Been pulled by VOSA :( not good

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Hurstie1981

Re: Been pulled by VOSA :( not good

Post by Hurstie1981 »

[quote="SwissHeavyThe UK sucks! ](*,)[/quote]

yep!
nuttasie

Post by nuttasie »

What a load off b@llocks,this country is really starting to do my head in know ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) .
speed cameras everywhere(even on roads where no accidents)

stupid laws like this noise issue

sooon u won't be able to take a SH!T without a piece of signed paper saying it is OK.

Getting back to the zorst issue.

If they say can not be no louder than on std vehicle.
How does it work with KITCARS as they don't even exist as STD and have u ever heard a cobra on throttle or viper etc(THEY ARE LOUD) :shock: :shock: .

SIE
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

Do you have the removable bung for the ?BUR? Maybe pop that in and go off to the MOT place like that?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Bad luck, though i do agree with the window tint issue and to some extent with the exhaust noise too.

Trouble is if there is not a defined limit on your exhaust then how can they say its too loud etc?

Tbh i really wish there was some strict guidelines as to how loud an exhaust can be for the public road, much like there is for trackdays.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Pete J

Post by Pete J »

Just for info on the hand brake, The Toyota specification is 5-8 click to engage. So is the inspector thinks it should be a couple of clicks, dont worry about it.

A NUR baffle would sort it surely? If kept in the boot of course O:)
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

Maybe you just learned a lesson here...

If you drive around with tinted windows then you are going to attract the attention of the police. Deeply tinted windows are dangerous even if just fitted to the side windows. Especially this time of year. I bet a fair few people will die on the roads this week during the rush hour if we get a wet night. Just because the clocks went back and suddenly people will be driving home from work in the dark. Maybe for the first time ever.

I'd guess some of them will be car drivers, some pedestrians and some will be cyclists.

The cops have to mop up the mess so they probably get pi$$ed off by drivers of cars with tinted windows.

Personally I think loud exhausts are fine as long as the driver drives sensibly in built up areas. I'm convinced that part of the reason I survived many reckless years on a motorbike was that I had seriously loud exhausts. Car drivers heard me coming before they even looked!

I'd be tempted to baffle the exhaust as already suggested. IMO most cops aren't really that bothered about your exhaust as long as no one complains and you drive sensibly. Failing that, just run a stock exhaust for a few months.
algie

Post by algie »

nuttasie wrote:What a load off b@llocks,this country is really starting to do my head in know ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) .
speed cameras everywhere(even on roads where no accidents)

stupid laws like this noise issue

sooon u won't be able to take a SH!T without a piece of signed paper saying it is OK.

They are all playing the same game. If VOSA set up a roadside inspection and didn't catch anyone with anything wrong with their car magine what their boss would say when they got back?

They would all be worried for their jobs so they have to catch some people for whatever reason they can just to justify their existance.

Goes for traffic wardens, litter wardens, recycling refuse collectors and everyone who is now able to fine you.

As for the exhaust. I'd take it all the way. Letters of complaint to the VOSA bigwig, write to MP, etc, etc.
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

Cheers for the support folks =D>

Tbh i really dont know what to do at the moment.... i really dont want to sell the Nur but at the same time i dont want the hassle that gos with it.... i dont want a standard one either as the look a bit poo.... I really dunno?

The tints i understand... it's just one of those things you run the risk with.... the main thing is the exhaust... do i bung a baffle in and leave it at that... but what happens if it fails with the bung in? There saying an aftermarket exhaust cant be any louder than a standard one... I dont even think mine is that loud.

You know something... I never cause any trouble i try to be friendly with everyone, i have a laugh and try to enjoy my life... Ive never robbed anyone, never broke into a car, never cause trouble and yet i still seem to get shafted when all the trouble makers get a slap on the wrist.... apparently if i dont get this sorted within 9 days i'll get prosocueted!! I mean ffs do they realise how long it takes to order parts in?

I might just turn into a chav..... got no job, live of the state, rob, be a general lout and just cause as much trouble as possible.... i might get treated better this way.... I mean come on they'd probably lock me up with the murderers for having a blitz nurspec & tints :roll:

I'm sure i'll laugh about this in a few days but at the moment they've properly ground me down. :cry:

Thanks to imoc members though for your support =D> much appreciated
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

I'm not the law, but surely you will be OK if you fit a baffle.

Sanity has to prevail here, (unless that copper thinks everyone has a calibrated sensor at home that knows how loud a stock exhaust is)

As long as you make an effort to make the car quieter then I don't see the problem.

However, if it really is as formal as it sounds (9 days to 'comply' else you get RoboCopped) then you will have to fit a stock exhaust for a while to get you off the hook.

BTW didn't some modded car owners up north get threatened with the crusher if they repeat offended with tinted windows? I think it was somewhere like Manchester.
nitric4k

Post by nitric4k »

stop ya moaning, get a baffel tidy yer windows up cause there only half sorted ya got get glue off yet.

handbrakes a 20 minute job tomorrow afternoon its pretty easy do tbh m8 even i could do it.

your running around in a semi lagit car while im driving around in my half put together wire tied up mr2 so than yerself lucky ya car isnt like this....

steve b

Post by steve b »

Spittinflames wrote: i dont want the hassle that gos with it.... i dont want a standard one either as the look a bit poo.... I really dunno?

There saying an aftermarket exhaust cant be any louder than a standard one... I dont even think mine is that loud.

You could sell the NUR and get hayward & scott to build you a quiet big pipe through exhaust. It is a myth that free flow = loud. My old 3" through pipe at idle was the same as stock, it was louder with open throttle but a far more acceptable 92dB at 4000rpm i.e. it would never attract unwanted attention. NURs are loud i believe someone had theirs checked and disallowed at a trackday as with a decat it read 108dB, with decat removed CAT back in it went to 102dB still outside many trackday regs.
[SiG]

Post by [SiG] »

Hey dude, am guessing this is in Cobridge yeah? Saw them today, always seem to see em first coming from the lights and I make a right up sneyd Street avoiding them :D

Damn shame though dude, but chin up you'll be ok with a bit of jiggery pokery ;)
Jaik

Post by Jaik »

Ack, the bad luck keeps rolling in for you doesn't it :( I'm assuming VOSA have a note on their system now to not pass your car with the Nur spec fitted or something? MOTs were much easier when they weren't centrally computerised.
mr2daz

Post by mr2daz »

Spittinflames wrote:Was on my way home from work when i get waved in by a police officer to have my vechile inspected..... They took the p1$$ to say the least.

They've made me rip my window tints off there and then, the've told me i've got to take the nur spec off because its to loud even with the cat on and my hand brakes crap even though i paid to have it done for the mot one month ago..... I've now got to take the car for a re test with a standard exhaust on as the mot place have said even though the past it first time they will now fail it..... I also got done on sunday for having a number plate in the windscreen.... the ironic thing is the turn in to the garage where i was going to have my producer stamped for the plate was where the VOSA van was..... I'm serioulsy pi$$ed off, i think its time to sell the 2 cause i just simply cant have what i want on it..... This country sucks big time..... One very pi$$ed off me.....

Is there a noise limit on exhaust at all, because he just said its to loud, never measured it or anything, grumpy old ba$tard.... god im fuming :evil:

Sounds like you had a real crap experience, sorry to hear about it. :(

As other people have said, there appears to be no current regulations regarding exhaust noise limits. None that I can find anyway. Maybe i'm missing something but to my mind even the window tinting issue is not set in stone; or so it appears:

a vehicle's windows were excessively tinted by the use of stick-on film or a spray, there may be a contravention of C&U# Regulation 30. This requires that all glass or other materials fitted must be maintained in such a condition that it does not obscure the vision of the driver. Again, it does not specifically prohibit those windows from having a tinted film applied, but doing so could be interpreted as contravening the Regulation.

'there may be a contravention' :?:
'could be interpreted' :?:

So what is the law exactly?? Are we supposed to assume it's ok until told otherwise? What a complete load of b0ll0x.

I hope the same sort of wording doesn't apply to real crimes like murder or robbery. ie. Producing of a handgun and waving it in the cashiers face whilst asking to fill the sack with the loot could be interpreted as contravening the regulation... ](*,)
“There’s class warfare all right, but it’s my class, the rich class that’s making war, and we’re winning.” Warren Buffett
Harry

enjoy two's...in my opinion below

Post by Harry »

Green house gas this melting poles that blah blah what ever the planet
does the planet does or will do with or with out us meantime the bullshitters get on the band wagon to further control manipulate tax and
basically take full advantage of peoples good nature you onlly live once this is the celerbration so in this ear and out the other for me. :cheers:

The pillars of turnips. :lol:

3.5 BILLION TOO MANY PEOPLE YES and that's about it really the globe does what the planet does volcano's forest fires and other natural occurances produce a lot more carbon than any thing else the weather
patterns are cycles ice age melting poles it has been going on for ever
period no matter what any one does or can not do no one is greater than
nature or the sum of it's parts.

For now enjoy the two's \:D/
Leon.

Re: enjoy two's...in my opinion below

Post by Leon. »

Harry wrote:the weather patterns are cycles ice age melting poles it has been going on for ever period no matter what any one does or can not do no one is greater than nature or the sum of it's parts.

For now enjoy the two's \:D/

Spot on Harry mate, always good to get things in perspective =D>

8)
steve

Post by steve »

Bry wrote:Strangely enough there's a VOSA road side check been set up just up the road from my house today,after what they've told you I think I'll steer well clear,as my car aint got a hope in hell of getting by without being stopped.Just borrow a standard exhaust, get it inspected then whack the Nur spec back on,don't let them beat you mate :twisted:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

where abouts mate?

i'll have to steer clear of them :whistle: 8-[ :-$
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Post by Bobby (aka Shaggar) »

Sorry to hear your troubles mate.

there wasa similar thread elsewhere about these VOSA stops. My overall thoughts are that theyre a good thing if chavvy no MOT, uninsured, untaxed vehicles are caught and make the road a safer adn fairer place.

But this stuff is a bit silly. Like mentioned, they always like to find 'something'' wrong with the cars otherwise theyre not good at their job if you know what i mean.

It sounds like youve been stung but just work around things and then get on with life. If you havent noticed alreayd mate, this getting rounds brickwalls thing is everywhere whether it be shops, councils, banks etc etc. I myselfgot pulled, they noted something about the brakes, they thought they were too spongy, took it too the MOT station, checked and fine. No problem ,simple..

For all the hassle theyre causing, Id like to think theyve also managed to catch some illegal immigrants, uninsured drivers, stolen cars, etc etc etc. Just take a deep breath and move on with thing buddy.

Saying allthgouh, I driver infront of, behind , next to, past and opposite cop cars all the time both accelerating, idling and cruising and my zorst makes your ears ring and seep blood. Never EVER been remarked upon. When i just had a new w/screen in and the plate was on the dash, the cops mentioned it, said sort it asap and left. Big deal! .....and now I've got the plate inside the w/screen at teh top and despite driving past coppers and seeing them look at it, noone hasstopped me.

Tip: move to London! :mrgreen:

Chin up mate,

Bobby
blue2

Post by blue2 »

What a b!tch of a story! Bad luck getting pulled, sounds like the bloke was just bored and bieng petty. No reason to sell your 2 though as people have said swap it over to get the ticket stamped.
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

SB wrote:OK, I stand corrected, just found this "Rejection Reason" in the VOSA guidelines...

A silencer that is in such a condition or is of such a type that the noise emitted is clearly in excess of that which would be produced by a similar machine fitted with a standard silencer in average condition.

Stupid :roll:

Was the same here till a while ago. Any non standard OEM exhaust that could be deemed 'significantly louder than standard' the car could be ordered off the road until it was repaired/replaced.

The exhaust/car industry got on the Governments back and now we have a set limit for modified exhausts which is 95db @ 0.5 metres at a set RPM point, a turbo mr2 would be checked at 4000rpm, whereas a V8 would be checked at 3000rpm, and a vtec/mivec whatever would be checked at 4800rpm and so on. Mid engined cars get a 4db extra allowance due to their short exhaust pipework, and if your car is a regular motorsport attendee with an authority card and log book you can have another 2db on top. There is no limit for OEM vehicles.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”