japan v uk models

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

steveaddy

japan v uk models

Post by steveaddy »

hi does anyone know if there is any differance between uk mr2`s and japan mr2`s i.e brakehorse power,top speed etc,as my mate has bought a uk mr2 gti t-bar on a k plate and i have a mk2 mr2 g-limited import on a g plate.we both wondered if the japan mr2 was faster or if they was any differance cos his is a t-bar or any other changes from the uk model,both are standard and had no mods.
thanks steve
craig

Re: japan v uk models

Post by craig »

both your cars will be the 158 bhp 3SGE, only diffs will be he'll have air con, maybe steering fogs etc.

The engines themselves are the same power etc.
steveaddy

Post by steveaddy »

ok thanks
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

best way to tell is floor it with him behind you and se if he can keep up, or side by side :twisted:

BUT, only if it safe to do so, and of course never go over the speed limit O:) :^o :lol:

RedMR2's right :wink:

:tongue:
steveaddy

Post by steveaddy »

ha! diffcult to do that without other traffic in the way,i told him mine is faster cos i can fold my electric wing mirrors in and it make it more streamlined ha!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Jap MR2's are mapped for a higher RON fuel rating, whereas UK's are 95. If you put regular unleaded in a Jap import I think you will be down on power.

Other than that, apart from a few toys, they are essentially identical.

But remember....less toys = less weight so UK's win :D But I would say that, wouldn't I :D
Troubled

Post by Troubled »

[quote="Rob"]Jap MR2's are mapped for a higher RON fuel rating, whereas UK's are 95.

[/quote]

Oh blimey
:roll:

yeah cos Toyota map all their cars, it's not like they put in a Standard ECU worldwide that can cope/ adjust timing etc etc for different RON's, ambient temps & conditions - that would just be silly. =;

Each car is mapped individually - the ECU on every Jap motor is made of special Japanese wonder dust and mapped for 102 ron fuel that when you import and stick in 95RON starts a countdown and will self destruct T-minus 15 mins.

:tumbleweed:
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

That's true, UK cars will also have a self-adjusting ECU so it should also be able to gain from higher RON fuel. Probably no real difference although as said, jap models tend to be heavier. Mine is a rather hefty 1340kg.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Troubled

Nice tactful response there mate - cheers.

Im just going by what I have heard since being on these forums for 5 years.

Why is it that all the people owning Turbo's here running Shell V-power on here say it makes a big difference to performance?.....Because its a higher RON and guess where all Turbos come from?.....Japan.
Troubled

Post by Troubled »

Doesn't matter if your 2 is originally from Japan, UK, US, Cambodia, the Nile Delta or even the moon.. they all have the same flipping generic ECU for that particular model #-o

you will not get more a more powerful MR2 by importing a Jap model.. come on guys think about it :eye:

:tumbleweed:
Troubled

Post by Troubled »

[quote="Rob"]Troubled

Nice tactful response there mate - cheers.
.[/quote]
It's called sarcasm - don't worry your pretty little head about it 8)

[quote="Rob"]
Why is it that all the people owning Turbo's here running Shell V-power on here say it makes a big difference to performance?.....Because its a higher RON and guess where all Turbos come from?.....Japan.[/quote]

there is nothing magical about Jap cars... ](*,) they do not have some wonder ECU.
people are getting better performance out of their tubby's cos the ECU can USE the higher octane fuel, or rather it doesn't pull timing/ignition as when run on lower "uk" RON fuels.

The original post was about the 3SGE engined car's anyway - and to that point there is Zero difference performance wise, engine wise or ECU wise year for year of release.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Troubled

This is exactly my point!

The Jap cars do not have a super ECU at all - not once did I say they have more power. However, their fuels are 100 ron based, so when they come over here, they have to use 95 ron, and so their timing is altered unless they run on some of our uprated fuels, which ultimately reduces a bit of their performance.

Why can I not use the discussions about Turbos? I know this is a 3SGE thread, but you said yourself in a general statement....

"they put in a Standard ECU worldwide that can cope/ adjust timing etc etc for different RON's"

Well, according to tubby owners who know their cars....

"the 3S-GTE was designed to run on 98 or 100 RON Jap unleaded"
(http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... hlight=ron)

Clearly there are some jap cars which are designed to run on higher octane fuels only.

I appreciate your sarcasm, but I would have thought it only polite to state facts rather than come on here taking the p1$$.

Im only saying what I have heard - so if you can prove me wrong, I will stand corrected.
Troubled

Post by Troubled »

Rob wrote:Jap MR2's are mapped for a higher RON fuel rating, whereas UK's are 95.

Rob - don't want an argument - but your above statement is wrong.
Uk cars are not mapped for a lower Octane rating fuel.

All MR2's have the same ECU model for model, no matter where sold.
"model for model - ie GE in Jap v's GE in UK"

This was what i was getting at.

Of course Tubbies are designed to use 100ron fuel - they were never released in the UK - but this Tubby use of information has got nothing to do with teh original question - so didn;t see the point in you using it that's all.

Of course your free to use it as an example - who said you couldn't - i just personally think it's confusing for the original question..... NA v's NA
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

Troubled wrote:
Rob wrote:Jap MR2's are mapped for a higher RON fuel rating, whereas UK's are 95.

Rob - don't want an argument - but your above statement is wrong.
Uk cars are not mapped for a lower Octane rating fuel.

All MR2's have the same ECU model for model, no matter where sold.
"model for model - ie GE in Jap v's GE in UK"

This was what i was getting at.

Well I've looked through the ROM code for the JDM 3SGTE ECU and also the 3SGTE sold in the US.

The ECUs look the same inside but the maps are definitely different for both the fuelling and the ignition.

I haven't looked at the ROM for a JDM NA mk2 MR2 ECU but I would expect it to be different to the UK car.

Also, the UK mk1 MR2 NA ECUs have two sets of maps in them. One set is locked out permanently with a wire jumper link inside the ECU. I assume the hidden maps get used in another country?

These hidden (and locked out) maps are present in all flavours of 4A-GE ECU in the UK eg AE86, AW11 across 1985 to 1989 so they are not there by accident.

Don't the JDM cars have a speed limiter in the ECU at 180kph? That's something the UK cars don't have for a start... (So the UK ECUs are 'faster' :wink: )

BTW Where are you getting your information about the MR2 ECUs from?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Troubled - Im not after an argument either, sorry if it came across that way. The way you wrote your initial reply just wound me up. I was having a bad DIY day!!!

It was only ever my opinion - and as I said, feel free to prove me wrong with evidence and I will gladly admit that what I have been led to believe over the years was wrong.

However, judging by JMR_AW11's reply, it looks like I am right when I say that JDM cars are indeed set up differently.

Thanks for posting up JMR_AW11 - this is the sort of evidence we need, rather than just hear-say =D>
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy »

jap and UK roms are different.

The NAs dont have knock sensors, no way of on the fly knock detection to advance retard, JDM climate , fuel etc different - different map.
Will drive better - IE proper if used with 99 type fuel, if used with 95 fuel you will be getting less performance than the equlivant UK car on a UK map
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

Hellboy wrote:jap and UK roms are different.

The NAs dont have knock sensors, no way of on the fly knock detection to advance retard, JDM climate , fuel etc different - different map.
Will drive better - IE proper if used with 99 type fuel, if used with 95 fuel you will be getting less performance than the equlivant UK car on a UK map

Are you sure the UK NA 3SG mk2s don't have a knock sensor?

I have an ECU I bought off ebay

89661-17370 mk2 MR2 UK NA 3SG M/T (alledgedly!)

Now this ECU does have a knock sensor MCU fitted.
It also has a KNK pin on the ECU connector block.

So is this a UK mk2 MR2 ECU or have I been sold a pup again on ebay? :)

I'm about to fit one of my datalogger boards to it so it would be nice to know if it really is a UK ECU.

A quick search on google possibly links this ECU to Germany as well.
steveaddy

Post by steveaddy »

ha! wish i hadnt posted that thread now looks like ive started a few arguments :?
si2040

Post by si2040 »

The diff are the following

1)Retract mirrors
2)Steering Fogs
3)Brake light on spoiler
4)Air Con
5)ECU mod (maybe)
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

si2040 wrote:The diff are the following

1)Retract mirrors
2)Steering Fogs
3)Brake light on spoiler
4)Air Con
5)ECU mod (maybe)

1)Retract mirrors (not all JDM)
2)Steering Fogs (not all JDM)
3)Brake light on spoiler (do you mean the brake light at top of rear window?)
4)Air Con (Climate control to be precise)
5)ECU mod (maybe)
6)UK electronic headlight height adjustment
7)UK Dash brightness control
8)UK Rear foglights
9)Side repeater/tolberones on revs1-3
10)JDM Passenger airbag (from rev4+ ?)

It's a big list that could go on & on :mrgreen:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”