Shock replacement

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tiger Tim

Shock replacement

Post by Tiger Tim »

I’m replacing the shocks on the front of my mk1a at the weekend & have 2 questions.

The large nut that currently holds the shock into the strut (the one visible thru’ the spring) is not screwed fully down but has 3 or 4 threads visible. Is that correct?. Should I try & screw the new one fully down.

Reading the instructions on how to do it on the web, I notice that antifreeze(coolant) is poured in first. Do others do this?.

Thanks,

Tim
un1eash

Re: Shock replacement

Post by un1eash »

The top nut on mine had 2-3 threads showing, had the same amount showing after i fitted konis. I also put a spot of weld on mine so theres no chance of them working loose. A pipe wrench and 4 foot pole makes quick work of getting those nuts off.

What inserts are you fitting? I didnt realise that with the originals the case makes up the shock housing. You put coolant in to protect against corrosion and to aid in the heat transfer. If you put to much in it'll just come out the top. Also will come out if you lie them down so keep them upright.
AndyBrad

Post by AndyBrad »

The 2 or 3 exposed threads sounds right, it just ensures the cap is clamping down on the strut and not the casing
Tiger Tim

Post by Tiger Tim »

Thanks, lads
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

i used antifreeze as well last time. a lot of people use oil. dont think it really matters as long as they is something in there.
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

it doesnt matter whether its antifreeze or oil or any fluid which wont freeze in british climates. however, if the fluid ever leaks out of the casing you might see it dripping or making a mess, and if it is oil then you wont know whether it is the oil in the strut case or oil from the damper. using colourful antifreeze (its usually blue or green or red, etc) means you can differentiate between the 2. and obviously it wont freeze (neither will oil) which would destroy the damper if it did

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”