[Mk2] [Turbo] what do you think...!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Martin F
IMOC Moderator

[Mk2] [Turbo] what do you think...!

Post by Martin F »

is it possible to change the headgasket in a rev 3 turbo without removing the engine,also where would i be able to buy a s/s one,how much and what is the diference in sizes,i.e. 1.2mm or 1.6mm,many thanks to any responses :pale:
Last edited by Martin F on Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanRs

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] what do you think...!

Post by RyanRs »

i would very much doubt you have to remove the engine to change a HG.. just remove the head... leave the inlet manifold on, but remove the exaust side... someone else on here will confirm where the best part on the exaust side will be best to undo...??

i no HKS make a SS HG but there like £170 !! dont fink comtec do them for rev3 .... meh.. mabe toyota??
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

No need to remove engine. Remove top half of timing belt, exhaust manifold at head, all other connections. Should be able to leave inlet manifold on. Some find it easier to remove that too.

Rev3+ already use MLS head gasket.
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

whats a good upgrade gasket for a rev3 turbo if your ripping the HG off, i know the stock one is good, but how good?

Whats the differance between the 1.2 and 1.6 and so on? i assume they lower the CR and hence you can run more boost? but do they also have adverse effects on the engine?
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

Kenny-Boost wrote:whats a good upgrade gasket for a rev3 turbo if your ripping the HG off, i know the stock one is good, but how good?

Whats the differance between the 1.2 and 1.6 and so on? i assume they lower the CR and hence you can run more boost? but do they also have adverse effects on the engine?

why do you need to find an uprated one? the standard rev 3 is a 4 layer steel gasket. I don't see you exceeding that at anytime soon :)

people generally use the the ticker gaskets to compensate for having the head skimmed on a rebuild. I dont think there are many people who could answer you question of adverse effects of using a thicker gasket on a standard head.

some people use them just to lower then CR slightly as they think they can run more boost hence more power but the higher compression the more power you could make at the same boost its just more prone to det.

like i said i dont think there has been enough testing done by uk companies to give an accurate answer

paul
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

Head (i'm guessing) will be coming off when the guts are getting ripped out over winter.

:D
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

gasket

Post by Martin F »

due to being on a limited budget the guts will be staying standard for the time being(i know life sucks ](*,) ) unfortunately... s/s headgasket idea is because i would like to push the standard engine to its limits and the s/s headgasket would not be failing on me.(last two mr2 turbos ive had have had problems with the gasket going in such areas where the oil and water would be mixing,i.e.mayonaise kind of substance under the oil cap and engine bubbling a bit more than normal)(if it should be bubbling at all)
planning on running ct20b stage 3 turbo,with apexi fc ,fse boost valve,de-cat with full s/s exhaust,boost controller,air filter,uprated intercooler,clutch and that is about it..looking for around 320 bhp at the wheels,hence the s/s headgasket..!
the pistons and uprated fuel supply are at least 18 months away..!just looking forward to next summer,if you get my drift \:D/
ohh no..!ive just started a whole new debate...can it be done ... cant it
bring it on...! :thumleft:
SB

Post by SB »

What they are saying though is that the stock Toyota HG on a Rev3+ engine is steel ;)

Earlier revisions had a Kellogs head gasket :lol:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

is it not just the celica GT4 head gasget thats multi layer steel then??

humm.. and this is the same gasget that comes with the 3s-gte complete gasget set from Mr T ?? -does MrT offer a range of Std thicknesses?

mrtee - i fink i am right in saying that , raising the compression ratio .. degrades bottom end performance.. and you will have to run More mid-top end boost pressure to achieve the same power figures that you had on normal compression.. but you will be able to run Even more boost with a lowerd ratio with lower chance of Detonation..

Raising the compression will improve torque and low down grunt, but restrict you on how much boost you can run.. i hear that people try stick to 9.0:1 (std ratio ??) or 8.8:1 when lowering compression.
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

not sure mate, but from what i gather the ST205 and Rev3 engine are the exact same top to bottom but the ST205 gets the CC and the MR2 gets a side mount IC

Return to “Mechanical”