[All] [Generic] Which ECU would you choose from the list below and why?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rogue

Re: [All] [Generic] Which ECU would you choose from the list below and why?

Post by Rogue »

Kenny-Boost wrote:Fastest 3S car i've ever been in runs a DTA ECU lol

Fastest 3S based car I've ever been in runs a Link G1 ECU.

Patrick
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

All this is very interesting reading.... :D

Looking at the basic concept of engine management, all it has to do is provide enough fuel and a spark at the right moment...thats it!

At, say, 10000rpm, thats a spark every 3ms...and MS2 can easily provide this accurately.

As for the "mere" 12 x 12 tables....well.....these are just reference points which MS (and the more expensive ECU's) use to work out the required values, based on all the other variables.

Sure, on paper some of the figures seem to imply that MS is inferior to the big brands.....but the proof of the cake, etc... :wink:

MS2 is just gonna grow and grow: especially with the latest MS2extra code release....

I've just had a thought.....I may just be selling my UK-built MS2's too cheaply....so I'll sell them for £500 from now on.. :D

Put it this way: if your company sells a product for,say, £1000, and suddenly someone else comes along and starts selling something just as good for £200.......well...lets face it: you're gonna be a BIT WORRIED!? :twisted:
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

i believe MS2 like all things open source will grow into something rather good however its still in need of development.

i'm not of the opinion that the job of an ECU is an easy one i have to say! it needs to make calculations very very quickly.

As for the 12X12 map - well i hope someone recodes it to something a little better i mean i wouldn't even want the E-manages 15X15 map to be honest there is just that great a resolution. i know my FC runs only a 20X20 map but when mapping it believe me thats enough lol!

i don't think the megasquirt is worth a lot of money at this time, i think it should be kept cheap it allows for development of it, if someone raced me and beat me - and it turned out they used MS2 i wouldn't mind any more or less than if they had any other ECU lol, i'd just have more questions about how they like it :)
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

Kenny-Boost wrote:
i don't think the megasquirt is worth a lot of money at this time, i think it should be kept cheap it allows for development of it, if someone raced me and beat me - and it turned out they used MS2 i wouldn't mind any more or less than if they had any other ECU lol, i'd just have more questions about how they like it :)

I reckon the point is being missed a bit.

If the above happened, all that proves is that his ECU/ engine is set-up better.
Its down to the tuner: if you want your car set up optimally, it is gonna take time.
Development of the MS itself is not the issue here: it is more than capable of doing the job as it is.
All that will happen is that it will have a few bells and whistles added to the standard PCB (dual-trigger input circuit, knock sensor, etc..).
Virtually every function that you need on any engine has been done by someone, somewhere in the world, already: just because its not got a fancy name and a fancy box doesn't automatically mean its not worth the money.
All it shows is that a) its just too good value for money ATM, or b) all the other ECU's are simply overpriced!

Mind you, this has just come out: :roll:
Not long before everyone starts jumping on the bandwagon (better get mine on the market quick...! :D )

http://diyautotune.com/products/eMS-Pro ... roinfo.pdf
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

i haven't missed the point - its not always going to be to do with his ECU it could be any number of things, what i was meaning is i've not had any dealings with MS on turbo cars i'd be curious about finding out more if i found one installed and working in a turbo car thats all!

personally i don't think the Apex'i FC is overpriced you can pick them up for less than 500 quid, they have a 20X20 map, tons of options TPS V's Inj. Duty, Lean Cruise, Boost Control, Individual injector control, Duty V's air temp, Duty V's waster temp and hundreds more i'm still experimenting with.

I'm not dissing the MS at all, however your too quick to say that other ECU's are too expensive.

i think its great that there is cheap management out there i'd like to install and setup MS on a 3S engine, if someone i know wanted a cheap tune up i'd consider it, however i don't believe that 12 X 12 is as good as 20 X 20.
Muffleman

Post by Muffleman »

Well if anyone is interested, I am going to be installing an AEM into my Rev1. Don't mind documenting if wanted :) I will of course be binning the AFM and moving to speed density.

I managed to get the AEM plus IAT sensor and 3.5bar MAP sensor for just under £1000.

I could go the megasquirt or Emanage route, but I know I would want better at some point, and so I would end up paying twice for mapping.

AEM should arrive in a week or two, so hoping to make a start then.

Car Spec:

Rebuilt engine with forged pistons, steel rods etc
Stage 5 CT26 as spec'd by me and Dino when he worked at Owens. (57mm comp. wheel, 8degree turbine clip, 360 degree thrust bearing, full porting, steel shaft etc)
Berk IC
Aquamist WI
Walbro pump
Sard 800cc injectors
FPR
3" EB downpipe
Blitz Nur spec
AEM UEGO, IAT and MAP sensor
AEM Boost and AFR gauges

There's more I've missed, but you get the idea :)

I chose the AEM as I have one on my single turbo Supra, and quite frankly it rocks 8)
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

The AEM wont work with Sard injectors apparently.......tuning wizard says no :roll:
Muffleman

Post by Muffleman »

First hurdle to overcome then :wink: Although the AEM software does list SARD 800cc 3ohm injectors as an option in the AEMPro software :?
Chris

Post by Chris »

PM Jimbob, he had the same prob and ended up buying my old injectors. Siemens Deka's. These are deffo compatible.
Muffleman

Post by Muffleman »

Will do, cheers :)
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

i've got a set of 850's waiting to be fitted to my car (denso's) will they affect the idle or are they small enough that the car will behave?
EarL

Post by EarL »

Kenny-Boost wrote:i've got a set of 850's waiting to be fitted to my car (denso's) will they affect the idle or are they small enough that the car will behave?

No, they'll be fine. I have Delphi 870's on the Beast, and it idles at 1000 rpm now, no problem. :thumleft:

EarL
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

Cool, thats a relief, they probably will end up at about 0.5% for idle then? my 540's sit at about 0.9-1.1 depending on the cars mood lol
RANDOMr2

Post by RANDOMr2 »

good thread (were there handbags supplied on page 1? :lol: think i missed them)

from personal experience I MS'ed my mk2 uno turbo (and if anyones got anything bad to say about these cars and thinks theyre not real performance cars then think again or better still, race a tuned one), was a bit of mission but once i'd found out the haynes manual ecu wiring diagram was lying (microplex ecu and the afm were wrong way round and other sensors were back to front ](*,) ) it was all go! :mrgreen:

the 1372cc engine had a bigger turbo and hks external wastegate on custom stainless steel pipework. and it worked well once i'd replaced the dark blue cossie PnH injectors i was using for punto gtt ones. was mental, even if it was a bit laggy (i wouldnt have as big a turbo if i do it again)

i'd be interested to see a 3s-gte on MS. :thumleft:

for the price and for a HOOOOOOOOOJ learning curve you cant go wrong i reckon (as long as the car your doing is NOT your daily runner whilst your sorting the fitting & mapping etc out - after that period its fine)

cheers

j
Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done!
In the South West, then check out
South West Performance Car also.
Gary ST165

Post by Gary ST165 »

the latest megasquirt upgrade offers dual tables for fuel and ignition 16 x 16 plus anti lag strategy, launch control, boost control and datalogging, easy universal sensor calibration.... la la la la la etc

i'm looking forward to datajons next install / tune, and am very tempted to sell my old fashioned Power FC....
RANDOMr2

Post by RANDOMr2 »

holy xxxx!!! :shock: theyve got anti-lag and boost controlnow, i had one of the 1st ones i think. had the 12x12 map tables and that was it. my boost was controlled by the spring in the external wastegate.

ive got an uno turbo lump (inc loom, microplex ecu - controls ignition) in my garage and my (proper) mini is needing a new engine - its been on the cards for a while and ive been having trouble sourcing a decently priced afm for the uno lump so may just MS the engine i have :lol: ohhh ITS ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!!! \:D/ anti-lagged, 1bar on a 160bhp engine in a stripped out, track prepped mini shoudl be fun :twisted:
EarL

Post by EarL »

At the end of the day guys, if you're happy with the Megasquirt, PFC, Emerald, etc and it works for you, then thats all that matters. :thumleft:

I wouldn't change from my MoTeC, as I know it fairly well now, and I know the backup and service from MoTeC Europe is second to none.

However, my main reason for liking the MoTeC is...

...Dave's cheap. :wink:

EarL.

RANDOMr2

Post by RANDOMr2 »

who's dave and how cheap is he? :mrgreen:
EarL

Post by EarL »

RANDOMr2 wrote:who's dave and how cheap is he? :mrgreen:

Dave Rowe. :thumleft:

Cheap as in... that would be telling. Mates rates. :wink:

steve b

Post by steve b »

Ah this old thread, I never reported back after fitting & mapping of the LINK G3.

11.8psi boost (peak) & 249.8bhp/217lbs not bad for an engine that stock is 133bhp.

also this wasn't on the good stuff (V-Power or Tesco 99).

p.s. one of only 2 guys on the mx5 forums that went with megasquirt,... well he needs a new engine as he killed his setting it up.

Return to “Modifications”