[Mk2] [NA] 17" ALLOYS

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

steveaddy

[Mk2] [NA] 17" ALLOYS

Post by steveaddy »

hi all, ive swapped my standard 14" alloys on my 1990 g-limited for some used 17" alloys i got for a good price apart from all tyre makes ive never heard of,i had bridgestone and avon on my old ones.ive fitted the 17" and the handling is rubbish the front wheels seem to want to pull me in different directions when just doing average speeds, it feels like i need some weight in the front to hold them down on the road.it dosent feel good or give me any confidence in it at all.are all 17" alloys like this or do i need to do something?
thnaks steve :roll:
Andy-Runner

Re: [Mk2] [NA] 17" ALLOYS

Post by Andy-Runner »

Firstly, i reckon the handling won't be quite as "crisp" as with your standard wheels on - however obviously you'll have more physical grip which may lead to tram lining. I reckon your tyre sizes can affect this a fair bit - when i had 17's on my first turbo i ran with 215x40 fronts and 235x40 rears and this seemed to be ok (for me) however theres several tire combos which would help. (Tire make would also have an effect i would have thought - i ran with toyo proxes and they seemed to work alright for me!)

Hope it helps :pray:

Andy 8)
pintovit

Post by pintovit »

Do you know the rims width and offset?

This would help to figure out the problem I guess...
steveaddy

Post by steveaddy »

ill have a look at tyre widths and sizes thanks steve

Return to “Mechanical”