Best place to get an exhaust???

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Aitch

Best place to get an exhaust???

Post by Aitch »

Any recommendations - I went to ATS and when the price came up on the computer, the bloke physically stepped away from it while sucking a great dollop of air through his teeth :shock: For a full system, they wanted ~£360 :roll:

I've got a wanted thread on here, but no joy yet with that :(
monkeymax

Re: Best place to get an exhaust???

Post by monkeymax »

Are you after Stainless Steel or not worried?
Lauren usually recommends JP Exhausts ( http://www.jpexhausts.co.uk/ ) (how sad is that - I've actually remembered the name of an exhaust place that's too far away for me to go to myself... lol) which may be of use to you...?

You could get a new Magnex for less than £300 from a few places and then fit it yourself...
Knightkiller

Post by Knightkiller »

JP are in macclesfield IIRC, not too far away from you Aitch. :D
Negativvv

Post by Negativvv »

Theres a Mongoose one on ebay, u could try winning that. It looks like its in quite good nick and everyone buys Magnex/Mongoose (same design apparently) anyway lol

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=009
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Aitch wrote:Any recommendations - I went to ATS and when the price came up on the computer, the bloke physically stepped away from it while sucking a great dollop of air through his teeth :shock: For a full system, they wanted ~£360 :roll:

I've got a wanted thread on here, but no joy yet with that :(

For gods sake, you only live in congleton. JPexhausts in Macc!

FTLOG! (EDIT: I didn't read anyone else's replies) :oops:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
l0hn

Post by l0hn »

I ordered a mongoose from http://www.jap-spec-performance.co.uk

turned up this morning, looking forward to getting it on the car \:D/

was £255.00 delivered
steveybMR2-173

Post by steveybMR2-173 »

we're ordering a full Mongoose system from Jamie at Japspec next week for our track Mk1 project, as I noticed the other night that half of the back box had fallen off!
Black 1994 Mk2 Rev 3 GT Turbo T-Bar
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I bought the £257 mongoose off of ebay, and its value for money!

Very easy to fit!

I was quoted £400 from Toyota in Colchester, that was with £142 discount off of parts and labour as my mk1a was 21 years old, and qualified for that discount.
steveybMR2-173

Post by steveybMR2-173 »

We've got a spare standard back box thats off our 1st project car that is currently being stripped and is off the car that you could have cheap, not been over to the unit in a while but I seem to remember it being in pretty good nick, if you want any more off the system bring your socket set, the cars only in Leek.

This is surplus to requirements now as we have ordered a Mongoose full system for the track car project today.
midenginedmaniac

Post by midenginedmaniac »

I need a new one sometime. Mine is patched up and painted with hammerite at the moment. Not sure how long it will last.

Hmm mongoose seams popular.
bburn13

Post by bburn13 »

Aitch wrote:I was hoping that someone might have a cheap standard one left lying about that I could snaffle. I'm probably selling the car anyway, so I don't want to spend money on an exhaust I'm not going to get benefit from.

The are not something that most people just keep lying around!!!
You can tell this by the eBay prices:- they don`t go cheap!!!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-BREAKI ... dZViewItem
If you really want to try and get one as cheap as poss, you should try going on ebay, find a braking for spares eg
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-BREAKI ... dZViewItem
Give them a ring see if the car has got a good one. See how much they want for it
Good Luck
Dave
89 SC - Beauty.
89 Track n/ail - The Red Dwarf
84 Blue 1.5 Tin Top Rummy, 54 RX8 -Rex
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

steveybMR2-173 wrote:We've got a spare standard back box thats off our 1st project car that is currently being stripped and is off the car that you could have cheap, not been over to the unit in a while but I seem to remember it being in pretty good nick, if you want any more off the system bring your socket set, the cars only in Leek.

This is surplus to requirements now as we have ordered a Mongoose full system for the track car project today.

Cheers Steve - you have PM
trunks_mk1

Post by trunks_mk1 »

l0hn wrote:I ordered a mongoose from http://www.jap-spec-performance.co.uk

turned up this morning, looking forward to getting it on the car \:D/

was £255.00 delivered

how long did it take for delivery?
l0hn

Post by l0hn »

Delivery was next day after payment had cleared. Their card machine wasn't working when i ordered so payed by bank transfer which took a few days, i expect they've probably sorted it out by now tho.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Just curious as to why the magnex is so much more then then the mongoose in the above site?? I thort they were pretty much the same exhaust.

The mongoose is cheap though and i paid the same for my janspeed.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Exhausts

Post by oukie »

Keep a good eye out on ebay I bought this monster custom Powerflow system for only GBP,150 ,they are about GBP,450 :shock: brand new

On the car

un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Was that just the backbox or from the manifold?
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Un1eash
It was from the manifold in two parts (as per normal) the down pipe with flexi bit and then the back box , dont have a piccie of the down pipe i was eager to get it on so i forgot.

Although the joints are differant than the bolt together standard ones this , along with most if not all s/s exhausts is a sleeve join

Must put a warning up this exhaust is LOUD :mrgreen: ,So if you dont do loud dont do Powerflow
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Looking at the mongoose and magnex i definitely think the janspeed is off better build quality. Its design is quite different aswell as it has 2 pipes going into the backbox and the downpipes are longer until they join. Also uses a ball joint flex.
steveybMR2-173

Post by steveybMR2-173 »

Our Mongoose landed here today from Jap Spec, looks nice and swanky compared to the old and falling apart stock system that is hanging on there for dear life, minus one tail pipe now!

Just got to find somewhere to fit it now pronto, as I cant be bothered to be crawling around underneath trying to fit it, with countless pins no doubt snapping etc etc #-o

Hoping the deeper exhaust note will drown out the tappety engine noise! tee hee

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”