[Mk2] [Turbo] taking injector resistor packs out of circuit

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2%Tiger

[Mk2] [Turbo] taking injector resistor packs out of circuit

Post by 2%Tiger »

Hi
am just installing a Hydra nemesis 2 with Blitz 850cc high impedance injectors, but I need to take the existing resistors out of circuit.

Does anyone have any photos of where the resistor packs are and how best to take them out of circuit and rewire.

Thanks
Grajey

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] taking injector resistor packs out of circuit

Post by Grajey »

Hi,

Resistor pack was here (circled).

There should be 2 aluminium heatsinks but as I no longer have the resistor pack installed the one nearest the bulkhead is missing.
To isolate I simply disconnected the pack and wiring from the bracket. I then cut all 5 wires midway between pack and plug. I then twisted all the wires together and soldered the joint. I used shrink tube to cover the exposed cable.

I then re-fitted plug.

I did it this way because it made cutting and soldering so much easier.

HTH
2%Tiger

Post by 2%Tiger »

Hi
Thanks for that.

Can I ask how you then connected your injctors to your loom and where you did it?

I was hoping that I could take 8 wires out the resistors pack and wire them to the 8 wires to the injectors but I am guessing that the 5 wires are a common earth for all injectors and a live for each injector.

Any ideas?

thanks
JJ

Post by JJ »

Is that you derek ? :-s

What you have is a 12 volt live feeding all 4 injectors.. hence the 5 wires. Each feed goes to each individual injector, where there is an earth wire that comes from it... the whole electrical system on these cars rely on earth switching !

Its at the ecu end with the 4 earths that the switching takes place.

You will have to cut your loom to fit those injectors, I had to !! Normally, in a new purchase, you would get clips to go with them.

I actually ran a new loom just for the injectors... but in the end , you have additional wires all over the place - wouldnt bother ! O:)
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
2%Tiger

Post by 2%Tiger »

Hi JJ
yes its me, Derek, finally getting around to finishing off. So how are you these days apart from collecting cars!

So if I understand, I have 4 injectors, each with a feed and an earth line, but at the resistor pack there is 1nr 12V feed and one earth for each injector. Switching is done at the ecu.

I was hoping to use the exising loom and just mate the input of the resistor pack to the output, as this makes for a neater job. I am concerned about cable insulation melting and circuits shorting.

Do you think it is feasible to take the live line and split it into 4, one for each injector then marry up the earths?

if so do you know which cable colour goes to which injector

cheers, and good to hear from you!

Derek
mikewright

Post by mikewright »

Just ready to fit my nemesis ecu as well - who you using to get it mapped?
2%Tiger

Post by 2%Tiger »

mikewright wrote:Just ready to fit my nemesis ecu as well - who you using to get it mapped?

not sure, probably Thor, you got any ideas?
mikewright

Post by mikewright »

not sure yet - possibly perfect touch as they seem to have done a lot of good work and they aren't too far away. Got a base map with it so hopefully it'll be just a matter of tweaking that a little [-o<
2%Tiger

Post by 2%Tiger »

Grajey wrote:Hi,

Resistor pack was here (circled).

There should be 2 aluminium heatsinks but as I no longer have the resistor pack installed the one nearest the bulkhead is missing.
To isolate I simply disconnected the pack and wiring from the bracket. I then cut all 5 wires midway between pack and plug. I then twisted all the wires together and soldered the joint. I used shrink tube to cover the exposed cable.

I then re-fitted plug.

I did it this way because it made cutting and soldering so much easier.

HTH

Did you use the existing wiring for the injectors? Or do anything else?

Also why do you refit the the plug if the pack is off the car and the other end of the cables are soldered together, Sorry if I am missing something here

thanks
2%Tiger

Post by 2%Tiger »

mikewright wrote:not sure yet - possibly perfect touch as they seem to have done a lot of good work and they aren't too far away. Got a base map with it so hopefully it'll be just a matter of tweaking that a little [-o<

do they have a website Mike, they would be closer for me also
Grajey

Post by Grajey »

I cut the wiring here so that I could take the plug to the bench to work with. I stripped and soldered all the cables together which I then covered in heatshrink. I then connected the plug back to the wiring harness. Job done.

HTH
mikewright

Post by mikewright »

Not sure about a web site but i know they are in hoddesdon if that helps at all.
2%Tiger

cheers

Post by 2%Tiger »

job done, thanks all

Return to “Modifications”