Some advice needed

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tiger Tim

Some advice needed

Post by Tiger Tim »

I recently bought an MR2 mk1a which is in quite good condition but needs a little work & a few bits & pieces. I have come across(but not seen) a spares car for sale, which the guy will deliver, but it’s a later MK1b. I have enough junk around the place but am wondering if it’s worth buying. Just need some advice. I need a new drivers door card but reading the sticky it seems like the door card on the mk1b is different to the MK1a.
Struts are different as are the droplinks?. I need the left hand side arch but its rotten (as are all the arches on the donor car). The ECU is different as well – is that correct.
Need the elbow rest but that is different.
I think by typing this I have convinced myself that it’s not worth buying. I’m probably better off sourcing the items I need on E-bay as by the time I get it delivered it won’t be that cheap. What do you think? Also need a front bumper bar. Not sure what condition it is on the donor car but anyone know if they are the same?

Thanks,

Tim
russthedude

Re: Some advice needed

Post by russthedude »

I think you'd be better off getting a MK1b, even if it means waiting a few weeks for one to come up near you... then you know that everything will fit, and be a couple of years newer too :)
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Tiger Tim wrote:I recently bought an MR2 mk1a which is in quite good condition but needs a little work & a few bits & pieces. I have come across(but not seen) a spares car for sale, which the guy will deliver, but it’s a later MK1b. I have enough junk around the place but am wondering if it’s worth buying. Just need some advice. I need a new drivers door card but reading the sticky it seems like the door card on the mk1b is different to the MK1a.
Struts are different as are the droplinks?. I need the left hand side arch but its rotten (as are all the arches on the donor car). The ECU is different as well – is that correct.
Need the elbow rest but that is different.
I think by typing this I have convinced myself that it’s not worth buying. I’m probably better off sourcing the items I need on E-bay as by the time I get it delivered it won’t be that cheap. What do you think? Also need a front bumper bar. Not sure what condition it is on the donor car but anyone know if they are the same?

Thanks,

Tim

The bumper bar is different, but fits.
Struts are different
ECU will be differnt
Door cards are different

It depends what you need or think you will need for the future and how origonal you want to keep the car.

Ultimatly up to you, but if you just need the parts above, then the 1b isnt the car you need for spares
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

cartledge_uk wrote:Door cards are different

But will still fit IIRC.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

for a comprehensive list of the differences between the mk1a / mk1b see:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45035
Karl_T

Post by Karl_T »

russthedude wrote:I think you'd be better off getting a MK1b, even if it means waiting a few weeks for one to come up near you... then you know that everything will fit, and be a couple of years newer too :)

Think you mean Mk1 'a' there, not b. Tim's got an a and it would seem all the bits he needs/wants interior trim, ecu, struts, front bumper etc are the bits that differ.

The only positives to getting a 'b' as a donor would be to swap over front brakes and wheels, and maybe gearbox.

Karl
Red ones go faster......
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Ive just broken a MK1a, ive got centre console left, ecu, no bumper, no suspension & no wings left, but ive got a lot of other stuff for the 'A' if you decide to go that route, im probably a bit bias here but i prefer the MK1b, it just looks & feels more modern than the 'A' the Mk1a interior is what dates it more in my opinion.... ok guys im lining up for the firing squad :mrgreen: :mrgreen: , Jinxy
Tiger Tim

Post by Tiger Tim »

Thanks for all the replies. I've just called the guy & told him I won't be buying the spares car.

Tony - will drop you an e-mail re spares later.

Thanks,

Tim
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:im probably a bit bias here but i prefer the MK1b, it just looks & feels more modern than the 'A' the Mk1a interior is what dates it more in my opinion....

That's not what you said to me last weekend! Yeah those mk1a seats will look really good in your car! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Personally, I think if you've got the black leather interior then that looks really nice and makes the car look a bit more "expensive" if you know what I mean. But I always found the leather seats to be super-slidy when driving and super-scorching in the summer. The two-tone mk1a seats look great in my opinion, much more sporty & suit the nature of the car better than the dull single colour mk1b seats. They also seem lighter, firmer and have better side bolsters than the mk1b seats (or maybe my mk1b seats were really quite knackered). Horses for courses...

Andrew

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”