Cheap Petrol / 4age

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Aitch

Cheap Petrol / 4age

Post by Aitch »

As I was running on fumes the other day, I filled up at a Morrisons in Stockport because it was the only petrol station showing on my sat nav #-o.

Normally I use V-Power, through force of habit from filling up a Nissan 200SX. I didn't think the MR2 would particularly benefit from using a higher octane fuel, but it is running like a bag of hammers on the Morrisons stuff, kangarooing even when warm :(

Is it me imagining it, or does better fuel really help the 4age run better?
shepz

Re: Cheap Petrol / 4age

Post by shepz »

in my experiences yes it really does!

there's this really dingy not well used petrol station up my end and i filled up there a few weeks ago, car didnt feel right for a week.

now i always fill it up with v-power as in my experience's the car runs alot smoother.
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

Definately higher the octane, the smoother the engine. Tesco's 99 is good as well. No noticeable difference in performance though even if you do change the timing.
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

(edited thread title so it dosent get moved to off topic)

I found that moving from another brand of high ocatne / super unleaded fuel (as i always put super in the sc) to V Power, i got an extra 40km per tank out of it.

there was no dicernable difference in performance, but obvously the engine used it more efficiently.

tescos 99 is the highest octane around at the mo i think.
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

I always try to fill up with Shell V power, which i have always been happy with but a couple of weekends ago i had to fill up with Esso, as my usual Shell garage was shut.
I put in normal unleaded and must admit i didn't find much difference in performance!
I will always stick with V power, as i believe it is probably the best we can get but i was suprised! that there didn't seem to be much real difference in performance.
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

My fuel economy has actually been shocking this week too #-o

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”