MK1A Doorcard renewal

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tiger Tim

MK1A Doorcard renewal

Post by Tiger Tim »

:?: I need to replace the leatherette at the top of the doorcard on my MK1A as it is split just where you rest your elbow. I removed the doorcard last night to have a look. The top of the door is easy to do as the leatherette can be wrapped over the top but lower down where the cloth type material joins the leatherette there is a plastic beading running the length of the doorcard. I can’t find any obvious way of removing this. Has anyone done it before. The only way I can see of doing this is to leave about an inch of the old leatherette there, run the new cover up to the beading & glue the new cover over it. Not sure how successful this would be though. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tim
Charged
IMOC Committee

Re: MK1A Doorcard renewal

Post by Charged »

My suggestion would be to find someone with a spare set of 1a doorcards... they shouldn't be too hard to come by in good condition...
Try the items wanted section...
Tiger Tim

Post by Tiger Tim »

I'm in Ireland so getting cards from a MK1A would be near impossible as not many were sold here. Postage from the UK wouldn't be worth it. I have a spare set from a MK1B which I can use if I can't repair it.

Thanks,

Tim
firstmk1

Post by firstmk1 »

Are they interchangable?
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Buy more doorcards. I had to replace mine as they were broken at the bottom, as the are only made from chipboard.

I have a mk1b door, and the doorcard from the mk1a fits, but there is a hole that doesnt line up. Not sure if the b fits on the a.
Tiger Tim

Post by Tiger Tim »

Think the B fits the A but different look.
anna

Post by anna »

Tiger Tim wrote::?: I need to replace the leatherette at the top of the doorcard on my MK1A as it is split just where you rest your elbow. I removed the doorcard last night to have a look. The top of the door is easy to do as the leatherette can be wrapped over the top but lower down where the cloth type material joins the leatherette there is a plastic beading running the length of the doorcard. I can’t find any obvious way of removing this. Has anyone done it before. The only way I can see of doing this is to leave about an inch of the old leatherette there, run the new cover up to the beading & glue the new cover over it. Not sure how successful this would be though. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tim

I don't know if she does them - but you might try Rhon (see Rhonmr2)
GO60 - Gaydon to Singapore Overland www.go60sharing.co.uk
Off soon! Follow my personal blog at http://go60.blogspot.com

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”