New and different mods

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

as8133

New and different mods

Post by as8133 »

I realise that the mk1 is more of a purists car than the mk2 but i was wondering if anyone has done any interesting and different mods to their mk1. I have changed the colour of the back panel to match body, lights are clear not orange and the inside is sprayed white (tastefully) to match the exterior, new number plates and pinstriping removed. All mods to make the car look cleaner whilst maintaining that 80s look. Running out of ideas...
snailslime

Re: New and different mods

Post by snailslime »

You could do the plumley spoiler mod. I'm currently making one of these myself.
Here's a link to the thread --> http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49198

On there is a link to a write up someone has done for carrying out the modification. :D
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

There is the obvious modifications which are the Karmeleon bodykits and the SW20 Turbo engine conversion, but otherwise as a general rule most people do keep their AW11s looking standard. If you want to take it further in a tasteful manner I recommend that you check out the Eurosport bodykit, I for one think it makes the car look a lot better, but realise its horses for courses. At the end of the day, its your car anyway so you have to be happy with it, it doesn't really matter what other people think - though if you put in Berburry seats we will have to lynch you! :wink:
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Lots of different bodykits for the Mk1 on this site :thumleft: :

http://www.mr2supercharger.com/Bodykits.html
as8133

Post by as8133 »

Probably won't go for bodykit as will try to keep it relatively original. Prefer subtle mods that when they add up really make a difference to the overall look and appeal of the car. Like the ldea of hollowing out the side vent and meshing tho.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

I've not seen the side vent done but I have meshed over the air dam at the front. It's mainly as a protective measure for the radiator and considering the number of times I've had to bend it back into shape it's fulfilling it's function. 8)

This is Ian's (Grendel), mine's the same but the number plate's in the Alpha Romeo position and there's no black plastic trim.

greglebon

Post by greglebon »

Done a few bits to the back end of mine..... :D

as8133

Post by as8133 »

Not so sure about the light conversion as i think i will go for the jimi style conversion at some point but do like the engine lid, was this something you fabricated yourself or is there somewhere to buy them?
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/garage.php ... cle&CID=16

I've got a one off engine lid in there somewhere, not sure if it shows in those photos...
T
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

Engine lid was fabbed from alu sheets, using a severely butchered NA lid as a framework.....

Makes a big improvement in airflow through the engine bay...

I did once (well, for a weekend, anyway..!), fit a high-level LED brake light inside the vent!

When I braked, it glowed like a jet engine... :D 8)

Lights are LED / Carbon fibre, made out of old rear light carcasses (to ensure a perfect fit!0
kghaas

different mods

Post by kghaas »

I am currently doing a DIY body kit, including a roofscoop, Plumley + GT3 rear wing, Calton front, 5cm extentions on sidskirts etc. Total cost for the kit should be £100 max.

You can see pics of the progress on the Norwegian Toyota club. All text is norwegian, but you should get the general idea from the pictures

Feel free to comment.

http://www.ts-ogn.no/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16993
snail

Re: different mods

Post by snail »

kghaas wrote:I am currently doing a DIY body kit, including a roofscoop, Plumley + GT3 rear wing, Calton front, 5cm extentions on sidskirts etc. Total cost for the kit should be £100 max.

You can see pics of the progress on the Norwegian Toyota club. All text is norwegian, but you should get the general idea from the pictures

Feel free to comment.

http://www.ts-ogn.no/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16993

Great work there kghaas =D> :mrgreen:

So is that a vauxhall carlton front bodykit on there? looks great, wouldn't mind one myself :D
kghaas

Post by kghaas »

It is a Calton front from a 90-93, allthough it is called a Opel Omega in Norway. It is a fairly easy to got on there, but as you can see my fit is horrible. It will however be nice, once I get around to it.
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

my fave mod at the mo, is my custom spoiler.
different from plumley one, as it is higher and starts flush with the lid edge rather than moved back, but sticks out the the rear flush with the lower bumper.
I also did number plate surround, and coloured back panel

firstmk1

Post by firstmk1 »

I've not really done anything to the exterior but here are a few changes I've made in other areas....

Carbon Pro2000 seat

Throttle bodies and interesting cams

280mm discs with mk2 turbo calipers aka Woodsport Rear Brake Upgrade
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

firstmk1 wrote:I've not really done anything to the exterior but here are a few changes I've made in other areas....

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://wil4sons.bulldoghome.com/photos/ ... ngine2.jpg

ooh... am liking those throttle bodies :mrgreen:
firstmk1

Post by firstmk1 »

Here's a pic mid installation with a better view of them

HT

Post by HT »

firstmk1 wrote:I've not really done anything to the exterior but here are a few changes I've made in other areas....

Carbon Pro2000 seat

280mm discs with mk2 turbo calipers aka Woodsport Rear Brake Upgrade

Ian - what did it run like on throttle bodies?? Also what are those wheels off?
firstmk1

Post by firstmk1 »

The wheels are Masitaly VT5 (I think) bought them a while back in a clearance sale so they came without centres. I found some that fitted on eBay and stuck the Toyota badge on.

The throttle bodies are great if you like the noise. I'm having to rebuild the engine at the moment but when it's back together the ECU needs mapping as the power dropped off at 6500rpm and the it was running rich to the tune of 18mpg! From my experience I'd say they are a very good match for the cams and give good mid range and not just top end.
My MR2 is my daily transport and it was just fine for driving in traffic.

I have a few other items to add during the rebuild so it'll be even better when it returns. :D
kghaas

Post by kghaas »

Mk1Mr2 chick,

I realy like the rear spoiler. Do you have any sideviews?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”