[Mk2] [Generic] Power steering has become hard?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

milan

[Mk2] [Generic] Power steering has become hard?

Post by milan »

Hi I have a rev 2 GLtd and it has never had any problems with the power steering, however over the last week it seems like when I am turning the steering wheel the steering seems harder to turn, at slow speeds its actually very hard to turn and there is a loud squeeling sound especially on full lock, any ideas what it could be?? :?:
robbie_742003

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Power steering has become hard?

Post by robbie_742003 »

Hi mate
It sounds like either you're running low on power steering fluid or the relay has become stuck. Have you had any dash lights appear?

Rob
milan

Post by milan »

No dash lights have appeared, I will check the diagnostics tonight to see if there are any error codes.

I did have a look at the power steering fluid and when i opened the filler cap there are no markings to show high or low levels of fluid, there is only a plastic stick on the cap which shows if the fluid is hot (high) or cold (low). Is there a way to check the level?
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

milan wrote:

I did have a look at the power steering fluid and when i opened the filler cap there are no markings to show high or low levels of fluid, there is only a plastic stick on the cap which shows if the fluid is hot (high) or cold (low). Is there a way to check the level?

Thats how you check the level mate, whether the fluid is hot or cold if it matches up to the corresponding level. Then you'll know.

Rob
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

You can check if it's the relay by switching on and off the ignition lots of times...

Then trying it again.
T
milan

Post by milan »

I checked the level when it was cold and it was up to the cold mark, so i decided to buy some power steering fluid anyway and top it up and hey presto! Turned the wheel full lock each side for about 10 seconds each and it was perfect again. So no major costs involed their, thank god!

Return to “Mechanical”