[Mk2] [NA] Suspension Options

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

leeharding

[Mk2] [NA] Suspension Options

Post by leeharding »

Hey all,

Ive got a Mk2 Rev1 1990 :D what are the best options for lowering?

I want to lower around 35-40mm. Can i just replace the springs or would it best best to have to be a full system set-up? :-k

Cheers
Lee
pintovit

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Suspension Options

Post by pintovit »

There are plenty discussions about this on this forum. Do a quick search, you won't miss it.

But depends on what you want.

On a tight budget, lowering coils is probably the best option.

Coilovers will give you better road holding, customizable height and a lighter wallet.

Vítor
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Hiya mate,
I'm running an '89 rev1 mk2 on standard struts with fensport 30mm lowering springs and 15" rims. Ride was noticeably harder after the spring change but not hard enough to make me want to change back and loose the much improved cornering 'feel' due to the decreased body roll.
Looks miles better too.
Some will say coilovers are the way forward... they're also very expensive and very adjustable. How often do you think your gona want to adjust them for road driving though? Will you be doing alot of track racing? They may ultimately be better in terms of getting around a given corner quickest but by the time your pushing hard enough to be able to tell the difference your well over any speed limit and on a public road your putting yourself and others in real danger.
I'm sticking with just the springs but if your budget allows maybe mildly uprate your shocks to yellow billies and fit at the same time to save hassle.
Oh, and change the too skinny, too big standard steering wheel as well. You'll be surprised at the difference that makes to steering input and you have no airbag to loose anyway. Pix in my garage of lowered car and new wheel. Enjoy.....
leeharding

Post by leeharding »

Cheers Rob, the steering wheel is not standard :D

As you can see. Its how i brought it. :mrgreen:

Im going to take a look at the condition of the struts this weekend, I think coilovers will be too over the top to be honest, i wont be changing the height/stiffness of the ride every week or so. So would want just to keep it at one height/stiffness. The car currently has 17's on. Not sure if i would sell them and get 16s then lower by 35-40mm. :-k

Decisions decisions Decisions... anyway Mot Sat \:D/
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Good luck with the MOT mate.
Is it a rev1 or 2, your avatar says 2? Anyway see what the MOT says about the struts, maybe if there on the way out you can go for the yellow billies but to be honest I dont think I'm gona upgrade till I've been in a rev1 thats got em and experienced the differences.
Alot of people make expensive changes without seeming to check em out first.... I'm not sure it's worth the cash till improvements (and/or disadvantages) are proven, especially with suspension and our crap British roads when my car is day to day transport for me.
I'm on 167.000 with no probs at all in 7yrs so hope you have many years fun ahead of you....
Cheers
R.
pintovit

Post by pintovit »

Replying to Rob Shipp, totally agree...

The only major plus on the coilovers to me, is that I could set it up as soft as possible for the lady (otherwise she wouldn't even enter the car and that would spoil the fun) and then as hard as my back can stand for track...

Don't know if this is a mirage because a lot of people complains here about the coilovers being too harsh... Don't know if that's because of their settings or because no matter how soft you set them, they will be always as hard as concrete.

Cheers,
Vítor
leeharding

Post by leeharding »

sorry that was my last MR2...

Ive got a Mk2 Rev1 1990 :), ill keep you posted with the MOT probs :mrgreen: IF ANY 8)
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

don't go coilover - totaly waste of money.

On the Rev1 lower by 25-35mm max, use Bilstein yellows, solid bushes (including the front tie-rod mounts) solid top mounts and probably new lower swivel joints all round. Then once bedded in get the 4-wheel alignment done *properly*.

If it still rolls too much, fit stiffer/adjustable anti-roll bars.

Don't lower it 40mm, it'll be far too hard, look silly (IMHO) and lose tyre grip.

Return to “Modifications”