Just £1500 for an S2000 engine...obvious question follows...

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

juanwond

Re: Just £1500 for an S2000 engine...obvious question follows...

Post by juanwond »

Lauren wrote:
Elise was stupid quick with the K20A in. I have driven K20A elise quite a bit.. did a euro trip in one. I have to say i was glad to give it back after a week as i seriously feared for my licence. I really couldn't drive something like that as an everyday car... way too fast. I'm bad enough as it is... i would just be doing stupid speeds all the time as its soo very easy. With a power to weight of 350bhp/tonne a MK1 would need well over 400bhp to get anywhere near it. So err not much will stay with it in any respect. Jonny has chased down GT2s on track with it. A great track car though.

I think it gave it the power to fully exloit the handling.

0-100:
http://www.jimbocam.com/blink/dash-cam-pip1.mpg

Handling:
http://www.jimbocam.com/elvington/vA/el ... n1-vcd.mpg

Incidentally, the 340R (camera car) was honda engined as well. I was a passenger in the 340R when that footage was taken.

350/ton?!...bloody hell, seemed to put the power down ok in the vids ...speedo was jumping about the place a fair bit on the gearchanges though..would be very easy to hit the limiter in first gear i´m thinking...

was that with a standard K20A?...but ´too fast´ - doesn´t sound like you Lauren!. And lose your license ?...naaaa, they'd never see which way you went :wink: . Sure would be a lot of fun though...hmmm gets me thinking, how much do elise's cost these days then...maybe i should put off buying my flat!

Juan.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

juanwond wrote:
350/ton?!...bloody hell, seemed to put the power down ok in the vids ...speedo was jumping about the place a fair bit on the gearchanges though..would be very easy to hit the limiter in first gear i´m thinking...

was that with a standard K20A?...but ´too fast´ - doesn´t sound like you Lauren!. And lose your license ?...naaaa, they'd never see which way you went :wink: . Sure would be a lot of fun though...hmmm gets me thinking, how much do elise's cost these days then...maybe i should put off buying my flat!

Juan.

Do the math. 204bhp...in a car weighing 768kg.. Its weird because the rev counter only goes up to 8K,... so you end up going off the end of it, if you are wellying it.

Yep that was totally stock K20A. Gets a few more horses due to teh exhaust manifold, which is custom.

Thing is though the speed with which you can go flying past the limit is just stupid... its so easy, that you can't help yourself.. and believe me i can't. 25 points for speeding is enough at this point... don't need anymore. :shock:

There isn't much that will stay with you in a straightline or round the corners.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
millentubby

Post by millentubby »

you'd have to get an SC E51 diff to handle that power though...or see about getting an aftermarket LSD which do exist.

The benefits of the honda lump are certainly there;

Reliability, parts availability, tuning parts availability aswell...its all there.
juanwond

Post by juanwond »

Colin_AW11 wrote:you'd have to get an SC E51 diff to handle that power though...or see about getting an aftermarket LSD which do exist.

Reliability, parts availability, tuning parts availability aswell...its all there.

Would have thought the mk1 would put that sort of power down as standard as the K20A isn't a high torque engine?Would certainly be usefull in the wet though as the standard car can be pretty tail happy as it is..i once 'changed lanes' coming of a roundabout onto a dual carriageway without touching the steering wheel...the back end lost traction, slid a foot or so then regained traction and off i shot :shock: ...not fun and v.lucky there was nothing in the outside lane. Completely my fault but even so i certainly wasn't pushing the car.

Agree on the benefits of the Honda unit, if it can be made to fit i think it would be a perfect engine for the '2, even as standard...then there's the tuning potential; i've not looked into it but i'm sure it would be quite possible to get well over 200 bhp from it, though i doubt cheaply. Still it gives plenty of scope for the future :) .

Juan.
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

juanwond wrote:...then there's the tuning potential; i've not looked into it but i'm sure it would be quite possible to get well over 200 bhp from it, though i doubt cheaply. Still it gives plenty of scope for the future :) .

Juan.

Juan, you're not wrong! :P For the Lotus Elise there are companies now supplying supercharged versions of this Honda engine, producing 300hp! :shock:

Haven't been in one myself but have been in a Turbo Technics Supercharged Rover K Series Elise at Oulton Park at a trackday after our car broke down. :(. This produces 235bhp.

Well I've got to say it was awesome :twisted:. The driver was excellent too. A great experience and easily offset the disappointment of missing the entire afternoon.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

Icsunonove wrote:
juanwond wrote:...then there's the tuning potential; i've not looked into it but i'm sure it would be quite possible to get well over 200 bhp from it, though i doubt cheaply. Still it gives plenty of scope for the future :) .

Juan.

Juan, you're not wrong! :P For the Lotus Elise there are companies now supplying supercharged versions of this Honda engine, producing 300hp! :shock:

Haven't been in one myself but have been in a Turbo Technics Supercharged Rover K Series Elise at Oulton Park at a trackday after our car broke down. :(. This produces 235bhp.

Well I've got to say it was awesome :twisted:. The driver was excellent too. A great experience and easily offset the disappointment of missing the entire afternoon.

a friend of mine has an ariel atom with a supercharged type R engine, not yet been in it but hoping for a blast soon
juanwond

Post by juanwond »

Icsunonove wrote:

Juan.

=P~ 300hp in a mk1 =P~ ...now we're talking!! "Doing the maths" that's 1000kg of mk1, to 300bhp so ,er 300hp/ton!! :cyclops: :evil: ....if i can get this thing to fit, that's one hell of a future prospect.Even better, after doing a quick search, found a company that provides the kit along with a power graph...max power arrives when?..at 8,400 rpm that's when :!: (continues to 8,800!)... ohh lordy lordy me, just how much fun could you have with that, i'd lose my license within the week. :twisted: Think i'm going to have to hide my wallet before I go and do something rash,......i want one in my car NOW!

Wonder how the ol' mk1 would cope with that sort of power/torque though....sideways would be my guess :lol:

What is the most powerfull mk1 out there, one of the 'tubby' conversions?, be interesting to see their annual tire bill........suspect they probably need 'windscreen wipers' fitted to their side windows for rainy weather :lol:

Juan.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Colin_AW11 wrote:you'd have to get an SC E51 diff to handle that power though...or see about getting an aftermarket LSD which do exist.

A stock NA box would handle it no problem. Though really you would use the hinda box with the engine, so its not an issue.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

juanwond wrote:
What is the most powerfull mk1 out there, one of the 'tubby' conversions?, be interesting to see their annual tire bill........suspect they probably need 'windscreen wipers' fitted to their side windows for rainy weather :lol:

Juan.

There are a few of us out here now. Though I've just sold mine, I would guess that it's probably around the 260-270bhp region. It's surprisingly gentle to drive as with the bigger compressor section I'm using on the turbo, I get a little more lag than standard - so you have to really want to be pushing it to make it go.
It makes it easy to drive around at ~5psi if you're not going for it.
juanwond

Post by juanwond »

MegatronUK wrote:
juanwond wrote:

Juan.

There are a few of us out here now. Though I've just sold mine, I would guess that it's probably around the 260-270bhp region. It's surprisingly gentle to drive as with the bigger compressor section I'm using on the turbo, I get a little more lag than standard - so you have to really want to be pushing it to make it go.
It makes it easy to drive around at ~5psi if you're not going for it.

How well does it handle the power when you do go for it in the dry?...what suspension mods/tyres are you running out of interest?

Juan.
nicedude1976

Post by nicedude1976 »

I have also started thinking of the VTECT (R-Type Civic) engine in my MK1 rather than the 3sGTE as I prefer non-turbo, and the 200 hp should be really lovely. Why should it cost more anyway? Also anyone knows how the engine+box weight of that compares to the standard MK1's ?
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

I think Toyota missed a trick by not doing a special edition Mk3 Roadster with the 1.8 S/C engine out of the Corolla Compressor.... :twisted:

Now that WOULD be fun.....! :D

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”