[Mk2] [NA] cam belt bits, rusted strut and oil change advice -help for newbie please !

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

toffyapple

[Mk2] [NA] cam belt bits, rusted strut and oil change advice -help for newbie please !

Post by toffyapple »

hi - i'm a newbie, sort of. used to have a rev 2 tubby but had to sell it 4 years ago, and have just yesterday bought a rev 4 n/a, which looks great, short of a few things...

- no idea when cambelt was actually replaced last (recorded at 67,000 miles, maybe another at 120000 ish, but no record and now has 131000 on the clock so.... do i need to replace /buy just the belt, or a whole bunch of other bits as well(bushes etc) ? -toyota or just a motor factors ?

- also just noticed a nicely almost rusted through 'strut' (i think it might be a Rear Suspension Brace - but cant find a stockist ) - it goes from near the right rear wheel forward at about 45 degrees to under a plastic floor pan type cover - it is well rusted and so need to get this replaced asap - but need to confirm it is a suspension brace first - does my description sound right? - dont know exactly what it does or how urgent it needs to be done..

finally, any opinion on oil and filters - halfords ok?-i would go for 5w /40 fully synthetic i think..

thanks in advance for any help!

toffy
Race Idiot

Re: [Mk2] [NA] cam belt bits, rusted strut and oil change advice -help for newbi

Post by Race Idiot »

toffyapple wrote:
- also just noticed a nicely almost rusted through 'strut' (i think it might be a Rear Suspension Brace - but cant find a stockist ) - it goes from near the right rear wheel forward at about 45 degrees to under a plastic floor pan type cover - it is well rusted and so need to get this replaced asap - but need to confirm it is a suspension brace first - does my description sound right? - dont know exactly what it does or how urgent it needs to be done..

Hey I think I have this as well, is it a bar type thing thats held down by two bolts? Like you said one bolt is kinda under the undertray, but the bolt part nearer the wheelwell was so badly rusted I put my finger through it by accident. Strangely enough the one on the other side is in way better condition.

I should have taken a pic of it when I was doing the rear brakes, but I forgot. If anyone knows what the part number or whatever for it i'll probably see if toyota can sell me a new one I guess.
toffyapple

Re: [Mk2] [NA] cam belt bits, rusted strut and oil change advice -help for newbie please !

Post by toffyapple »

spoke to mr T about this and he's gonna have to fax me a diagram of the rear end as he described about 3 bits and i wnat to make sure i order the right one!

anyone else know?
Race Idiot

Re: [Mk2] [NA] cam belt bits, rusted strut and oil change advice -help for newbie please !

Post by Race Idiot »

I was searching through the forums and I found this link, well at least this looks like whats rusted through on my car.

http://www.flashmetal.com/index.asp?fun ... T&catid=51
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

You may need a new tensioner for the cam belt too if it's worn.

www.3sservicecentre.co.uk Not too far from you and you'll get a good job from them.
toffyapple

Post by toffyapple »

jmachling wrote:You may need a new tensioner for the cam belt too if it's worn.

www.3sservicecentre.co.uk Not too far from you and you'll get a good job from them.

thanks - i'm trying to book it in with them to do it - have you used them for anything else ?
BLZ-8027

rear brace

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Those braces you mention are the ones from flash metal
i replaced all four of mine (two shorter ones at the front )
,after the MOT man commented that they were not a failure but needed doing
you can see the front ones above the anti roll bar links

Return to “Mechanical”