Window tinting? Forget it!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR22

Window tinting? Forget it!

Post by MR22 »

Recently purchased a Window Tinting Kit off eBay to treat my Mk2 to the 'Cool Look'. Subsequently spent a lot of time making up accurate paper patterns of the windows (The rear one alone is quite a challenge !) and was just about to start fitting the film when I clicked onto a number of internet links and discovered

www.totalcartint.co.uk/legal.htm

Apparently since January 1 2004 you have not been able to fit any worthwhile tinting film to the drivers or passenger windows of any car due to newly introduced legislation - You can in some circumstances fit clear Security Film but that's about it.

Now if you go onto eBay and put Window Tint into the Search Box, you'll come up with quite a number of suppliers, some of which look like back bedroom sellers, but there are undoubtedly a number of professional outfits too, with photos of various vehicles displaying Limo Black, Mirror Reflective, Dark Tint etc on ALL the windows, which is now completely illegal. They do not mention the fact in their descriptions so are probably just trying to clear mountains of bankrupt stock. Be warned before, like me, you spend your money, time and effort.

If you can imagine one of our cars with just the rear window and the 2 rear side windows filmed, I think it would look utterly ridiculous
nitric4k

Re: Window tinting? Forget it!

Post by nitric4k »

depends where you live... mine are done never been pulled for it...
been pulled for other things though... but never mentioned my windows just my speed...

nitric4k

Post by nitric4k »

just do the back limmo black then tint the front light smoke but dont buy off ebay that tints way too dark go ya local car shop buy it from there especially just the front light smoke as that allows 70% of light in
RedWitch

Post by RedWitch »

I have Limo tint at the rear & 1/4 lights and dark tint on the side windows....never had a problem. It all depends on the attitude you take when Plod pulls you [-X
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

thing is though, there is a reason why its illegal to heavily tint your side windows. Namely because your vision is severley impaired at night.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Caribbean_Blue

Post by Caribbean_Blue »

A friend of mine is a traffic copper I chatted to him about window tinting he said there is a simple test he has been know to do.

Get a paper or magazine hold it about 3-4" away from inside of window if you can't see the paper or mag chances are you can see out.
Running: 313.8BHP @ fly and 285lb torque on 1.15bar.
MY MR2 FOR SALE: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=109986
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

I remember reading an article not too long ago. It was entitled.......

"Only Ugly People Tint Their Car Windows"

Something to do with not wanting to be seen!?

Mike ducks and runs for cover! :P :lol: :wink: :clown:

Mikejc
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

my mate just got done for his tints, they used some sort of electric gadget to test it and his car failed the test. he asked them to do it on the meat wagon and if failed too! they said the window must be dirty :? =;
PeterJ219

Post by PeterJ219 »

I have some light grey tints on mine (they came already on the car) but im not sure whether to get rid of - I probably will.
What do you reckon?

Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

I have only the back window and rear side windows tinted, I did it deliberately as I think it looks quite good and means it is quite practical to see clearly when driving at night. Plus with the front windows down and the t bar out (how I drive mine most the time in the summer) you can’t see that the front windows are not tinted.
I think you would be surprised that its still looks quite nice with just the rear windows tinted. Mike
thai boxer

Post by thai boxer »

I've got limmo black all round (apart from the front of course) never been a problem with the old bill. You can always just switch your windows down if they pull you.... O:)
Pain is temporary, pride is forever.
GazMR2GTS

Post by GazMR2GTS »

Mikey P MR2 wrote:I have only the back window and rear side windows tinted, I did it deliberately as I think it looks quite good and means it is quite practical to see clearly when driving at night. Plus with the front windows down and the t bar out (how I drive mine most the time in the summer) you can’t see that the front windows are not tinted.
I think you would be surprised that its still looks quite nice with just the rear windows tinted. Mike

What he said =D>

I had limo black on the front of mine for all of a night, as it was winter and i had the window up and i couldnt see for anything, pulled out on a cyclist so decided they where coming off the next morning. Dangerous to my car and other road users!
So now i only have the quarter lights and the rear done. And the rear is pretty easy to do actually just time and pacience.
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Post by Bobby (aka Shaggar) »

I seem to remember hat tinted windows on the front side windows have to allow 70% light through , so you can have a mild tint/smoke. But also mate, are you these company's dont mention anyhting about this. Im almost sure if you look about the place, 'somewhere' there'll be the phrase, 'Not suitable for raod use' or 'show use only'.Its like a disclaimer forthem mate.

HTH

Bobby
philster_d

Post by philster_d »

My T-bar had the bronze tint all round, quite cool with the Steelmist blue/grey bodycolour
Turbo-G

Post by Turbo-G »

I wouldn't recommend buying DIY kits from ebay, they never look pro. Most tinting places will do an MR2 for about £150 so it hardly breaks the bank.

Just having the rear 3 windows tinted does look good imo - JDM stylee :P

However best option would be to just have light smoke on the front, and dark smoke or medium on the rear 3.

My car has the rear three windows tinted with the original Man in Dandism mirror tints, looks good imo and will stay on the car.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Lauren wrote:thing is though, there is a reason why its illegal to heavily tint your side windows. Namely because your vision is severley impaired at night.

My rear screen and rear 1/4's are competely limo black, I'm every so slightly short sighted and yet I can see out even on my mates drive at night that has no street lights.

I have no reverse lights either. I just pop the rear fogs on for a bit of light and it's clear as day.

I think it's fair enough though that you shouldnt have dark dark tints on the front but I think they go too far with the limits.
MK_Steve

Post by MK_Steve »

for those of you who said that the fronts can be tinted with a light smoke, take heed...

it is true that the fronts must allow 70% of light through, but this is how they come as standard. you cant tint them anymore above what they already are.

fimmo on the oc will be able to advise anyone - he tints for a living

steve
MR22

Post by MR22 »

Thanks for all the interest and opinions on Window Tinting. Seems to be pretty well evenly divided between those that will abide by the Law and those that have gone ahead and had it done and blow the consequencies.

My decision? The Film has been collected by my Local Refuse Operatives and good riddance I say :lol: , especially as once it reaches the end of its' life and has to be removed/replaced, it will almost certainly destroy the demister lines on the rear window, even when removed by a professional - It's not a job for us DIYers. Apparently the time taken to remove the old film can be as much as 2 hours depending on its' age.

Oh by the way, removal charge is currently £50 an hour if you remain undecided as to whether to go ahead !
ioa1980

Post by ioa1980 »

Had my previous car tinted all round.

The law says..

Rear side windows and rear window itself can be tinted any colour/shade.

Front side windows are only allowed 70% light through minimum. Any less than that and you ARE liable to a £30 on the spot fine, if they fail the test by the traffic police.

The police will fine you and write a ticket.
However, no points are put on your licence. They will suggest you remove the tint, as there is no limit to the amount of times you can be pulled over and fined.

I was pulled over three times in my old fiesta = £90 fines. :(

Just make sure that if your car is tested, that they test the front windscreen too. This acts as a 'control', similar to calibrating the equipment used.

IF you are thinking of tinting your car...get it done professionally.

I paid the price....
£300 to get the car tinted
£90 fines
....sold the car :(

..bought and MR2 Turbo \:D/ ....with no tints!!!

Chris.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

MR22 wrote:Recently purchased a Window Tinting Kit off eBay to treat my Mk2 to the 'Cool Look'. Subsequently spent a lot of time making up accurate paper patterns of the windows (The rear one alone is quite a challenge !) and was just about to start fitting the film when I clicked onto a number of internet links and discovered

www.totalcartint.co.uk/legal.htm

Apparently since January 1 2004 you have not been able to fit any worthwhile tinting film to the drivers or passenger windows of any car due to newly introduced legislation - You can in some circumstances fit clear Security Film but that's about it.

Now if you go onto eBay and put Window Tint into the Search Box, you'll come up with quite a number of suppliers, some of which look like back bedroom sellers, but there are undoubtedly a number of professional outfits too, with photos of various vehicles displaying Limo Black, Mirror Reflective, Dark Tint etc on ALL the windows, which is now completely illegal. They do not mention the fact in their descriptions so are probably just trying to clear mountains of bankrupt stock. Be warned before, like me, you spend your money, time and effort.

If you can imagine one of our cars with just the rear window and the 2 rear side windows filmed, I think it would look utterly ridiculous

Mine are limo on the rear 3 windows and light tinted on the front. Looks perfectly ok to me.

I have a few mates with black fronts that are clearly ilegal but have never been pulled let alone questioned.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”