Rear speakers in MK 1 MR2

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

S A Watt

Rear speakers in MK 1 MR2

Post by S A Watt »

8) I am looking to improve the sound system in my MK 1 as we know the standard speakers are a bit tinny but seem difficult to improve. I have fitted Sony's in the front and rear spaces provided but can't get a decent sound because they only hold 8 cm speakers. I don't want the volume but it would be nice to be able to use even a small amount of the bass control.

I was thinking of fitting a set of 6x9 speakers and mounting them either on the floor behind the seats or on back panel behind seats. I thought I could use spacers to mount them.

I have also seen in the past an advert for someone who makes boxes to fit at the rear but I can't remember where.

Can anyone help me with who makes boxes or suggest a better way to improve the sound (when the engine is not enough) or to mount speaker.

How have you all done it?
IanClements

Re: Rear speakers in MK 1 MR2

Post by IanClements »

I went for a speaker platform. Just cut to size and paint, use rubber pads built to correct height (trial and error) and velcro the speaker to it. I ran a wire from the existing speaker connection down to the floor with a socket so I can unplug these and put the originals back on instantly (why???).

Don't bother the 8cm rubbish, you'll never get a good enough sound out of them.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

I`m not up on the ICE side of things but i know a guy, Nigel,who makes a great box that fits in the space taken by the rear cubby box. its neat and looks as if it belongs. i will pm his email.
jimi

Post by jimi »

S A Watt wrote:8) I am looking to improve the sound system in my MK 1

I was thinking of fitting a set of 6x9 speakers and mounting them either on the floor behind the seats or on back panel behind seats. I thought I could use spacers to mount them.

Don't fit 6x9's then :pukel:

I've got 5.5" bass/mid speakers in boxes behind the seats, fills out the sound nicely with nice tight bass

Jimi

T-bars still strap in ok and I've lost very little seat travel.

Last edited by jimi on Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Jimi, i love those boxes youve made, will 6x9's fit in them too ?? ive got 6 x9's behind my headrests & alway wondered if you lose some of the sound when theyre burried at the bottom of the seat ? , Nigel's ( Russd1) box is extreamely well made too & is in keeping with the car, if he see's this post he may well posta picture for you to see. Jinxy
firstmk1

Post by firstmk1 »

I've a pair of door cards in the garage that are modified to take 6x9 speakers. I'll try to get some pics posted tomorrow.
S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

jimi wrote:
S A Watt wrote:8) I am looking to improve the sound system in my MK 1

Don't fit 6x9's then :pukel:

I've got 5.5" bass/mid speakers in boxes behind the seats, fills out the sound nicely with nice tight bass

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jimilawson/V ... es%202.jpg

Jimi

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jimilawson/V ... es%203.jpg

T-bars still strap in ok and I've lost very little seat travel.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jimilawson/V ... es%204.jpg

the boxes look fine and this was my original idea. did you make them yourself.
S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

firstmk1 wrote:I've a pair of door cards in the garage that are modified to take 6x9 speakers. I'll try to get some pics posted tomorrow.

that would be good thanks
S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:Jimi, i love those boxes youve made, will 6x9's fit in them too ?? ive got 6 x9's behind my headrests & alway wondered if you lose some of the sound when theyre burried at the bottom of the seat ? , Nigel's ( Russd1) box is extreamely well made too & is in keeping with the car, if he see's this post he may well posta picture for you to see. Jinxy

I think these look well too. i still think a set of 6x9s would fit in well though
reanimation

Post by reanimation »

firstmk1 wrote:I've a pair of door cards in the garage that are modified to take 6x9 speakers. I'll try to get some pics posted tomorrow.

Now these i could be interested in. missing ma music man! :lol:
Retro

Post by Retro »

If you want real bass response you need a decent sized sub woofer. I made a fibreglass and mdf box that houses a 10" sub in the passenger footwell and it sounds great, produceing really deep bass, I'd recommend doing something similar or making an mdf one to fit behind the seat.
jimi

Post by jimi »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:Jimi, i love those boxes youve made, will 6x9's fit in them too ?? ive got 6 x9's behind my headrests & alway wondered if you lose some of the sound when theyre burried at the bottom of the seat ? , Nigel's ( Russd1) box is extreamely well made too & is in keeping with the car, if he see's this post he may well post a picture for you to see. Jinxy

You might have gathered from my last post that I don't have a very high opinion of 6x9's :pukel: so I wouldn't like to say, I do know that most 6x9's are designed for infinite baffle enclosures (usually the rear parcel shelf using the boot as the enclosure) and don't perform very well in small sealed enclosures like mine. My boxes were designed to have the correct volume for the speakers I'm using ( about 0.3 cu ft IIRC)
From an audio point of view having 2 or 3 way speakers behind you just ruins the sound stage. My rear speakers are set up for bass and the bottom end of mid range only, since the lower frequencies are non directional and less affected by obstructions, it doesn't matter that they are behind the seats. This leaves the fronts to set the soundstage. I've got Infinity 2 ways in the front set up to deal with the rest of the midrange and the high frequencies and they do a fine job ( even the Kenwood 2-ways I had before were OK with this setup ) this is of course only my opinion, sound quality is a very subjective thing, what sounds good to me may be pooh to you. :)
Jimi
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Ever thought on knocking a few up Jimbo & flogging them ??? :mrgreen: [-o< Jinx
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:Ever thought on knocking a few up Jimbo & flogging them ??? :mrgreen: [-o< Jinx

some appeared like in on the bay in summer not sure whose they were or how well they sold, the layest ones on there are the replacement centre console ones.

some 6*9 door cards also appeared on the bay not lon ago, but they had so much wood to fit the speakers they must have weighed a ton!!
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

S A Watt wrote:8) I am looking to improve the sound system in my MK 1 as we know the standard speakers are a bit tinny but seem difficult to improve. I have fitted Sony's in the front and rear spaces provided but can't get a decent sound because they only hold 8 cm speakers.

They actually fit 10 cm speakers, you have to snap 2 lugs off to screw in. no probs.

also rear speakers are 3 1/2" - people find infinity ones fit the best in the rear where they come std in tbar models

also thing about a sub or bass tube behind the seat. this is ace in my car, with uprated standard size speakers in the normal places.

It gets too loud to stay in the car :shock:
jimi

Post by jimi »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:Ever thought on knocking a few up Jimbo & flogging them ??? :mrgreen: [-o< Jinx

Haven't got he time Tony, what with existing and new projects :wink:
They are not difficult to make and the basic dimensions are on my website for anyone who's interested.
Jimi
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour
jimi

Post by jimi »

:oops: Just checked seem to have lost them on my website :oops:
here you go
Last edited by jimi on Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
reanimation

Post by reanimation »

mr2mk1chick wrote:

They actually fit 10 cm speakers, you have to snap 2 lugs off to screw in. no probs.

also rear speakers are 3 1/2" - people find infinity ones fit the best in the rear where they come std in tbar models

also thing about a sub or bass tube behind the seat. this is ace in my car, with uprated standard size speakers in the normal places.

This sounds ideal, just the speakers would be an improvement. I was having a play in halfrauds a few weeks back. I think it was Alpines that sounded good, will have to go back looking at 10's and put em on me xmas list!!! ;)
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

reanimation wrote: I was having a play in halfrauds a few weeks back. I think it was Alpines that sounded good, will have to go back looking at 10's and put em on me xmas list!!! ;)

I went for the 10cm pioneers from halfauds ~£35 i think, so not bad at all

The best thing is the self-amplified bass tube -it transforms the system :mrgreen:
Daniel Yeoman

Post by Daniel Yeoman »

reanimation wrote:
mr2mk1chick wrote:

This sounds ideal, just the speakers would be an improvement. I was having a play in halfrauds a few weeks back. I think it was Alpines that sounded good, will have to go back looking at 10's and put em on me xmas list!!! ;)

Yeah, did the same thing.
I found for the best sound and bass, i went for the Fusion speakers. They are a super tight fit because of the huge magnet on the back but with a bit of fiddeling around its definitly worth it.
I wanted some more deep crisp bass so i made a mdf sub box and installed it behind the passenger seat. Im a pretty big guy and need my seat all the way back for driving so 6x9 in a box wasnt really an option. To keep the box narrow, so i didnt have to move the passenger seat far forward, i used a slim line 10" pioneer sub. They only need an enclosure of 3 cubic feet. Sounds great and not too over the top.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”