IMOC trackday

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TheRoadWarrior

Re: IMOC trackday

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

lower wrote:and its unlikely that i'll have drilled discs on my car again unless i can find some proper fully floating discs and aluminium top hats.

System-G wrote:
lower wrote:Drilled discs are just a consumable, much like brake pads.

I see any disc as a consumable along with pads, but you'll never find a drilled disc on my car unless it came out the factory with them fitted.

Not knowing the benefits of the above can you clarify what a fully floating disc does for you? Does it somehow run cooler?
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

I think the aluminum top hats stop the government from reading your brainwaves :?
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
MartG

Post by MartG »

Speedy wrote:I think the aluminum top hats stop the government from reading your brainwaves :?

No - their mind control rays can still enter via your nostrils :wink:
Blokey

Post by Blokey »

I'm fairly happy with the cheap as chips Brakes Intl disks, XP8 pads, braided lines and frequently flushed DOT5.1 on my SC. They seemed to cope at Angers really well.

It is quite a flowing circuit though and from what you've said perhaps Rockingham would be a place where I'd feel them start to go.

I tend to think tyres have far more effect on braking than they're given credit for and perhaps they're overlooked a little.

Naff tyres just slide whereas sticky ones can put lots more loading through the brakes....IMHO.

I have a finger up each nostril - am I safe?

B.
MartG

Post by MartG »

Blokey wrote:
I have a finger up each nostril - am I safe?

B.

Yes, but you sound like a Dalek [-X
System-G

Post by System-G »

Blokey wrote:I'm fairly happy with the cheap as chips Brakes Intl disks, XP8 pads, braided lines and frequently flushed DOT5.1 on my SC. They seemed to cope at Angers really well.

I tend to think tyres have far more effect on braking than they're given credit for and perhaps they're overlooked a little.

And boy, does your SC stop :shock: 8)

I couldn't beleive the difference as a passenger in your car compared to passengering in our SC. Although once we had the Redstuff pads on the SC it was much, much better than using the Black Diamonds. It also has braided hoses, cheapo Brakes Intl. discs all round and runs 1.5 fluid.

We'll see how the N/Ail gets on this afternoon at Donny with Yellow Stuff pads, braided hoses, 1.5, grooved discs up front and cheapo B.I discs on the rear. It also has ducting to aid cooling to the inside of the discs/callipers... Will not be happy if we start experiencing brake fade again in this car.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
lower

Post by lower »

A fully floating disc is basically a brake disc secured to the hub via an aluminium bell housing as per http://www.dba.com.au/2006/products_5000.asp

I use ferodo ds2500 pads which are well up to coping with the heat of track work and just don't fade. I've actually managed to get my discs red hot using these pads and still not noticed any fade. But the discs can't cope. They either overheat and warp or crack as per my previous photo. Brake cooling works to some degree, but the s2000 is just underbraked for the track. You can fit better pads that reduce fade and you get more laps before fade but if you fit pads that can cope with the heat then the discs become the limiting factor.

The reason they overheat and warp is that the brake disc casting is asymetric, so when it gets hot and expands, it doesn't expand equally all over sothe disc itself bows and becomes a bell shape which reduces the contact area etc and ends up knackering the disc.

With the fully floating disc, the disc is secured by the ali bell housing so can expand and contract as required without changing shape. You can fit a bigger disc with curved cooling ducts (which induce a turbine effect which improves the airflow through the disc as well as increasing internal surface area) so the overall capacity of your brake discs to absorb and dissipate heat without warping goes up.

Brakes international discs last about 3 quarters of a trackday for me before they warp which is about the same as Honda OEM discs.

The spoon ones lasted about 3 trackdays before cracking.

TheRoadWarrior wrote:
lower wrote:and its unlikely that i'll have drilled discs on my car again unless i can find some proper fully floating discs and aluminium top hats.

System-G wrote:

I see any disc as a consumable along with pads, but you'll never find a drilled disc on my car unless it came out the factory with them fitted.

Not knowing the benefits of the above can you clarify what a fully floating disc does for you? Does it somehow run cooler?
Last edited by lower on Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

What tyres were you running at Rockingham when you cracked the disc?

(Top post btw :thumleft: )
lower

Post by lower »

215/45 r17 fronts and 245/40 r17 rears Bridgestone re050 MZ s2000 specific bridgestones.

Good track and road tyre compromise, wet and dry.
Blokey

Post by Blokey »

System-G wrote:

And boy, does your SC stop :shock: 8)

...TAFN :evil: ](*,)

Problem now is it doesn't want to start. I've abandoned tonights running club meeting in favour of beating seven bells out of the SC to find why it's crabbing and then having a bath, a bottle of red wine and an early night - I'm tired after yesterday (...and the night before....and call duing the weekend...) so it's an early night for me.

lower - Your S2000 looked really settled on the track... It was you I was chatting to while our wheels were being swapped...? Three track days for a set of rotors is scary! ....it's a lovely car though and seemed to be really well glued to the track.

Edit: Just gathered the Chap I mention above with the S2000 yesterday is Peter. All the same - three trackdays for a set of rotors is still scary.

B.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Is that a bearding party I hear being called.. :tongue:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”