Donnington Tuesday 17th October

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

lower

Re: Donnington Tuesday 17th October

Post by lower »

Doh! I saw the car listed as a toyota mk2 on the bookatrack site and assumed it was mk2 mr2 as opposed to anything else. I saw you on track quite a lot but didn't realise that was you!

I was in the 06 registered silver s2000. I was one of about 4 in that colour so i doubt you'd have specifally noticed me, except for the fact i was the only s2000 that managed to make its brake discs glow red hot! There were about 19 s2k's there, as i'd liased with jonny to make it a club day. We had a cracking day, but too many stoppages and then queues for my liking.

I do know peter, he's quite well known on the s2k list as his car is pretty well modified. I was trying to hold him off and then follow him round for a few laps that killed my brakes. He's got a 6 pot tarox setup, i've got oem's with ferodo ds2500 pads that are bloody good compared to oem, but not compared to his!

Sorry i missed you. I think i've probably been at 3 or more trackdays that you've been at but never managed to say hello!
Lauren
Premium Member

Post by Lauren »

Oh well, next time.. ;)

Yep i remember quite a few silver S2000s though couldn't pinpoint you. the only ones that stuck in my mind was a red one and a black one (A7DY...) who weren't too aware of their mirrors.

I had brake issues as well, it limited my speed through the craners a bit, always seem to find that i ran out of brakes when i came up to Macleans.

I had quite a lot of people come and ask what the car was, think it surprised a few people.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
lower

Post by lower »

i had a few of those moment too. The red one was driven by a girl who had never been on the track before and was quite intimidated, but she got the hang of it and improved a lot.

The biggest problem i had was with a grey vx220 turbo who kept holding me up. i sat behind him for 3 laps, flashing headlights and everything and he wouldn't let me by. he was quicker on the straights, though not by much, but i evenutally got past. turned out he had an instructor on board who'd told him not to let anyone past...... Grrrrr.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

A BAT instructor was telling a slower driver not to overtake?!?!

I thought BAT days were meant to be the definition of good manners...
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

i sat behind him for 3 laps, flashing headlights and everything

That sort of behaviour would have you hung drawn and quartered surely on a BAT day?
lower

Post by lower »

skinthespin wrote:
i sat behind him for 3 laps, flashing headlights and everything

That sort of behaviour would have you hung drawn and quartered surely on a BAT day?

it was a bookatrack day. In the briefing, bookatrack state that flashing headlights is not conisdered agressive, rather a 'i don't think you've seen me yet and i'd like to come past'.

I caught him quite quickly, sat behind him for a lap, flashed him to let him know i was there, still wasn't let past so dropped back for half a lap, then caught him up again and he still wouldn't let me past. By this point there was a queue starting to form behind me. Another lap and a half of close following, another flash of the lights, and he eventually let me past.
Last edited by lower on Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
lower

Post by lower »

jonb- wrote:A BAT instructor was telling a slower driver not to overtake?!?!

A BAT instructor, Howard i think, was telling him to ignore everyone else and concentrate on his own driving. Hence not letting people past.

The BAT instructor i had, can't remember his name but he was very good, was very good at watching mirrors and suggesting that i let someone past, namely the RUF porsches and the odd exige.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

lower wrote:
jonb- wrote:A BAT instructor was telling a slower driver not to overtake?!?!

A BAT instructor, Howard i think, was telling him to ignore everyone else and concentrate on his own driving. Hence not letting people past.

The BAT instructor i had, can't remember his name but he was very good, was very good at watching mirrors and suggesting that i let someone past, namely the RUF porsches and the odd exige.

I think "Howard" needs a kick in the ar$e.
Lauren
Premium Member

Post by Lauren »

lower wrote:it was a bookatrack day. In the briefing, bookatrack state that flashing headlights is not conisdered agressive, rather a 'i don't think you've seen me yet and i'd like to come past'.

I caught him quite quickly, sat behind him for a lap, flashed him to let him know i was there, still wasn't let past so dropped back for half a lap, then caught him up again and he still wouldn't let me past. By this point there was a queue starting to form behind me. Another lap and a half of close following, another flash of the lights, and he eventually let me past.

If that was the case you should have spoke to Katie on the pitlane, or alternatively i guess you could bring it up on the BaT forum or email [email protected].
lower

Post by lower »

the howard bit being the instructor was hearsay so i don't want to tell tales on him if he wasn't the instructor. I was going to tell jonny, but i saw the vx pull up outside the garage where you picked up the instuctors and saw someone get out and assumed it was an insturctor.

Then someone else who'd had the same problem with the vx told me it was howard instructing, someone else said howard was known for this and so on and so on. I've seen comments on the bookatrack forum about howard to that effect in the past too.

the instructor i had wasn't howard (can't remember his name), and apart from being a good instructor, kept his eyes on the mirrors, was happy for me to let people past when i wanted and suggested that i might move over when i hadn't seen someone. Much better.

Lauren wrote:
lower wrote:it was a bookatrack day. In the briefing, bookatrack state that flashing headlights is not conisdered agressive, rather a 'i don't think you've seen me yet and i'd like to come past'.

If that was the case you should have spoke to Katie on the pitlane, or alternatively i guess you could bring it up on the BaT forum or email [email protected].
Lauren
Premium Member

Post by Lauren »

Am guessing you had Danny. He's a nice guy, unless it was the bald headed Simon Mason who is excellent... I know he was there on Saturday though thought he was doing a tuition day with someone.
lower

Post by lower »

Probably was danny, a youngish guy with brown hair. Good instructor and a nice bloke.
Lauren
Premium Member

Post by Lauren »

lower wrote:Probably was danny, a youngish guy with brown hair. Good instructor and a nice bloke.

Yep Danny Buxton is his name, clio cup champion.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”