B Service

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

lffuller

B Service

Post by lffuller »

Hi

I need to get a service done on my MR2 and wondered if anyone can give me advice. It's due a B Service. I seem to be getting some high prices for this service - up to £300. Is that a fair price to pay, and would anyone recommend anywhere to take it Surrey/Berkshire or should I just take it to the local Toyota garage?

Thanks.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Re: B Service

Post by Charged »

For the benefit of the uneducated (ie me!) can you explain what a 'B Service' Involves?

If you live in Surrey, your best bet is to speak to Kev (Crazylegs) as he is friendly with his local main dealer.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Negativvv

Post by Negativvv »

A B service is as stated in the original manual, cant remember what it is exactly and i dont have it with me at the mo! :oops:
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

£300 sounds way to high for any service, i'd expect a cambelt change for that price. But then im not quite sure what a b service involves either.

I service my own car every year (5-6k a year) which includes...

£15 Oil
£5 Oil filter
£4 Rotor Arm (every 2 years)
£15 Dizzy Cap (every 2 years)
£6 spark plugs
£15 Brake fluid (every 2 years)

Totol £60

Not much else to do on a service apart from coolant change.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Sorry to butt in again, does anyone know the price of HT leads from Mr T? For my mk1a na...
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I believe there around £70-90 from Mr T.
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Charged wrote:Sorry to butt in again, does anyone know the price of HT leads from Mr T? For my mk1a na...

Ollie, no idea if the leads are the same for the Mk1a as they are for the Mk1b, but my price quote from Toyota at the beginning of May was:

HT Lead Set
Part number: 90919-21411
Unit price: £95.39
Price with VAT: £112.08

As for what a B service is, it's detailed in the Knowledge Base:
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=45
(B service is half way down)

In my opinion, for a service that consists of a lot of checks on a car that is coming up to 20 years old, £300 is a lot - plus who knows what they will find when they check these things.
Personally if I was going to take the car for a service to someone else, I'd try to find someone knowledgable about the specific cars. One of the other affiliates that you could give a try is 3S ( http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/profile.ph ... ile&u=3059 ). They are probably not too far from you (Hook) and I've heard good things about them though cannot vouch for them personally as I've never taken the car to someone else to do the work for me... yet...

HTH...

-Max
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Find a small independent. I wouldn't trust your car with toyota. They simply do not work on enough MK1s anymore so have forgotten how to work on them if that makes sense.

If we knew where you were we may be able to recommend someone local to you. Why not fill in the location section of your profile?
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

monkeymax wrote:Price with VAT: £112.08

eeek!!! Was expecting £50-60 ish...
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

un1eash wrote:£300 sounds way to high for any service, i'd expect a cambelt change for that price. But then im not quite sure what a b service involves either.

I service my own car every year (5-6k a year) which includes...

£15 Oil
£5 Oil filter
£4 Rotor Arm (every 2 years)
£15 Dizzy Cap (every 2 years)
£6 spark plugs
£15 Brake fluid (every 2 years)

Totol £60

Not much else to do on a service apart from coolant change.

Don't forget the inspections and checking of stuff like brake pads, condition of brake hoses, etc etc.

I do my own work, and generally I set aside half a day at the weekend to do a leisurely service including an oil flush and inspecting everything on the car.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

BenF wrote:

Don't forget the inspections and checking of stuff like brake pads, condition of brake hoses, etc etc.

I do my own work, and generally I set aside half a day at the weekend to do a leisurely service including an oil flush and inspecting everything on the car.

I always do my own work now, being abit of a mechanic on the side its alright as i know the condition of my car inside out. If you really dont know what your doing then yes, go to a garage. This is why dealers charge so much, because poeple dont know what to look out for.
lffuller

Post by lffuller »

Hi Lauren

I'm in Sandhurst on the Surrey/Berkshire border. Funny you should mention finding a small independent. I've been thinking the same. When I called my local Toyota garage I got put through to a central call centre for Inchcape. When I told them I wanted a price for an '88 model service, the guy argued with me, saying I 'must' mean '98. I had to tell him twice before he would believe me! It turned out my car was older than him!!
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

lffuller wrote:Hi Lauren

I'm in Sandhurst on the Surrey/Berkshire border. Funny you should mention finding a small independent. I've been thinking the same. When I called my local Toyota garage I got put through to a central call centre for Inchcape. When I told them I wanted a price for an '88 model service, the guy argued with me, saying I 'must' mean '98. I had to tell him twice before he would believe me! It turned out my car was older than him!!

You could look at Ravenhurst/Ravenclaw/Ravenarse whatever their name is in Fleet. They looked after my MK1 when I was living in Fleet and they did a pretty good job too, not to expensive either. Just not been there for 2 years so can't recall their name.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”