IMOC trackday

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Squizz

Re: IMOC trackday

Post by Squizz »

Ooooh, sounds good!

I've driven the Rockingham infield in a Mini Cooper S and a BMW M3 - It's a fantastic circuit. 8)

It'd be great if Karen and I could attend in her MR2C car so try not to let it fall on September 29th/30th coz we'll be at Snetterton. :roll:

Cheers,
Rich.
ziggy

Post by ziggy »

begining to sound like a good/fun weekend - you can put my name down already!
i hope you get the response from members to make it happen.

thanks for the work you have put in so far Anna

cant wait Terry
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Hi all,

Just to bring this back up to date ..

It looks like the prices we were given for an IMOC trackday at Rockingham earlier in the year when initially planning this event have since gone up considerably.

They were originally at the 'top end' of what we'd consider but with this further rise we are concerned that the cost would limit the appeal to the club members :(

What I can say is that there will be a IMOC trackday later in the year, but probably will be October/November at a to be agreed location as trackdays get a lot cheaper at that time of year.

We're considering all options again - an Airfield, or novice friendly circuit as well as perhaps some days at more challenging circuits for those that have done a few trackays.

As for what Anna has been discussing here - I believe she is planning to take a trackday event forwards (potentially Rockingham in September) as a business and I'm sure we'll hear more about this shortly.

Ben.
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

BenF wrote:an Airfield, or novice friendly circuit

Im still interested if the location is as above :) and as long as it isn't October 14th
Engine rebuilt by: Steve Horrocks & Andy Jones
Engine mapped by: Ryan@2bartuning (330 bhp & 325 lbft @ 1.4 bar)
Current Status: F****D :(
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

OK, we're currently reviewing the whole thing at the moment. Expect some polls to go up to allow us to capture interest in both type of trackday (novice / intermediate / experienced) and the price points associated.
lower

Post by lower »

Rockingham is a great track. I arranged a s2000 club day there a few months back and had a brilliant day. The wet grip facility was newly opened that day too and way great fun. I spent an hours or so spinning around on it trying to drift around the horseshoe and made myself feel sick :D

Only problem with rockingham is that it is seriously hard on the brakes.

we had 3 s2000's with cracked brake discs. One with oem discs, one with ebc dimpled and grooved and mine with spoon drilled discs.

we were all running uprated pads, so the discs were obviously a weak spot, but never the less, the track is hard on brakes.

We'll be going back as a club, but next time i want to get some brake cooling ducts fitted or some proper fully floating discs.

Cracking track otherwise. Seems just made for sliding the back end around on. Lovely grippy but progressive surface that didn't wear the tyres too much either.

The wall is a bit scary, but if it worries you, don't push 100% in that turn on each lap.
System-G

Post by System-G »

I don't rate drilled discs much at all. Unless they are to the likes of Brembo etc, chances most will experience some form of warpage or cracking sooner than later.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
lower

Post by lower »

You certainly know that with drilled discs you run the risk of them cracking. But spoon is a quality brand and these were decent discs with curved (as opposed to the normal straight) cooling vanes and hence the additional internal surface area and airflow through the disc. I wouldn't have expected them to crack like that!
anna

Post by anna »

blimey... you must be as bad on the brakes as Tom! (warper of Lotus elise unwarpable discs)
:thumleft:

We are not worthy! ;)
GO60 - Gaydon to Singapore Overland www.go60sharing.co.uk
Off soon! Follow my personal blog at http://go60.blogspot.com
lower

Post by lower »

i did manage to get my brake discs red hot at donington last year :D

Ferodo DS2500 pads just didn't fade, so i did a few more laps that i should have done.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Were your (wheel) nuts done up to the specified torque, or were they a bit tight or a bit loose?
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
tomwoodis

What sort of prices

Post by tomwoodis »

It looks like the prices we were given for an IMOC trackday at Rockingham earlier in the year when initially planning this event have since gone up considerably.

How much are they asking now if you dont mind me asking?
lower

Post by lower »

Speedy wrote:Were your (wheel) nuts done up to the specified torque, or were they a bit tight or a bit loose?

nuts were torqued up correctly. I know because i did them :)
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

lower wrote:
Cracking track otherwise.

#-o
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

I would highly recommend anyone running drilled and grooved discs on trackdays crack detect the discs before and after each trackday.

These discs weren't very old and I was not impressed on what I found....

lower

Post by lower »

all drilled discs seem to do that at some point. But even with the start of cracks like that, i've never seen a disc go like mine did.

Drilled discs are just a consumable, much like brake pads.
MartG

Post by MartG »

IIRC Porsche actually cast the holes in their disks, rather than drilling them afterward, to avoid them cracking.
System-G

Post by System-G »

lower wrote:Drilled discs are just a consumable, much like brake pads.

I see any disc as a consumable along with pads, but you'll never find a drilled disc on my car unless it came out the factory with them fitted.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
lower

Post by lower »

urban myth. You can't cast holes in brake discs just because of the nature of the moulds.

What's more likely is that porsche position the holes much more carefully and allow for holes in their casting design. Ie thicker webs where the holes are etc.

MartG wrote:IIRC Porsche actually cast the holes in their disks, rather than drilling them afterward, to avoid them cracking.
lower

Post by lower »

and its unlikely that i'll have drilled discs on my car again unless i can find some proper fully floating discs and aluminium top hats.

System-G wrote:
lower wrote:Drilled discs are just a consumable, much like brake pads.

I see any disc as a consumable along with pads, but you'll never find a drilled disc on my car unless it came out the factory with them fitted.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”