Fitment of aftermarket alloys

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

FossMan

Fitment of aftermarket alloys

Post by FossMan »

I've just aquired some Rondell X-spoke alloys that i've fitted to my '89 MR2.

The standard Toyota wheel nuts that came off did not fit the new alloys, so I used the nuts that came with the wheels.

Went for a little drive with the new wheels and found that the nuts were not staying tight. I'm a little paranoid of warping the discs so I don't want to do them up with too much force, so could this be the reason they have loosened? If so, what tension should I do the nuts up to to ensure they stay on without damaging the discs?

The alternative is this... I also noticed that the original nuts had washers built in to them, wheras the new ones do not. Is this the reason that the wheels have come loose?

Chris :)
System-G

Re: Fitment of aftermarket alloys

Post by System-G »

Do up the wheel nuts in opposites. I torque mine up to 100NM, go for a drive and then re-torque to 140NM. Not had them loosen like that, but I have forgotten to torque up a wheel at all once... before going out on track... :oops: :whistle:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
FossMan

Post by FossMan »

You say that yours have not come loose but do you run aftermarket wheels with non-standard nuts?
triplecustard

Post by triplecustard »

check CAREFULLY some wheels are held tight with a washer attached to nut while some are held by a taper on nut face. DONT mix types up. Also remember to have the appropiate spigot ring in the back of aftermarket alloys.
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

System-G wrote:Do up the wheel nuts in opposites. I torque mine up to 100NM, go for a drive and then re-torque to 140NM. Not had them loosen like that, but I have forgotten to torque up a wheel at all once... before going out on track... :oops: :whistle:

thats FAR too tight. 85-100Nm is what they should be torqued to, just the once, and not retightened once hot. if wheel nuts are loosening then there are issues beyond the torque settings, you should never need to go higher, and doing so risks pulling a wheel stud through, which is equally as likely to lose you a wheel as under tightening (within reason)!

as for the original posters question, are the nuts the correct nuts for the job? look at the way they locate on the wheel, are they tapered, flat with sleeves, or just totally flat? and what torque are you doing them up to? if you havent torqued them properly then thats your first job, torque them to 90Nm and see what happens. dont overtighten them though. if theyre still coming undone then youve got something more wrong

just a quick check to make, are the wheels hubcentric? and is the hubcentric bore correct? if you dont know what this means, then hubcentric is the location method for the wheel, there is a large bore in the middle of the wheel which slots over a corresponding outer bore on the hub. the wheel sits firmly on this so that all the wheels do is hold it against the hub, the hubcentric system locates the wheel centrally and longitudinally. chances are that unless these wheels were Toyota fitment they will have a larger centre bore (if they had a smaller bore you wouldnt have got them on) and thus the wheel nuts are all that is locating the wheel centrally. this often doesnt work and allows the wheel to vibrate and work loose, not to mention the fact it might not be concentric and will cause your car to drive like it has egg shaped wheels! if the hubcentric bore is wrong then youll need to get spigot rings to sort it, however ive never managed to find spigot rings for sale which fit other std manufacturer wheels to the MR2, only spigot rings for larger bore aftermarket wheels. so you might have to get some machined

also, check the offset of the wheels, if it isnt between ET35-42 then you might want to consider spacers too
FossMan

Post by FossMan »

Thanks Jim, very useful.

The new nuts are tapered. I will check to see if they suit the alloy wheels.

I don't have a torque wrench at home so when i put them on I just did it by feel, so i wil have to check that also.

Thirdly, the wheels came off a 4x100 VW Polo. So the spigot ring will be will be too big I would have thought from what you are saying. What size is required for the MR2?

Thanks again everyone :)
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

AW11 is 54.1mm internal diameter (along with most Toyotas i beleive), VW's tend to be 60.1mm if memory serves correct.

given that they are aftermarket wheels i expect their centre bore is already much larger, and they probably already have spigot rings in VW fitment? if so then just find out what the centre bore is and jump on ebay as there is usually common sized spigot rings for sale on there that will suit your purpose :)
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

BTW Jim the BGB states 76ft-Ib for the wheel nuts which is 103NM. Haynes states 87ft-Ib IIRC (About 120NM) so Garrick ain't far out.
System-G

Post by System-G »

LeSpank wrote:You say that yours have not come loose but do you run aftermarket wheels with non-standard nuts?

Yes

Jim-SR wrote:thats FAR too tight. 85-100Nm is what they should be torqued to

Sorry dissagree with you (again :mrgreen: ). I have had wheel nuts come loose when torqued to 100NM. I know quite a few MK1 track heads that have had wheel nuts come loose (on track) and since feel the need to torque up wheel nuts a lot more than I do.

Also I tend not tighten when hot (sorry didn't make that clear... :oops: ) unless absolutely neccessary - like when they came loose on track.
FossMan

Post by FossMan »

Just had a peek in the MR2 manual and it states 103Nm

Also found out that the bore of my alloys is 70.4mm, so i'll be needing 70.4 --> 54.1 spigots. The Polo that the wheels came off have a 57.1mm centre bore

Even after looking at the wheels I can't tell if the tapered style nut is the right one for my car or not :oops: :?
System-G

Post by System-G »

The tapered nuts should fit the profile of the rim. You need at least 3 full turns of 360deg (on thread) by hand before you apply any torque. Torque the wheels up as stated in the manual or increase slightly if/when required.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”