speed camera mix up

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

zak_godsell

speed camera mix up

Post by zak_godsell »

last night i drove past a local camera.obviously i was doing 40mph but some muppet going the other way set the camera off.this camera only faces the direction i was driving.the question is will i be prosecuted :?
blue2

Re: speed camera mix up

Post by blue2 »

Erm thats strange. If the camera was facing your direction then you must have set it off. Speed cameras only take pics of the back of your car as you go through it and not the front so if there was film in the camera it looks like you've got 3 points and a fine. Keep your fingers crossed that it was empty.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Most cameras take a front facing picture now, stops you sayin "i wasnt driving"
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Ive had this happen. you shouldn't be prosecuted. protest if they try.
blue2

Post by blue2 »

I'm confused, every camera in a 50mile radius of where I live is a yellow gasto type, Ive never seen a front facing camera. You said it was facing the direction you were traveling, does that mean it was pointed at the rear of your car when you drove through it ie like a gatso camera. If it was a front facing camera then I dont get how it was set of by another car unless it was on the other side of the road and a gatso type in which case he was caught not you. Or he over took you and went through the camera in front of you. :?
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

blue2 wrote:I'm confused, every camera in a 50mile radius of where I live is a yellow gasto type, Ive never seen a front facing camera. You said it was facing the direction you were traveling, does that mean it was pointed at the rear of your car when you drove through it ie like a gatso camera. If it was a front facing camera then I dont get how it was set of by another car unless it was on the other side of the road and a gatso type in which case he was caught not you. Or he over took you and went through the camera in front of you. :?

The cameras are wide lens, By chessington world of adventures theres a rear facing one that people set off coming from the other direction about 200m away! A bit further down the road by maldon rushet there is a rear facing camera that has such a wide lens that cars coming the other way set it off (even though there are no lines on the road)
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

It is not unusual for a gatso which takes pictures of the rear to be set off by a speeding car in the other direction.

Basically they shouldn't do you as the road markings will back up your story of not speeding - they can be measured and your speed calculated manually. If you did get a ticket you can use this as a defence too.

T
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

blue2 wrote:Erm thats strange. If the camera was facing your direction then you must have set it off. Speed cameras only take pics of the back of your car as you go through it and not the front so if there was film in the camera it looks like you've got 3 points and a fine. Keep your fingers crossed that it was empty.

You can set cameras off going in the opposite direction to which they are set up to capture people. But no you should not be prosecuted for it, the placement of your vehicle on the lines will show whether you were speeding or not.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
Negativvv

Post by Negativvv »

Theres one near me that goes off to cars in the opposite direction, no one i know whos been setting it off on purpose has been prosecuted yet lol! Its pretty stupid as its on a blind corner down a hill. Someone did die there awhile ago but surely placing it another 30 meters or so up the road BEFORE the bend and not around it would "prevent more deaths"?!? :roll:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

If the other car set it off i wouldn't worry about it.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

blue2 wrote: If the camera was facing your direction then you must have set it off.

...tha' jus' aint true man...

There is a "photograph you from the back" camera in Vange on the outskirts of Basildon. The markings on the road are on the same side as the camera. I was driving in the opposite lane going towards it and I had drifted over the limit (it's a 40 there I think, and I was doing about 46 - 48 I would estimate). It flashed me, hence proving that you can set them off from the other lane and direction.
zak_godsell

Post by zak_godsell »

this camera is facing the back of the car as you drive past.so it will be obvious to whoever looks at these picture it was not me who set it off then :?:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Gordy wrote:
...tha' jus' aint true man...

There is a "photograph you from the back" camera in Vange on the outskirts of Basildon. The markings on the road are on the same side as the camera. I was driving in the opposite lane going towards it and I had drifted over the limit (it's a 40 there I think, and I was doing about 46 - 48 I would estimate). It flashed me, hence proving that you can set them off from the other lane and direction.

You are quite right. An instructor friend of mine has this thing about playing games with cameras pointing the other way. He times it so that he sets it off on the other side of the road when a car is going past the other way. Its a bit of a sport it seems for some people.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

zak_godsell wrote:this camera is facing the back of the car as you drive past.so it will be obvious to whoever looks at these picture it was not me who set it off then :?:

I have known of cases where they still try and do you. Unfortunately speeding is not innocent until proven guilty! If they do try it on, it can be dealt with though. We'll deal with that if it happens, PM me. :wink:
T
Graeme Shaw

Post by Graeme Shaw »

I have set ff gatsos goin other way loads of times!

I was worried at first, i even emailed "Rd Angel". A "GATSO" CAN NOT GET YOU IF ITS FACING YOU.

Graeme
mart1975

Post by mart1975 »

loads of cameras take front facing pics, ive seen a few on one way systems.
king_ginge86

Post by king_ginge86 »

its actually against the law for them to take a picture of your car from the front, they're not allowed to take a pic of your face! its against your human rights apparently...n thats right from a police officers mouth. so if it took a pic of the bk of your car looks like the fine is on its way to you but if your adament it wasnt you, take it to court!!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

That's nonsense unfortunately. The infra red forward facing cameras (Truvelo) have always taken a picture of your face, as do mobile speed vans.

T
Tommo-GTS

Post by Tommo-GTS »

has happened to me a couple of times - I set a gatso off - by driving in the opposite direction - however - I've noticed it only flashes once, to work out your speed - it needs to flash twice.

You will not get a ticket - dont worry - :thumleft:
Harry

Post by Harry »

Damn cameras are a pest!!! :evil:

Return to “Driving Experiences”