Someone please recomend a suspension set up!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Greddy-Matt

Re: Someone please recomend a suspension set up!

Post by Greddy-Matt »

The Tyre place didn't fancy trying to squeeze 225 section rubber on a 7 inch rim :D Im looking at getting a new set of rims in the near future, 7j inch up front and 8j on the rear hopefully.

So from what people are saying, a decent set of dampers and uprated springs would be better for every day use rather than a coilover set up?
Poohbear

Post by Poohbear »

Hmmmm dunno about squeezing a 225 on a 7J rim..why?? That's standard fitment for the 15 x 7J rim fitted to the rear of Rev2 + cars so where is the problem??

Bob
I'm Going To Die Young...But When I'm Very Very Old!
rookie-racer

Post by rookie-racer »

sorry, dont mean to come across as if I am grilling you, but, how comfy and smooth is the ride on normal, bumpy, urban roads, you know the usual patches etc, compared to say rev one springs and shocks?
SwissHeavy

Post by SwissHeavy »

I have the following set up:

KYB AGX Adjustable Inserts
Eibach Pro Kit Springs
H&T Prothane bushes.

The set up makes the car outstanding to handle and a little more predictive about when it's going to snap: Rev1 set up is a pain.

But the ride is quite harsh indeed - but then the roads where I live are absolutely aweful. On normal roads - it's a dream.

Josh
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Current set up...

Tein Flex Coilovers & top mounts / separate springs for track/road - drag, EDFC control
TRD Anti roll bars front & rear
Cusco OS strut braces
Cusco adjustable pillow-ball tension rods
H&T polly bushes
Border 6 point cage

To date i've not driven a better handling MR2 :)

Mikejc
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Just been reading this thread n thought i'd put my own bit in as i have a v. similar beasty.
Change your set up bit by bit or you wont know what effect each thing is having...
My car was lowered first (30mm) as I felt my lack of confidence in it was not down to grip levels but handling issues, the fact that it rolled too much for me to be able to judge that grip, hence my lack of confidence, hence the lowering. With less roll I feel I can hudge what its doing better. Ride is a bit harsher and noisier so drop links next as theres def. play both sides, but the standard shocks seem fine, brakes likewise.
Your prob sounds more wheel/tyre and geometry than suspension. What offset are the fronts? If too far out they could effect the steerings self centering, most evident at speed. MR2s are sensitive to their geometry.
By the way the reason the tyre place wouldn't put the 225s on is that they didn't want to kill you. A 225/50 will go on a 6-7.5x15 inch rim but a 225/40 needs a 7.5-9x17 inch rim...it's all about the tyre wall shape.
Good luck. R
terribleone

Post by terribleone »

My current set up is:

Koni SSK adjustable inserts
Eibach Sportline -40mm springs
TRD ARBs
sBits droplinks
High & tight bushes throughout
Cusco strut braces

The Eibach springs are awesome for every day road use...not too hard over the small bumps but really stiff under load in corners. Plus the Konis offer adjustability to stiffen everything up for track or hard road use.

My car got a lot stiffer with the addition of the strut braces, and the only thing that's annoying me at the mo is the rattly droplinks. My car's eating them at the mo, but I get warrantied replacements.

I'd definitely recommend this setup for road use and occasional track use from my personal experience.
| REV3 G-LIMITED ANNIVERSARY EDITION | APEXI IN | MONGOOSE OUT | EIBACH SPORTLINES | CUSCO BRACES | H&T BUSHES | SUBTLE KIT! |
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated, im going to put my stock alloys/tyres on to see if that makes any difference, if not then ill put my 17s back on and get a 4 wheel alignment done.

If i still dont get any joy then im going to blits the suspension and bushes.

It seems there isn't much difference between buying the yellow Bilstens with new top mounts and eibach springs, and the Teins with the top mounts included, so still need to think about that one.

Just out of interest Mikejc, did you have to get custom droplinks for your teins?

Return to “Modifications”