[Mk2] [ANY] Improving Handling on Rev3 without going overboard

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

paulmann

[Mk2] [ANY] Improving Handling on Rev3 without going overboard

Post by paulmann »

How can I improve the handling of my MR2 without compromising the ride quality.

I had adjustables on my previous car setup but it made it awful to drive on b roads and poor quality roads. I really dont like bumps and bangs, they spoil my mood when driving.

So basically how can I make the mr2 corner and handle better without losing my fillings or strugle over speedbumps outside my house?

I don't know anything about altering the handling of my MR2! total handling noob.
Last edited by paulmann on Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FizzyBlueMr2

Re: [Mk2] [ANY] Improving Handling on Rev3 without going overboard

Post by FizzyBlueMr2 »

Well, if you want to retain a lot of the ride quality of the original setup but want to get a slightly more racey feel, in my humble opinion you can't beat bilstein "yellow" uprated shocks, eibach springs and trd topmounts.

Fit those with a set of poly suspension bushes and it should tidy it all up nicely.

Keeping the original 15 wheels will help with ride quality, or 16's if you want a little better turn in etc at the expense of a little comfort you loose with a slightly lower profile tyre.

A friend of mine has 17 wheels, cusco coilovers etc etc etc - and it does corner well but the ride is very harsh. Great for track but I wouldn't want to live with it myself in a daily driver, hence why I went for the above setup which is fine for me - I even have the original 15" wheels on it.

A proper coilover setup does give you a lot of adjustability mind, and is great for track use.

Probably worth seeing if you can get a ride in cars with various degrees of suspension mods, and see what you feel happiest with....?
Rory

Post by Rory »

Ive got the Super street kit with topmounts on 17 rims and the ride is perfect. Firm but comfortable. Ive been in MR2s and other cars running 17s with just springs and the ride was awfull. Super streets are wicked!

Rory
My MR2 for sale! Check out the for sale section
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

while spring and damper choices play a big part in the ride, handlling and quality I think the secondary components also make a big difference. for example if your topmounts are worn out each bump is going to be accompanied with a clunk and the suspension strut moving about.

so in other words whatever you choose, make sure your topmounts, droplinks, wheel bearings, ball joints and bushes are in good shape. Also if the steering feels numb, loose or vibrates at speed and your wheels are correctly balanced your steering components could be worn- inner and outer track rods and possibly steering rack.

that's lot is over £1000 from a toyota dealer, so you may want to shop around!
paul port

Post by paul port »

I would not bother with poly-bushes...
a lot of hassle for next to no difference
been there..

Lowering the car will make it feel more 'pointy' mainly due to the camber change I think.

Overall, I think good choice of Tyres will make the most difference without compromise to ride

paul
paulmann

Post by paulmann »

paul port wrote:I would not bother with poly-bushes...
a lot of hassle for next to no difference
been there..

Lowering the car will make it feel more 'pointy' mainly due to the camber change I think.

Overall, I think good choice of Tyres will make the most difference without compromise to ride

paul

Well had some R888's on for the last month. Nice ride from them except for the stupid tramlining!
Antstarr

Post by Antstarr »

lowered springs 40mm and yellow bilsteins.
Watashi wa Ant desu, BAKA!!!
FizzyBlueMr2

Post by FizzyBlueMr2 »

Ahh - forgot about that lot. I also fitted new droplinks, lower ball joints and had new antiroll bar bushes at the same time.

I agree its amazing how much difference having a full wheel alignment gives too - I had my fronts checked recently and one side was way out (probably thanks to the numerous pot holes around here) and the steering is a lot better now.... :thumleft:

Decent tyres are a must on an mr2 as well (especially the rears).
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

paulmann wrote:How can I improve the handling of my MR2 without compromising the ride quality.

I had adjustables on my previous car setup but it made it awful to drive on b roads and poor quality roads. I really dont like bumps and bangs, they spoil my mood when driving.

So basically how can I make the mr2 corner and handle better without losing my fillings or strugle over speedbumps outside my house?

I don't know anything about altering the handling of my MR2! total handling noob.

Hi Paul. First off, yellow billies are no longer being made and apparently there aren't many in stock anywhere. 2nd hand will be your best bet.

My dilema is similar to yours in that my car was bought with very stiff Bilstein coilovers (that actually turn out to be completely knackered).

I'm on a budget, so under advice I have got new drop links all round(£60 from JPR Motors), Eibach springs (apparently give very good ride quality and control), 2nd hand black billies (which seem to be in very good condition - fingers crossed), and 2nd hand top mounts (may well replace with TRDs in the near future).

All the above for £460 + fitting. I had a ride in a 2 at Rogue that was fitted with Super Streets, and all I can say is that if I had the money I would get them. Even on the medium damper setting they weren't that hard a ride. On softest apparently they are superb.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Suprised no-one's mentioned uprated ARBs or upper strut bars yet. They alone make a hige difference for not much money and won't affect the comfort really at all. I'd do this as the first stage and see how it feels.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Trd engine and suspension bushers-makes the car feel brand new-but springy not hard-perfect. :)

Go Tein Superstreet-softer spring rate :thumleft:
zebidi

Post by zebidi »

Tein Type Flex Coileys
Front Tein tie rods
TRD bushes (every one)
TRD engine mount kit
TRD front and rear ARBs
Ebay special front strut brace :D

The ride is harsh but it really does depend on the road surface.

But when you are going for it on a smooth semi smooth surface it does perform.

The bushes made a lot of difference i though, every little bump is felt more severely because its matched up with the teins. I thought about getting some softer springs :S

The ARBS are amazing, theres literally no body roll and when the EDFC is set to even 10fr and 9rr its not like the car turns into a corner its like a plane "yawwing"

I think if you dont want to sacrifice ride comfort though super street is the way to go.
steve b

Post by steve b »

the cheap and simple answer is go and buy a set of cam adjustable camber bolts (I believe peter at sBits does them) with out these the MR2 doesn't have adjustable camber (hence paul mentioning the drop in height gives a more negative camber and improves things, only way to do it without the special bolts). Then take the car to WIM or a trusted alignment centre and get the alignment properly done. Then your ride, the height etc will stay the same but you'll have improved geometry.

Return to “Modifications”