[Mk2] [Turbo] got a water leak

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SpArKyMR2-T

[Mk2] [Turbo] got a water leak

Post by SpArKyMR2-T »

got water dripping from the front, right underneath the power stearing fluid pot. Can't see where exactly it's coming from but it's dripping quite slowly

Might seem obvious but is there anything else it could be other than power stearing fluid?

cheers
Last edited by SpArKyMR2-T on Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oBladeo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] got a water leak

Post by oBladeo »

If it's dripping off the plastic tray? just hope it ain't the coolant pipes
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Why?
He's stated it's from the front, so isn't going to be the pipes that run a long the top of the fuel tank #-o

Anyway fella.

Is it definitely water/coolant? As there is a drain near the front that is meant to leak from time to time.

And it's not power steering fluid? (it smells)

Have you checked the coolant? How bad does the leak look? If it might be power steering fluid, does it come out when you turn the wheel?

I'm free a bit on saturday if you wanted me to come have an eye over for you :thumleft:
SpArKyMR2-T

Post by SpArKyMR2-T »

think it's that drain as it was yesterday, and about 2 hours after it absolutely chucked it down. Also it's not doing it today!

coolant is full :D

however do seem to have a small oil leak at the back u could have a look at if u like....... :(
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

Mine did something similar once - turned out when I'd accidentally overfilled the washer bottle a pool of washer fluid collected under the spare wheel. There's a rubber bung in there so it was leaking out very slowly into the undertray. Big relief when I realised what was up.
lower

Post by lower »

Skywalker wrote:

Why?
He's stated it's from the front, so isn't going to be the pipes that run a long the top of the fuel tank #-o

Depending on where the break is in the coolant pipes and how flat the road is where the car is parked, you can get coolant running along the top of the undertrays and then dripping off in all kinds of funny places.

I first noticed my coolant pipes had cracked and were starting to leak from drips coming from the front of the car roughly under the heater. The pipes had cracked right at the back, just infront of the engine.

Just monitor you coolant levels. Once my pipes had cracked it took about 4 months before the leak became a problem. The crack in the pipe was only a hairline.

Return to “Mechanical”