[Mk2] [Turbo] Overheating....

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Pitcher

[Mk2] [Turbo] Overheating....

Post by Pitcher »

This is the first time i have had a real problem with my car, this morning the temp gauge decided to just keep going up!

I am thinking maybe my thermostat may need replacing ad i have notice the temp varying recently but never getting hot, i just thought this was probably due to the weather. Today the engine temp just kept getting hotter but was not getting hot air though the heater.

What do you lot think? thermostat? or possibly trapped air, tho i cant see how that could happen.

Any advice would be great,

Thanks
James
alan mc

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Overheating....

Post by alan mc »

Hi, It does sound like the thermostat not opening, you can do a check with a pan of boiling water though it's probably best just to replace it after the hassle of getting it out as it's in a tricky little spot if I remember rightly, let us know how it goes. :thumleft:
leeharding

Post by leeharding »

sounds like the thermostat to be matey :thumleft:
mr2turbo117

Post by mr2turbo117 »

sounds like could be a possible head gasket :shock:
JasonC

Post by JasonC »

If i were you mate, I'd bleed the coolant of any Air bubbles that might be in the system first !!. Then if it continues to happen look at the T/Stat. Again make sure you get the right sized one for your car as there is two different sizes.

If all this doesn't solve your problem, then have the coolant tested for Hydrocarbons in the coolant, this should give a clear indication if the HG has gone or NOT !! (hopefully).

HTH's

Jason
Pitcher

Post by Pitcher »

Think its got a slight water leak causing trapped air, not had time to really investigate and going away next week so decided to leave it at a local garage, also getting cambelt changed while it is there.

Dont think its the Head Gasket, It got a 1.6mm HKS one, dont expect that to go.

Thanks for all the advise.

James

Return to “Mechanical”