Clutch Problem - Avoid Spec Clutches !!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Joey

Clutch Problem - Avoid Spec Clutches !!

Post by Joey »

Went to use my car the last night only to discover that it refused to go into gear, eventually i switched the car off, put it in gear and then started it up with my foot on the clutch and the car just started to move forward even with the clutch pressed. Switched the car off, swore a few times, then started it back up and everything was fine and working 100% no clutch slipping nothing.
Later on it started doing it again with the end result i ended up driving the whole way home in 4th gear :(, switching the car off at roundabouts, putting it in 2nd, then re-starting, and judging the revs to stick it in to 4th without the clutch. As i approached home i tried the clutch and it changed into 2nd, smooth as silk and then into reverse without a problem. :? I have noticed that the biting point has gone from an inch or so to practically the full travel of the pedal, the clutch, Spec Stage 2 hasn't even covered 20k miles so i won't be impressed if it's knackered. Anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem is ? Seems odd that it works fine sometimes, isn't slipping at all, then just refuses to engage any gear....
Last edited by Joey on Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bry

Re: Clutch Problem - Avoid Spec Clutches !!

Post by Bry »

Spec clutches are known to have problems,do a search on here and you'll find some unhappy customers,but yours maybe ok,check the fluid level and check the master and slave cylinders are ok,if they are ok,then it could be the springs failing in the clutch :(
Watch out OZ here I come !!
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Sounds like a Master Cylinder problem to me. Seals are probily going.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
OohMatron

Post by OohMatron »

I'd agree with Ant here, seals on your master cylinder.

Had it on mine and the symptoms were the same.
Stephen
'2 in Blue
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Hello mate,

Have a look here

http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/ ... clutch.htm

Its for rev 1 help but the principles are the same.

Cheers, Lewis.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

could also be the slave cylinder leaking....have a look at the clutch reservoir and see how much fluid is in there.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Cheers for all the replies that gives me somewhere to start looking :)
Joey

Post by Joey »

Well i've had the car looked at and the actual clutch action is doing everything it should which means the only thing else it can be is the clutch itself :( Are there different clutches per revision or is there just the one clutch regardless of revision ? Will this clutch fit my revision3 ? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Celica-GT4 ... 0092297779

P.S If anyone is thinking of buying a Spec clutch, don't, they're crap...hasn't even done 20k miles ffs..... :evil:
rossdymond3352

Post by rossdymond3352 »

hi mate i had probs like this on mine, even though the slave cylinder was moving just as i thought it would and should be, it still turned out to be my master cylinder :(

just a thought for ya

Ross
Joey

Post by Joey »

Well clutch is out, piece of metal from one of the spring mechanisms was rattling about inside (shiny bit)

sitting beside where it came from

the actual gap, a few of the others were showing signs of cracking

in short don't buy a Spec clutch......
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

You contacted Spec or the place you bought the clutch from about this at all?
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Thats shocking. There must be something wrong with their processes if there are so many similar issues.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Joey

Post by Joey »

BenF wrote:You contacted Spec or the place you bought the clutch from about this at all?

I've contacted Spec, their clutches carry a 120 warranty (must really be good if that's all they'll cover them for), they basically said tough but they'd sell me a reduced price replacement disc....needless to say i'll not be taking them up on their offer.....
Spacey

Post by Spacey »

I must be the only person happy with my Spec clutch, although mine is stage 3 and rattles/chatters a lot.

That does sound bad though mate.
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

Slam them as hard as you can on all the forums, showing your pictures and carefully destroying their reputation.

Meanwhile, go to xxxx and buy an RPS clutch off him relative to your BHP and TORQUE, then enjoy perfect clutch action for ever more - well 10's of thousands of miles!
Joey

Post by Joey »

luthor1 wrote:Slam them as hard as you can on all the forums, showing your pictures and carefully destroying their reputation.

Meanwhile, go to xxxx and buy an RPS clutch off him relative to your BHP and TORQUE, then enjoy perfect clutch action for ever more - well 10's of thousands of miles!

Time to dig out my mr2oc.com password :)
EarL

Post by EarL »

Spacey wrote:I must be the only person happy with my Spec clutch, although mine is stage 3 and rattles/chatters a lot.

That does sound bad though mate.

No mate. Well happy with mine too. Although mine is of the silent type. :wink:

EarL.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

i was going to fit a RPS to mine but got a SPEC through josh at chico, ment to be a new design, made specially for drag and street use so thought i'd give it ago before selling it on to customers as an option over RPS.

engagedment and normal drive is sweet, very quiet and like silk to drive. its been having a hard life recently since the TC has been fitted so i'll have to see. If it passes with flying colours then i'll stock them along side RPS, but touch wood no problems so far.

Tim
xxxx

Return to “Mechanical”