WINDSCREEN!!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ChavMR2

WINDSCREEN!!

Post by ChavMR2 »

My bloody Windscreen has just been smashed!! Neighbors heard a bang and saw a white car drive off. I was in the shower.

MOT was due in morning, but cant take it now obviously!

Tax, MOT, Clutch, head Gasket and now a Windscreen!

Where the HELL can I get a windscreen from! I assume my car is out of commision now right? My Insurance is onl TPFT, so no chance on that.

I WANT TO CRY!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/ ... ure318.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/ ... ure317.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/ ... ure316.jpg
monkeymax

Re: WINDSCREEN!!

Post by monkeymax »

:shock: Geez! Really sorry to hear that Richard!

Windscreens are one of those parts that aren't cheap I'm afraid. Someone who's had it done will be able to give you a better indication of price than I could... Don't think it's the sort of thing that can be reused either. Plus, in order to avoid rust appearing above the windscreen (which can be a problem area on these cars and not easy to fix at all) you really do need to ensure the fitting is well done... Really sorry to hear that! :cry:

No way that'll get through an MOT at all, so best to cancel it first thing in the morning...
HT

Post by HT »

millentubby

Post by millentubby »

wtf?!

try phoning your insurance company and seeing if you can add on windscreen cover?

I'm TPFT with Bell and have added DOC (drive other cars) and windscreen cover to mine. £70 excess and a couple of quid a month is so much better than a £2-300 bill from autoglass!
racing23mr2

Post by racing23mr2 »

had to have a couple in our race cars,local company came and did them in our drive,cost of £110,Autoglass were dearest,suggest you have a ring round
good luck. #-o
----------------------------------
www.sarahwherryracing.com
mart1975

Post by mart1975 »

sorry to hear that, this country is full of scummy people, if i didnt live where i did id have a video camera in my window so i could find these people.
i got a windscreen from cov which as far as i can remember cost less than £80, i had to fit it myself though.
MartG

Post by MartG »

Have you reported it to the Police ? May not help you directly but if the scumbags make a habit of smashing screens then they may get caught
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

OMG - really sorry to hear that.
IIRC my new windscreen was around £120 when it went into the bodyshop, so shop around. fingers crossed you can get it sorted :pray:
ChavMR2

Post by ChavMR2 »

I will try the Insurance, but Im not holding my breath on anything.
I reported it to the Police, and they are going to call me with an incident number.
I managed to be able to get a place in a Garage to slap it last nite, but it can only stay there 2 weeks at most. Its the only house with a Garage, and they normally use it, but they have lent their car out and are using a Motorhome which wont fit, but they will want the garage back when they get their car back obviously.
I am almost pleasantly surprised at the cost of a windscreen. I was sure I had read somewhere on here that they had to come from Japan and were £700 plus. £100 or £700 though, I do not have it, so I dont know what I am going to do.
Im so bloody angry. Im sure its all down to the people who caused me and my friend grief when I split with my girlfriend in January. My friend has a Focus which I drive quite often, and that had its windscreen out through 3 weeks ago. Im sure its connected, but have no proof, so there is nothing I can do about it.
I will try Sniffy Dog for a windscreen, then Autoglass, the who knows! There is a link above that I have not yet looked at, so I will do that now.
Can you remember where yours came from Mart?

As I have reported it to the Police already, I would not be able to add windscreen cover (thats if I can) to the car, then claim, because its already happened, but it is something to look into n the future. My policy does give me cover to drive other cars though (I am a named driver on my friends insurance).
Any further suggestions on where to get a window from would be appreciated.

:twisted:

Edited to add I have just checked out the link above, and if my eyes are not lying to me, including VAT, a replacement in blue is under £80! £76 something!
Does anyone have £80 worth of jobs they need doing lol?
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Its well worth contacting anyone in your local area who is breaking a mk1, you could take the windscreen out of that (probably need a professional to do it) and install it on your Mk1 (again using a professional). I had trouble with my Fiat windsceen, I found a mate who works for RAC auto windscreens and he fitted it as a cash job favour (£20). The £700 + windscreen was probably for a supercharger windsceen (different tint) which are not available in the UK. I dont have any breakers unfortunately, I've sent two to the scrap yard with the screens in place! The only other trouble is the windscreen bonding, you can usually get away with using your original bonding... if you cant then it gets very expensive.
mart1975

Post by mart1975 »

sc screens are £150ish from the same place, yes i know where it is, its not far from the mighty sky blues ricoh arena 8-[ bonding is called tiger seal, polyurathene sealant at £6 for a tube. 1 is probably enough.
millentubby

Post by millentubby »

Charged wrote:Its well worth contacting anyone in your local area who is breaking a mk1, you could take the windscreen out of that (probably need a professional to do it) and install it on your Mk1 (again using a professional).

Absolutely no chance fella - the bonded mk1 windscreens are almost impossible to remove without them breaking.

Watch this clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX1jZNWZ ... ed&search=
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

ChavMR2 wrote:Edited to add I have just checked out the link above, and if my eyes are not lying to me, including VAT, a replacement in blue is under £80! £76 something!

Thats a good price - i hope you can get the cash together :pray:
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

millentubby wrote:
Charged wrote:Its well worth contacting anyone in your local area who is breaking a mk1, you could take the windscreen out of that (probably need a professional to do it) and install it on your Mk1 (again using a professional).

Absolutely no chance fella - the bonded mk1 windscreens are almost impossible to remove without them breaking.

Watch this clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX1jZNWZ ... ed&search=

errr, well I've watched RAC auto windscreens replace my 1st mk1's windscreen using the original seal. He cut it out, put the new one in, glued it up, jobs a good'un
millentubby

Post by millentubby »

did the glass fracture though?
ChavMR2

Post by ChavMR2 »

mr2mk1chick wrote:
ChavMR2 wrote:Edited to add I have just checked out the link above, and if my eyes are not lying to me, including VAT, a replacement in blue is under £80! £76 something!

Thats a good price - i hope you can get the cash together :pray:

That makes two of us then.

Is it a job I could do myself if I get some Tigerseal? I know it would have to be amazingly clean and dry etc. The next cheapest, fitted is £141 inclusive. Doing it myself is more than llikely the difference between a repair or stripping/scrapping the car.
mart1975

Post by mart1975 »

ive done one before and can give you a hand.
get a windscreen removing tool though as it was a right job getting the old screen out (with a hammer lol)
its a type of cutting wire (cheap)
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

I removed my windscreen some months ago (car off road, needed to fix rust above and below screen, old screen was rubbish/worn etc), and it was a right pain (didn't have a cutter) so used an assortment of tools.

The heatedwindscreens.co.uk link is one I've previously posted on here myself, do factor in the £40 delivery on top of that, so if you can get some local fitter to come and fit it for ~£140 or less then it's prob a better (easier) deal.

I will prob be fitting mine myself though, all old seal/bond is gone. Apparently toyota sell a £20 kit with a gasket/surround that holds the new bonding in place (or something like that) but no-one seems to bother using it (the you tube clip for example).

Hey Mart, i'm from Cov (and then Nuneaton) Originally... I will be up there in september and could pop into the place that sells the windscreen near the arena if you could give the name of the place...? :) Thanks. Would be better than ordering.

Did you use primer btw on the screen and metal before bonding? and did you re-use the top trim that presses into the bond or get a new one?

thanks (again) in advance.
mart1975

Post by mart1975 »

i resprayed the car so thought itd be a good idea to rust proof that part,
i managed to reuse the top trim but you have to be carefull not to bend it when removing.
cant remember the name of the shop but its over the road from body fx gym, pm me if you want directions.
where in cov you from?
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

Yeah, mines all rust proofed around there now (top and bottom with eastwoods rust encapsulator before top coat).

I don't live in Coventry now but originally lived in Longford and HolbrookS areas when I was a kid, in fact one of my houses was just down the road from where the arena is now (obviously a nice gas tower when I was a boy). ;)

Ok I should be able to find it if it's opposite that place.

thanks

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”