scraping noise??

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2bing

scraping noise??

Post by mr2bing »

last night a scraping noise appearing to come from the front offside wheel,
only on left turning, even when going slow around a corner you can hear this slight scraping noise. it is not there when going straight or turning right!! any ideas?? ](*,)
Jay

Re: scraping noise??

Post by Jay »

Check the tyre isnt rubbing on the arch liner, mine does it just slighltly when turning left.

But it cured its self in the end i wore a huge whole in the liner, problem solved :mrgreen: =D>

Jay
M_Lud

Post by M_Lud »

Hiya!

Two other possibilities to throw into the mix...
1. Have you had the wheel off recently? If so, check the dust shield around the disk hasn't been bent slightly when removing / replacing the wheel.
2. The calliper could be sticking slightly allowing the pad to drag on the disk when cornering.

Wheels / disks / hubs give a little bit when going round corners and it only takes a fraction of a mil to allow the pad or the dust shield to contact the disk. It sounds like a horrendous metal-on-metal noise but it's easy to fix.

A third option is that the wheel bearing is shot, but I'd have thought you'd have heard a prominent rumble from that side a long time before hearing any effects on the brake disk!

l8r,
Jay (a different one :o)
Matt

Post by Matt »

I would say it is your caliper sticking. Have you recently had new discs fitted?? I had exactly the same thing (only when turning left) about 3000 miles after my new discs were fitted. After a while it started to stick regardless of direction and my whole wheel was smoking as it had got so hot!! I had a new caliper fitted last month and now its ok. :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Likely to be:

Seizing caliper

Wheel bearing

Caliper sounds more like a squeaking noise.

Wheel bearing is like a chatter. Was to test really is to drive along a road where there is a concrete wall or something that will reflect the sound. Put your passenger window down and listen.

To check caliper, check how how the wheel surface is after a drive. If its obviously hotter than the other front wheel then seized caliper.
ryan

Post by ryan »

Is your undertray loose? Mine came away at the front at many mph on the M6 once. Is ground the tray down to nothing.
Just an idea :?

Return to “Mechanical”