[Mk2] [Turbo] popping sound pls help me!!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

turbocoz

[Mk2] [Turbo] popping sound pls help me!!

Post by turbocoz »

Sometimes when i get chance to get a heavy foot on a open road i get a popping sound coming from the engine and i dont know what this is. Can someone with the knowledge pls explain what this is and what i can do to get rid of it.

My current mods are as follows:-
mongoose cat back exhaust
fcd
mbc
boost gauge.

I turned up the boost but to just below 1 bar.

Can u help me?

cheers Ian
leeharding

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] popping sound pls help me!!

Post by leeharding »

Hi,

are you sure that it isnt unburnt fuel in your exhaust that makes the popping noise?
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

^^^^ What he said. Does sound like it - just enjoy it. It's pretty common on turbo'd cars - even more so if they've been de-catted. Your Mongoose will be able to handle it I'd have thought.
turbocoz

popping

Post by turbocoz »

Sorry i should of explained it better, got man flu so my heads all over at the mo lol , i only get the popping noise when i boot it and when it starts to pop the power drops off. Is this 'knocking' and should i be worried. :?:
Caribbean_Blue

Re: popping

Post by Caribbean_Blue »

turbocoz wrote:Sorry i should of explained it better, got man flu so my heads all over at the mo lol , i only get the popping noise when i boot it and when it starts to pop the power drops off. Is this 'knocking' and should i be worried. :?:

When you say the power drops? What do you mean it becomes sluggish? The car jults? Can you see the engine light come on when the lack of power comes on?

Also have you checked for error codes?
turbocoz

popping

Post by turbocoz »

the car feels a little hesitant but i back right off as soon as it starts to do this. Could it be the boost limit cutting back in?.
Caribbean_Blue

Post by Caribbean_Blue »

I would check error codes as a first port of call. That should/could shed some light. There is a how-to in the knowledge section of the site if you dont know how pretty straight forward.

Sounds to me you could have hit Fuel cut it being still a bit chilly could have caused boost to spike under hard driving. Think the ecu error code for this is 34. I believe manual boost controllers are not as stable at holding boost properly. I may be wrong though...

Do the error codes and let us know.
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

Worth checking ignition components too - plugs/leads/dizzy cap/rotor arm. When were they last changed?
turbocoz

popping

Post by turbocoz »

i bought new cold grade 7 plugs from Tim at xxxx, but never changed the rest, i had a look under the engine and noticed some leakage around the rocker cover so im gonna change the gasket and do the sump gasket at the same time as its never been done either.

But il get onto changing the plugs and dizzy soon.
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

Hope you figure it out mate - nothing more frustrating than a tubby that's not performing.
turbocoz

popping

Post by turbocoz »

No not yet i couldnt find were to put the bit of wire to check for error codes , but i have now. Im not getting any warning lights up on the dash so should i still check it.

And u will like this one......... my clutch pedal just hit the floor and decided to stay there for two weeks in the sun. bloody charming.
I now have to pull it back up with my foot so starting off in first gets a bit tricky.

I had peter at SBITS put a new clutch in, mid last year. are these cable or hydralic clutches? Il check the fluid levels in the morning just to be safe!!!

Anyone had this problem? ](*,)
djlee_dj

Post by djlee_dj »

is it raining or wet when the popping / hesitant happens ?

mine did this when water got in the ignition components

check dizzy/ignitor etc.

search the forum if this relates
turbocoz

popping

Post by turbocoz »

nope, it can do it anytime come rain or shine, pop pop bloody pop lol!

Its getting to me now.
karammander

Post by karammander »

well your popping is more than likely the car missing, i used to get this wheni first owned the tubby, i quick change of rotor arm and dizzy, all was sorted. as far as the clutch, this also happened to me, i chose to replace the master and the slave cylinder just incase, could of been either at fauly.

cheers karam
turbocoz

popping

Post by turbocoz »

cheers for that il defo look into that on sat. does anyone know where the best place is to get a new dizzy and rotor arm from. Mr T perhaps?

What about the the master and slave? where can i get them from.

Return to “Mechanical”