Tbar Seals

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: Tbar Seals

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Tony I'd take the end covers off before prising out the guides as it reduced the risk of cracking them with the screwdriver.
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Yep, good call Chris, ive never broke mine, but there is always a first time . Jinxy
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

Just fitted eccentric rod guides to mine to cure a leak that recently developed on the rear of the passenger side panel only to find that I had 3 standard and one eccentric already fitted :shock:

Unsurprisingly perhaps, the eccentric one was in the corner that recently developed the leak - upside down #-o

Anyway, got four now (right way around) so hoping for another 3 years of watertight motoring [-o<

The moral to this story is if you have a leak in one corner, look closely before jumping to conclusions :roll:
reanimation

Post by reanimation »

I found that I already had eccentrics in the wrong way up too, now i know i dont need em at least. didnt totally fix it though, however the rain has been wild and extreme + i need to fix the window on drivers side so this may not be helping much at all as it goes up too high, i have new bits to fit and more rubber treating....

if anyone gets a forever fix let us know ;)
LukeQuake

Post by LukeQuake »

Hmm.. I'm confused now

Should the hole be off centred towards the bottom left of the car or face inwards to the centre?

Regards,
trunks_mk1

Post by trunks_mk1 »

isn't that the same thing?
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

The hole should be facing inwards and downwards Luke :)

If they all faced left, the ones on the other side of the car would be working against what you are trying to achieve.
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

Well the eccentric guides didn't work #-o

I tried the silicone and cling film method last weekend, but have been driving around in a company car all week (a Renault Scenic 1.6 auto :( ) and the MR2 has been safely tucked up in my garage, so I haven't had chance to see if it works. However, the Renault developed a fault yesterday 8) so I have to go out on business in my own car, which will either be the 200SX ( [-( - too much petrol) or the MR2 :wink:
Xhermes

Post by Xhermes »

Could you make pics where you applied it? It didn't work for mine :( Mine leaks where the body hits the panel in the front. And it leaks baaad :(
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

I'll get some pictures over the weekend. So far, it hasn't cured the problem, but it has reduced it a bit 8)
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

I've applied the silicone at the tops of the A pillar and B pillar where the T bar sits...

Using this stuff...

Apply cling film...

Refit the roof section...

And leave to dry for a few hours with crossed fingers :)
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

mine leaks down the front of the front seal, and the water comes in at the front of the headliner by the windscreen. cant see why or how though, its just where it does. gonna get eccentric holes and then once theyre in silicone up the front seal. that will hold until summer when i dont need to worry so much. and come summer ive got some better ideas on how to fix it, it involves losing the glass for a start ;)
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

It rained today and not a drip entered the cabin 8)
katana

Post by katana »

Ok concentric thingies fitted at that seems to have fixed the leak in the passenger side, and improved the drivers side but the rear edge B pillar no seem to pass water near the door glass. I've done the door hinge thing so now need to adjust the glass.

Hopefully.
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

It rained today and not a drip entered the cabin

Nice one, but I thought you are supposed to put the sealant on the roof panels so it is not visible when the roof is removed?

Mine now leaks through the top of the windscreen, probably due to the rust. After 3 years of no problems it's all going at once now! ](*,)
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

When the excess is all trimmed off, you can't really notice it 8)
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

In the past have fitted the off centre rods, used silicone with bits of rubber inertube to seal sprayed all seals and IT STILL LEAKS As Chris will testify I have a bloody big gap in the rubber seal on the drivers T-bar panel for no reason? So I have resigned myself to sitting on a plastic bag when driving the car until I have another go with the silicon.
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

with regards the clingfilm and silicone method....

do people recommend putting the clingfilm down first onto the existing seals, adding silicone on top of this, and then putting the glass back on whilst the silicone is still wet?

this way the curing silicone wont eat away at the rubber (which it will do if exposed to it whilst uncured!), will stick to the glass much better than it will to rubber, can be easily cut back if it spreads out too far on the glass, and will come off with the glass and not leave messy lumps on the seals when the glass is removed (which would look rather nasty)

i though my leaks had done, but theyre back, so ive got eccentric holes to fit £5.78 from Toyota for the 4, part no: 63284-17030) which im going to try next, and then failing that the silicone and clingfilm is coming out!!

P.S. a few people have mentioned in the past that the seals which go on the removable glass assembly are no longer available. well Toyota can still get them, so if your leak is there its worth giving your local Toyota dealership a ring :)
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Jim-SR wrote:

P.S. a few people have mentioned in the past that the seals which go on the removable glass assembly are no longer available. well Toyota can still get them, so if your leak is there its worth giving your local Toyota dealership a ring :)

Really? O goody since thats what's dead on mine. Any idea of part numbers please??
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

Where I've applied silicone is where rubber meets rubber.

Passenger side leaked today ](*,)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”