[Mk2] [Turbo] TDI deisels are sleepers

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mattcambs

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] TDI deisels are sleepers

Post by mattcambs »

Don't worry dude. I agree totally. Many of them go extremely well. I want a big BMW diesel as my next daily drive, but the Civic keeps on bloody going though: 130K miles and it's still giving me 46 mpg just like when I bought it at 47K miles.
Craigo

Post by Craigo »

I have the use of my dads car which is an 07 A4 S-Line special edition 2.0Tdi 180bhp. It really does pull well in the mid-range - but theres no excitement there.

end of the day 0-60 is where i (personally) have the most fun and theres at least 3 seconds difference with my tubby and the A4.

Nevertheless i would recommend a diesel Audi to anybody - its an absolute pleasure to drive and i cant fault it in any shape or form. Ive hated driving diesels with a passion until papa turned to audi.

Still cant manage more than 45mpg when driven conservatively though.
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

Sorry but I like to rev my cars and hear the engine roaring away. TDI's just don't give that satisfaction BUT I agree some of them are quite nippy cars in the low to mid-range.
Bry

Post by Bry »

My dad recently had his bmw 120d remapped and on Perfect touch's Dyno it made 202bhp (fly) and 304 lbft's torque.I've driven it and it fly's,minimal lag,pulls all the way to the limiter and loads of mid range grunt to have some serious sideways fun,lovely gearbox too.
Watch out OZ here I come !!
Raf

Post by Raf »

i drive a BMW 530d (E39):

stock it was:

184bhp & 390nm torque

i spent the best £275 ever on a remap and now im on:

220bhp with a massive 480nm of torque!!!!

for real world driving its great; the power is there from low down in the rev range; overtaking is easy on country roads and yes you can catch people out in faster cars that dont drop down a cog.... they just dont have the torque! but i never line the barge up at lights; rolling starts i dont mind but they're not as "fun" as petrols!

however there are some really good diesels comming out; Mercs 420cdi (and there 320cdi is rapid!), BMW has a 535 twin turbo diesel (remapped these produce similar torque to the new M5!) and Audi has made a monster diesel too. but compare them to their petrol brothers and they just dont cut it for the purists!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”