[Mk2] [Turbo] Is this omori Boost gauge accurate

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gnzyza

[Mk2] [Turbo] Is this omori Boost gauge accurate

Post by gnzyza »

I got an Omori gauge that needs to be fitted into the dast. but when off it sits below the 0, one notch down so between 0 and 10.
is that normal?

does that mean this gauge is not going to be accurate?
gnzyza

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Is this omori Boost gauge accurate

Post by gnzyza »

I've got my dah out and everything but dont want to start hacking away at anything because might have to return the gauge.
simmo490

Post by simmo490 »

so buy mine in the for sale ;)
gtech

Post by gtech »

Yep thats normal on the Omori, which in fact are a very very accurate gauge. As a matter of interest, the other big names in Boost gauges get their mechanicals from Omori ;-)

If you need the fitting guide for this mod drop me an email at: [email protected].....Done loads of them and you wont have any problems.
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

gtech wrote:Yep thats normal on the Omori, which in fact are a very very accurate gauge. As a matter of interest, the other big names in Boost gauges get their mechanicals from Omori ;-)

If you need the fitting guide for this mod drop me an email at: [email protected].....Done loads of them and you wont have any problems.

Yep, deffo use this guys how to, i'm not the most technical of people but did this little mod in an hour or 2 being careful. :thumleft:
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

robbie_742003 wrote:
gtech wrote:Yep thats normal on the Omori, which in fact are a very very accurate gauge. As a matter of interest, the other big names in Boost gauges get their mechanicals from Omori ;-)

Yep, deffo use this guys how to, i'm not the most technical of people but did this little mod in an hour or 2 being careful. :thumleft:

Yep Emailed gtech today and he sent me the guide and very helpfull too- thanks mate :thumleft:
olly22n

Post by olly22n »

the omori in the standard position will appear to read out as it is at an angle, view it at 90 degrees and its bang on
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

You'll have to remove the glass on the gauge for an OEM style installation anyway and it's easy enough to pop off the needle to re-align it at 0 from your viewing angle once it's off. It's just a push fit on the spindle. I'd suggest a couple of plastic biro caps as they're tough but won't scratch anything.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Here's a shot of the pic,
The needle goes down to the line. just wanted to know if i say hit .8 bar does that mean its slightly more than that?

jmachling

Post by jmachling »

Looks like it'll be reading 0.04 bar/0.58 psi out, so 0.80/11.6 displayed will be 0.84/12.2. I wouldn't have thought that sort of inaccuracy would cause too many problems as long as you know about it.

With the engine off, the gauge should be reading normal atmospheric pressure of c. 1.013 bar, recalibrated to 0 bar on the gauge. I recalibrated mine to 0 when I got it as described above.
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

just to throw a spanner in the works here

perhaps the gauge read low at the moment cause the pressure is low thats why we are getting all the rain

for the gauge to read 0 the atmospheric pressure would need to be the same as what the gauge was calibrated to ,1000mb /1 bar maybe

also the vacum scale is in mmhg not bar so the scaling is a lot lower which probably means that what lloks like 0.04bar could be tiny

just an idea ,i'm too tired to do the correct maths :thumleft:
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

I think the scaling of the needle should be linear - it's just the common measurement of pressure is bar/psi and vacuum is mmHg (or cmHg in this case) The error should be the same: 0.04 bar = 3 cmHg.

Yes, the recent low pressure could have an effect - it went down to around 997 mBar recently which will make it look more inaccurate.

I guess the answer is either:

1) recalibrate the gauge for 'normal' atmospheric pressure where you are
2) learn to compensate for the small inaccuracry
3) send it back and get another one.

Whichever you choose, as long as you're careful and don't go OTT with boost you'll be fine.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

If its only out by that much its something i can compensate for. just didn't want the gauge to be throwing random numbers at me and only find out when my turbo goes pop :shock:
Stef Derner

Post by Stef Derner »

I work with laser cutting machines and one of the tools in my toolbox is a very accurate 0 to 2 bar (abs) pressure gauge reading in 0.1 millibar increments (or hPa, PSI). I tested our Omori boost gauge before connecting it up as it too was reading slightly below zero. The result was that the Omori was spot on, like 3sgte said, it seems the low atmospheric pressure is responsible, I'm quite happy that the gauge is accurate.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Stef Derner wrote:I work with laser cutting machines and one of the tools in my toolbox is a very accurate 0 to 2 bar (abs) pressure gauge reading in 0.1 millibar increments (or hPa, PSI). I tested our Omori boost gauge before connecting it up as it too was reading slightly below zero. The result was that the Omori was spot on, like 3sgte said, it seems the low atmospheric pressure is responsible, I'm quite happy that the gauge is accurate.

Thanks thats reassuring to know,They are known for they're accuracy. just wasn't sure if thats normal or not.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Chr15py's Omori (same gauge) reads exactly the same. He was worried about it too.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

mattcambs wrote:Chr15py's Omori (same gauge) reads exactly the same. He was worried about it too.

I waited ages to get one, tried direct but they never reply my emails.

You got one off ebay i think? it was practically brand new?
D

Post by D »

Hi guys.
I want to buy some omori gauges. Where can I get them? The price is very important for me. Are there any cheap way to buy them?

Return to “Mechanical”