[Mk2] [NA] **Updated** Think I've found my first MR2 - Now test driven!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gayno

[Mk2] [NA] **Updated** Think I've found my first MR2 - Now test driven!

Post by gayno »

I think I've found my perfect MR2 after a 4 month search!!

Black, T-Bar, Full service history, Not a dent on it, Covered in ice when I arrived and it started no problem within a second and idled and revved smoothly, no water in the boot, WORKING!! aerial, never used spare wheel and tool kit.

Don't think there's anything more I could want!

Couple of things though:

The drivers door drops slightly, about 1cm when opened. Common? Fixable?

150k miles. Its a 1991 Rev1 but should I carry on my serach, or is this fine? As mentioned its a FULL service history up to now, although is about due one I'd say. Runs fine, everything looks fine and sounds fine!
Last edited by gayno on Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blue2

Re: [Mk2] [NA] **Updated** Think I've found my first MR2 - Now test driven!

Post by blue2 »

Some things to note incase you were unaware. Firstly the rev1's have less bhp than the later revisions (rev2 1 I think is around 120bhp, rev 2 is 158 and rev 3 and 4 are 175bhp). The mileage may also be an issue depending on what work has been done. Has the timing belt been changed,? if so when. Is the coolant system in good working order ie- clean and no leaks. Check the radiator isnt too damaged, no big holes etc.
By the sounds of your post it looks like you are after a specific colour and style. It may be worth while spending a bit more time looking for one with a lower mileage as this will pretty much guarantee a trouble free engine and transmission.
How much is the seller asking? I would say for the car you describe around £1500? Much more than this is probably toomuch for a car of this age and mileage.
Personally I would probably keep looking as good examples are about and it is worth the wait to find the car you really want. Also check this site out as its full of info http://www.btinternet.com/~netsurf/mr2t/mr2tfaq.html Its mainly for japanese imported mr2's but its still all relevant.
Hope this helps, :D
gayno

Post by gayno »

Do they really? I thought the Rev1 and 2 3S-GE engines were the same 158bhp block? I know the Rev1 also came with the 3S-FE which was around 120bhp........

Specific style and colour.....well, I really want a T-Bar! But the colour I'm not too fussed on, I just love them in Black!

Timing belt I'm not sure of, but I assume the coolant/heating system is working, as it was covered in ice when I arrived, but the ice on windscreen had gone within 5 mins of starting the engine and turning the blowers on.

The seller is a trader advertising at £1600 ono, so valuing it at around £1500 in line with your estimate (the advertise for more rule ;) )
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Sorry my mistake your right the lower bhp engine was on the earlier cars :oops: However for a car of that mileage I would knock that price down a bit and offer £1200. The engines in mr2's and most japanese cars are pretty much bullet proof but the running gear, cooling sytem etc are not and you may find a few problems as time goes on.
Really dont want to put you off buying this one but Im fairly sure if you wait a bit longer for around the £1500-£1700 mark you will find a black t-bar with a significantly lower mileage than the one you're considering.
Just done a quick search on autotrader for an example the 5th car down on this page is on 70k for £1600 http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/ca ... _full.y=12

Also the 3rd one down on this page is another good example.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/ca ... _full.y=12

It is a pain in the @ss finding the car you want, I took 5 months finding mine. Saying that the only concern regarding the car you described would be the mileage. If everything else major like the suspension, gearbox, running gear and cooling system is working fine then you'll probably be ok as there are cars on here with higher mileage.
Keep us posted! :D
leeharding

Post by leeharding »

Lower BHP on the early versions :^o :^o

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=48

i ahve a 1990 which pushs out 158bhp :lol:
skytek

Post by skytek »

The 120 bhp car was the spoilerless version which had a 3SFE engine and not a 3SGE. These are the lowest powered mk2 mr2s and are best avoided :thumleft:
blue2

Post by blue2 »

My mate had a lower bhp version a while back. His was a 1990 rev1 without the spoiler.
gayno

Post by gayno »

Thanks for the info so far guys.

My mate has got a Rev1 with the 3S-FE engine, I've been in it and it's not that bad! Mind you, I haven't been in a 3S-GE to compare yet!
funkmonkey

Post by funkmonkey »

yeah as long as its the 3sge motor u'll have 158 bhp ish. mines a rev 1 1990 and had it on a rolling road and was still mking 153 bhp, not bad for a 17 year old car.
aliendoughnut

Post by aliendoughnut »

keep looking its a buyers market out there you will definately get one with less miles on :mrgreen:
leeharding

Post by leeharding »

ignore me
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

Just for a little info mine is a rev2 yellow(rare colour) import with air con, all electrics but a tin top. only 58000 miles with full uk toyota history. I paid £1800 fot it TWO years ago so bargains are there to be had. Dont buy unless yr totally happy with it. Mine has run like a dream.

Good luck, Martin. :D
gayno

Post by gayno »

Thanks guys,

Someone said over on mr2oc "Buy with your head, not your heart" Which I think is sound advice.

I'm gonna keep looking, but while I'm at it I think I'll take this for a test drive anyway, that way I'll have reference for any other I want to test drive as well.

I'm just gutted because its a black T-Bar which is what I've been looking for!
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Or.....
Knock down the price due to the mileage to £1250 or so, showing adverts of lower mileage cars to prove your point, then spend the £350 you've saved sorting it. Full service, change all fluids and attend the bits that need it (poss droplinks for example, or cam belt change if its not been done).
Theres nothing wrong with cars with that mileage... so long as you pay accordingly and make sure it's maintainence is up to date. Reckon you'll get another 100k at least.
Mine's done 167000 and other than new clutches at 80k and 160k, no probs. But... I maintain it properly and dont skimp.
You could buy something with half the miles and still find yourself having to replace cam belts/clutches etc if it's not been looked after.
Lots of receipts is the thing to look for......
Whatever you get I hope you enjoy, they are fabulous pets to have...
Good luck.
gayno

Post by gayno »

Well this has had a full service history, fully stamped in the book, but is about due a service about now. The body is perfect and the spare not even used, so I can see its likely its been very well looked after. It started in the freezing cold as well with no problems and runs fine from the moment the key is turned.

The reason the mileage doesn't really concern me is that I start a new job on Monday (go me!) and the office is just1 mile from my house, so I'm not going to be adding much to it really. I drive to Bristol every other weekend (160 miles round trip) to see the Mrs. Other than that I don't drive around too much.

I'm gonna go see it and drive it next weeked, so I'll find out about the clutch and cambelt then. If the cambelt receipt isn't present, is there a way to tell when it was last done??
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Hiya mate.
If the belts been done by a Toy dealer it'll be in the service history and show in the receipts. Also it'll be noted on the cambelt cover on the engine itself.
Ask about fluid changes (oil, coolant (which should be toyota longlife only), and gearbox oil) and when last done.
Good luck with it, let us know how you get on.
R
gayno

Post by gayno »

Cheers mate,

I'm not sure exactly how much he'll be able to tell me as its a dealer that's selling, not a private sale.

Anywho, all questions will be answered in a weeks time!
funkmonkey

Post by funkmonkey »

As said b4 its a buyers market, there are soooo many mk2 mr2's about that u just need to resist the urge to buy if there is any doubt in your mind. there are plenty of good low milage ones about if you take your time. mines a g-limited (jap import) bought of an imoc member and only cost £850 wiv less than 70k on the clock.

Keep searching and good luck!!!!
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/ca ... ull=SEARCH

WTF... look at the price of the last one :S btw, if you click on it , there is a description there, its in white font, so ull have to select it to read it
gayno

Post by gayno »

Took it for a drive and wow!!

For a car thats done 150k and is 15 years old, I couldn't believe how well it drove!

Cambelt was done at 118k giving approx 30k until it needs doing again.

Clutch is unknown, but a low and quick biting point tells me its ok, or am I a guy who doesn't know anything?!

Seeing it in the light proved the bodywork was fine, a few light scratches but nothing that can't be polished out. All electrics work and the T-Bars come out and in fine......the clip to hold the engine cover prop rod is still there unbroken!!

When driving though, the gearbox was a bit "notchy". It was difficult to get into gears sometimes, other time it would be fine. Is it me just not used to this type of 'box, or does it indicate a problem??

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”