run in with S2000

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Ian Geary

run in with S2000

Post by Ian Geary »

Today, I coasted up to a dual carriage way island with one of these in front of me.

As I left the island at about 15mph onto a 1 mile (empty) dual carriage way straight, his back went down, a puff of blue smoke came out and off he went.

So it seemed the only decent thing to do was to give it a run...

I floored my tubbie through 2nd, 3rd and 4ths getting to the readline, but he had the jump on me and I couldn't catch it up at all, and remained some car lengths behind.

At 100ish I backed off as the gap was too close, and the next island was looming anyway.

It was more a case of me keeping up than anything, but I was expecting to gain on it a bit at least.

My car had 273fbhp (240wbhp) with 248 ft-lb of torque put down at Perfect Touch this autumn, which I now suspect was a bit optimistic, as I thought I'd have made more ground on this car.

Oh well, I made someone's new year at least.

I should really make getting my car's stuttering on boost sorted as my New Year's resolution I think...
steve b

Re: run in with S2000

Post by steve b »

never know he my have been supercharged, wasn't bibbs was it?
SWMark

Post by SWMark »

Hmm wierd, i had no problems with the one i had a play with, didnt whoop him but made 5/6car lengths up to 110.
[SiG]

Post by [SiG] »

He could have been lightly-tuned too m8, can make about 215-220whp on the engines with the right mods & I think they may be a touch lighter. In any case they're quite quick for what they are, I love em =P~
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

I'm a bit suprised at that result too - would have thought you'd definately have at least caught up to the S2000 during a long pull (ie. between 20 to 100) with 240WHP.

Does their dyno give a WHP reading (like a Dynojet) which they then use to approximate the FWHP? What method did they use to calculate the FWHP reading?

Cheers
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

cheers for the replies guys.

The car didn't look modded - looked a very clean example in fact.

I think it confirms my car is a bit sick, and isn't running spot on. As I mentioned, I do get some flagging or stuttering when boosting it sometimes, which happened on this instance, but does pull well other times - like on the rolling road.

I'm not sure what system Perfect Touch use, but I suspect they measured the 240 at the wheels, then did a run down to calculate transmission losses, then added the losses on to calculate a fly wheel figure, which I think is usual practice for rolling roads.

Since the rolling road, I have retarted the timing back to about 10btdc, as the bloke said it was advanced to bu88ery and he was picking up a bit bit of det through his cans.

Maybe I need to have a look at this again...back to the mechanical section for me I think.

I've been toying with an mbc for a while, but want my car to be running well on stock set up first.

cheers,

Ian
zak_godsell

Post by zak_godsell »

i did not think they were that fast.would not have bothered but now given the chance i would race one.i did see two off these cars in sainsburys car park today.i do like the look of them
skipp123

Post by skipp123 »

dont hold me to it but i think they are about 6.5 to 60 and very early 14s down the 1/4 i know its no comarison but me and a mate absoloutly ruined one of these with light mods ie exhaust filter, we were in a scoob P1 though :mrgreen:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Ian Geary wrote:cheers for the replies guys.

The car didn't look modded - looked a very clean example in fact.

I think it confirms my car is a bit sick, and isn't running spot on. As I mentioned, I do get some flagging or stuttering when boosting it sometimes, which happened on this instance, but does pull well other times - like on the rolling road.

I'm not sure what system Perfect Touch use, but I suspect they measured the 240 at the wheels, then did a run down to calculate transmission losses, then added the losses on to calculate a fly wheel figure, which I think is usual practice for rolling roads.

Since the rolling road, I have retarted the timing back to about 10btdc, as the bloke said it was advanced to bu88ery and he was picking up a bit bit of det through his cans.

Maybe I need to have a look at this again...back to the mechanical section for me I think.

I've been toying with an mbc for a while, but want my car to be running well on stock set up first.

cheers,

Ian

I've been getting some stuttering on initial WOT also - I think it is knock response too. I've been trying Miller's octane booster and there does seem to be some improvement - although it took a few cycles of refilling/adding octane booster before the stuttering improved enough to be noticeable.

I want to try a colder grade of spark plug next to see whether this makes any improvement too.
[SiG]

Post by [SiG] »

S2000's at standard have about a 99mph terminal for a 1/4 mile so not too shabby 8)
lower

Post by lower »

Not quite true. Its difficult and very expensive to get any power increase out of them unless you start looking at supercharging etc. They're pretty highly tuned engines already. You can get an increase further down the power curve, but not really increase the top end power signficantly. Certainly not like a turbo car when you can easily increase the boost and get an instant power increase.

I've always thought that my s2000's have been significantly quicker than my old mr2 turbo. Takes a while to get used to, and if you are caught in the wrong gear or don't make full use to the vtec rev range you do get 'destroyed'. But drive it properly, and it seems to be much quicker than it should be.

Honda quote 6.2 for the 0-60, but MIRA got 5.5.

[SiG] wrote:He could have been lightly-tuned too m8, can make about 215-220whp on the engines with the right mods & I think they may be a touch lighter. In any case they're quite quick for what they are, I love em =P~
Tommo-GTS

Post by Tommo-GTS »

Isnt the S2000 engine the one that 'redlines' at 9000rpm, surely that would make a big difference in acceleration...

:)
Tommo-GTS

Post by Tommo-GTS »

Isnt the S2000 engine the one that 'redlines' at 9000rpm, surely that would make a big difference in acceleration...

:)
lower

Post by lower »

Yes. Hits VTEC at 6k revs and then you've got the power band until it hits the limiter at 9200 revs.

\:D/
fizz

Post by fizz »

if it were Bibbs... i think he would have been left behind by all accounts... 'ehh Ben.. :eye:
Bibbs

Post by Bibbs »

Heh heh, nope, I'd have still been doing 30 and spinning the tyres as he went past. Wouldn't have been me by the "looked stock" comment either. :lol:

There are a few tweaked examples (exhaust/filter), and only a handful of blown ones in the UK.

Most are 185 ~ 195 wbhp .. the 237 (UK) and 247 (Jap) BHP's (240/250 PS) seem to suffer a lot of transmition loss. The engine is the same over the revisions, but the ECU map changed. A 'Charger puts it about 280~320wbhp dependant on tuning and supporting mods. Turbo (only 1 in the UK I know of) can put it about 500wbhp with not much more than a headgasket to lower the compression.

I had a play with a lightly tweaked S2000 in my old MR2 (200wbhp) and I beat it, but not by much. My current S2000 would murder the MR2. It still scares me :pale:
EarL

Post by EarL »

Me thinks I need to make a trip to your neck of the woods Bibbsy old boy. :wink:

EarL.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
fizz

Post by fizz »

EarL wrote:Me thinks I need to make a trip to your neck of the woods Bibbsy old boy. :wink:

EarL.

Or you could both meet at Santa Pod.. :eye:
Bibbs

Post by Bibbs »

EarL wrote:Me thinks I need to make a trip to your neck of the woods Bibbsy old boy. :wink:

EarL.

Heh heh .. I was asked by a mate how I was going to get over my traction "issue" .. My reply was "Wait till summer".

Will see how she gets on @ Nur in May, that's going to be the real test for me. Got a few tweaks to get on first. Still getting ~20mpg around town driving too :shock:

But a stock S2000 (as most are) would be a good match for a Rev1/2 MR2, really coming down to driver skill. But I'd expect the Honda to win under braking/handling. Generic modded vs generic modded, as usual is not predictable and as usual not worth talking about.
Bibbs

Post by Bibbs »

fizz wrote:Or you could both meet at Santa Pod.. :eye:

Still not done a run at the strip .. I'm not a great driver, but even I could get a straight line horribly wrong. #-o

Return to “Driving Experiences”