can always sell you another expansion bottle which isnt bu88ered !!! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: , Jinxy
cyrodill

Post by cyrodill »

In fact you are saying I can use my usual method of brute force and ignorance. Hurray. :lol:

PS Thanks lads.
millentubby

Post by millentubby »

brute force, ignorance and a healthy amount of 'expletive' release agent :D
cyrodill

Post by cyrodill »

millentubby wrote:brute force, ignorance and a healthy amount of 'expletive' release agent :D

Of course and if possible at leat one skinned knuckle. #-o
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Many many skinned knuckles. You can try rocking it side to side as you pull upwards - helped release mine when it was stuck.
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

the bracket is tapered so if someone has pushed it down hard it will be very tight
but as Jinxy says give it a good yank, but it will be stubern the let go all at once
if this fails try pouring a kettle of boiling water over it, this may just expand the plastic enough to free it off
cyrodill

Post by cyrodill »

Thanks for your help everybody. I was able to get the header tank out with a good tug. Undid the bolts on the alternator, losing the lower nut and it diidn't budge. Later in the evening I remembered the wrecking bar I had just bought so I will be applying that today.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”