TRACKDAY and ACTIVITY WEEKEND! *Rockingham 22nd/23rd Sept*

Reports and Feedback from MR2 related events

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

anna

Re: TRACKDAY and ACTIVITY WEEKEND! *Rockingham 22nd/23rd Sept*

Post by anna »

lower wrote:You guys need to start getting this one booked if you're going.They'll be more of us there in S2000's than MR2's at this rate :)

Any of you want to come and mess about in 4x4's and quad bikes the day before?

You're more than welcome to join us for the other activities if you want :)
GO60 - Gaydon to Singapore Overland www.go60sharing.co.uk
Off soon! Follow my personal blog at http://go60.blogspot.com
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

cool - there are a few bookings for the MR2 crowd :thumleft:

Booked:

Terry Keefe ,Derbys, RED MR2 MK1 (120bhp)
Garrick Abrahamson & Jo Walker, Northampton, Red Toyota MKI MR2 (122bhp)
Simon Marsh, Worcestershire, White Toyota Mr2 Turbo (300bhp)
Michael Rawlings, Nailsea, Blue Toyota MR2 Mk2 - V6 (200bhp)
David Merriman, Warrington, TBA

provisional:

Anna & Alex Speed, Warwickshire, Blue Toyota MR2 Mk1 SC (180bhp)
Guy Clark, Warwick, White Toyota MR2 Mk1 (123bhp)
lower

Post by lower »

System-G wrote:

Saw a couple of your S2k club mates at Donny the week before last

Dony on the 31st July? I was there for the evening session. I saw a couple of Mk1's in the car park and on the track. which one was yours?

and had a good chin wag with them about your brakes :mrgreen:

what, mine personally :lol:

Brakes just about made it though the session. Fronts are rumbly but still working. I've got some new discs to go on from Disc Brakes Australia. They have a special internal vane profile that improves the airflow (hence cooling) and also stiffens the disc to help prevent warping and 'ballooning'. Not cheap at £300 a pair, but if they do the job i'll be happy.

details here if you're interested
http://www.dba.com.au/2006/videoclip.asp

Also accepted a kind offer from Peter with a heavily modified (for track use) S2000 to go out as a passenger. Was very impressed 8)

Peter's car is a bit of a monster. Never yet gone out with him as a passenger but he's always my benchmark for speed. If i can keep up with him on either braking or cornering i'm driving bloody well and he's having a bad day :)

It'll be the same lot coming to Rockingham as were there for Dony the other week, 5 of us in s2k's i think and then we've got a proper club outing at Dony on 13th October. 16 of us booked so far but we normally get 25ish cars there on a club day.

Rockingham on the 23rd will be their first tryout, and a hard one at that. Rockingham was where my spoon ones cracked.
lower

Post by lower »

anna wrote:
lower wrote:You guys need to start getting this one booked if you're going.They'll be more of us there in S2000's than MR2's at this rate :)

Any of you want to come and mess about in 4x4's and quad bikes the day before?

You're more than welcome to join us for the other activities if you want :)

Thanks for the invite Anna. I'll ask the question over on the thread for the Rockingham trackday on S2ki.

Good luck getting a few more MR2's there. The days are always good fun when there's a good club atmosphere there.
Tomiam

Post by Tomiam »

Is it time to go play at Rockingham yet?.... :D
Seems like ages to go.. arghghghg.

I see what you mean about it filling up fast too. Come on folks, get yer tickets.. roll up roll up! :) Anyone fancy timing themselves against the Ferrari 550? **gulp!
Simarshy

Post by Simarshy »

Hmm Ferrari fun ;)

Going to be seriously good fun. Nice to having some of the s2000 guys along, I'm really interested seeing how they compare when driven well.

Looking a very fun day ;)

Oh yer Ferrari is all mine *grins*

Si
Simarshy

Post by Simarshy »

Just read the guy's profile...

I'm boned
Turbo-G

Post by Turbo-G »

Anybody care to say how suitable rockingham will be for a virginal track outing as a driver? Only ever driven at brunters in a gallardo for 5 laps or so... very interested in this...

May just got for the pm session though. :thumleft:
System-G

Post by System-G »

Turbo-G wrote:Anybody care to say how suitable rockingham will be for a virginal track outing as a driver? Only ever driven at brunters in a gallardo for 5 laps or so... very interested in this...

From what I remember being there for the World Record thingy, there's loads of run-off where it matters. It's also fairly flat so you can see hazards ahead like a car spun and facing the wrong way on the track - much like airfields except kinder to tyres :thumleft:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
System-G

Post by System-G »

lower wrote:
Dony on the 31st July? I was there for the evening session. I saw a couple of Mk1's in the car park and on the track. which one was yours?

Mine was the stripped out red one in the car park. Tom's was the mica blue SC. We were there to support and passenger with Sy Taylor and his dad in their 'new' MK1 for track which still needs a fair amount of suspension work doing to it. It was quite amuzing to see the car wizzing around with the back end on fire :shock: Fortunately an easy solveable fault.

and had a good chin wag with them about your brakes :mrgreen:

what, mine personally :lol:

Yup :mrgreen:

I just mentioned to a bloke from S2k (can't remember his name) about your disc breakage we spoke about on this forum a little while ago :)
lower

Post by lower »

Turbo-G wrote:Anybody care to say how suitable rockingham will be for a virginal track outing as a driver? Only ever driven at brunters in a gallardo for 5 laps or so... very interested in this...

Rockingham is pretty good for track newbies i'd say. There is plenty of run off everywhere except of the banked corner (turn 4 which has a big wall running along the edge of it). To be fair, i found the wall quite intimidating so didn't go flat out in turn 4 at first until i gained confidence.

Look at booking some tuition if you're worried.
lower

Post by lower »

I'm also interested to see how the S2000's perform against an MR2 turbo. I never tracked my old rev2 turbo and apart from attending my first trackday at Donington with the IMOC a few years ago, i've never seen one on the track when i've been driving.

The s2k handling should be much better, but i'm interested to see how the perform overall too.

Simarshy wrote:Hmm Ferrari fun ;)

Going to be seriously good fun. Nice to having some of the s2000 guys along, I'm really interested seeing how they compare when driven well.

Looking a very fun day ;)

Oh yer Ferrari is all mine *grins*

Si
lower

Post by lower »

System-G wrote:
Mine was the stripped out red one in the car park. Tom's was the mica blue SC. We were there to support and passenger with Sy Taylor and his dad in their 'new' MK1 for track which still needs a fair amount of suspension work doing to it. It was quite amuzing to see the car wizzing around with the back end on fire :shock: Fortunately an easy solveable fault.
I just mentioned to a bloke from S2k (can't remember his name) about your disc breakage we spoke about on this forum a little while ago :)

I did see your cars there and wondered if it was anyone from here.

Mine was the silver s2k with red tape on the number plate (which i forgot to remove when i left the circuit and drove 30 miles home with my number plate partially obscured).
Turbo-G

Post by Turbo-G »

I think I'll book up this week then.

Any idea how many hours the PM session will run for?
Tomiam

Post by Tomiam »

Looked perfect to be honest. I'll be making my track day debut too, so you're not alone. :D I've booked one of the BaT instructors for a 20 mins session, as it was only £20 quid or so.

Run off - loads. Have a look on YouTube for "Ariel Atom Rockingham". :)
anna

Post by anna »

Half day bookings now being taken!

www.bookatrack.co.uk Rockingham 23rd Sept
Click on book now (at £199) and on the booking screen the last option box 'half day option' will give you the option to choose am or pm session. Simply select whether you want am or pm, and it will discount £94 making the cost £105 for a half day.

:thumleft:
GO60 - Gaydon to Singapore Overland www.go60sharing.co.uk
Off soon! Follow my personal blog at http://go60.blogspot.com
Turbo-G

Post by Turbo-G »

Booked myself in for the half day AM session, bringing my dad along as a second driver. Should be a good day out :thumleft: :D

Booked:
Grant Archer & Phil Archer, Tamworth, Red MR2 GT-S Turbo (300bhp)
Terry Keefe ,Derbys, RED MR2 MK1 (120bhp)
Garrick Abrahamson & Jo Walker, Northampton, Red Toyota MKI MR2 (122bhp)
Simon Marsh, Worcestershire, White Toyota Mr2 Turbo (300bhp)
Michael Rawlings, Nailsea, Blue Toyota MR2 Mk2 - V6 (200bhp)
Chris Fuks, London, White MR2 MK1 (122bhp)
Anna & Alex Speed, Warwickshire, Blue Toyota MR2 Mk1 SC (180bhp)

provisional:
Guy Clark, Warwick, White Toyota MR2 Mk1 (123bhp)
System-G

Post by System-G »

Turbo-G wrote:Booked myself in for the half day AM session, bringing my dad along as a second driver. Should be a good day out :thumleft: :D

Well done Grant :D

I'm sure you won't regret it :thumleft:

Bring spare cash or your credit/debit card... you may find yourself wanting to do the afternoon session as well :mrgreen:
Turbo-G

Post by Turbo-G »

Yeah, possiblly :lol: Although 3/4 hours of ragging time should be enough to get a feel for the car and track without mullering my tyres and clutch etc :lol:

Should be a good test for the standard rev3 suspension setup + strut braces. I feel tein superstreets may well be a worthy purchase next :thumleft:
System-G

Post by System-G »

Still... don't forget you credit/debit card... you'll be surprised how quick 4 hours go by when two drivers are having fun :mrgreen:

Return to “Past Events”