what oil is best

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2 badboi3

what oil is best

Post by mr2 badboi3 »

hi all just a quick question about oil.iv been using castrol gtx magnatec in my mr2 na import but just wanted to ask if anyone could reccomend any other decent oil as im preparing to service the car.just want to make sure i put the best in possible really but i am told that fully synthetic would be no good for mine as its a none turbo.look forward to the results thanks all :)
JOHNM400

Re: what oil is best

Post by JOHNM400 »

just a decent brand 10w40 semi synthetic will do.Im not keen on Magnetec tbh but thats my personal preference. No point paying stupid prices for fully synthetic Mobil 1 or similar unless you plan to absolutely scream the hell out of your car everywhere. If it was a turbo then a more expensive fully synthetic oil would be required.
Urban Assault Vehicle

Post by Urban Assault Vehicle »

One of the affiliates on this site, Oilman (works for Opie Oils) recommends using Silkolene ProS 5w40, its a fully synthetic but pretty dear depending on your budget at £45. But it is regarded as one of the best.

At the end of the day think of all the moving parts in the engine, you'd want the best to keep it in good working order.
RedWitch

Post by RedWitch »

Urban Assault Vehicle wrote:One of the affiliates on this site, Oilman (works for Opie Oils) recommends using Silkolene ProS 5w40, its a fully synthetic but pretty dear depending on your budget at £45. But it is regarded as one of the best.

At the end of the day think of all the moving parts in the engine, you'd want the best to keep it in good working order.

Silkolene is manufactured by Fuchs.....

The Fuchs Supersyn Plus 5w-40 is around £35 for 4 litres

Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

I think a fully synth oil is overkill on an NA - without the massive heat generated by a turbo, even a revvy NA engine like the GE would be fine with a semi-synth oil.

I'm with John on Magnatec - heard too many rumours about it.

The upside of a fully synth over a semi synth oil is it can go far longer between changes.

hth

Ian
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

The extra heat generated by the turbo is the reason why you would opt for a 10w-50 as oppsed to 5w-40 for an NA.

Wear doesn't just take place when the engine is warm, also when cold. A good fully syn that is ester based will leave a nice layer of the lovely stuff all over your engine, all the time =P~

I believe fully syn is still valuable on an NA. I fully agree with urban assault vehicle. What everyone seems to overlook is that your fully syn ester based will last you twice as long as your semi or crap fully syn and so the best oil will be cheaper after 2 changes! Not to mention oil is the most important ingredient in your engine.

I have personally used Mobil 1 and then used Silkolene afterwards. When I changed the Mobil 1 after 3k miles with Silkolene, I felt the usual amazing difference and smotthness you get with a new oil change. When I then renewed the Silkolene with more Silkolene after 5k, there was no change felt. This just shows how much better it is - that it hadn't deteriorated at all, and I probably could have left it in for another 2k miles...
Urban Assault Vehicle

Post by Urban Assault Vehicle »

RedWitch wrote:
Silkolene is manufactured by Fuchs.....

The Fuchs Supersyn Plus 5w-40 is around £35 for 4 litres

I remember you telling me this a while back when I asked a similar question. I took the liberty of asking Oilman what was the difference between the Fuchs and the Silkolene and this was the result:

Oilman wrote:
FUchs own Silkolene, the Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL 5w-40 is a true pao synthetic (similar to Mobil 1) and very good quality, however it has been made to a bunch of specs to which it only as good as the specs it meets, for the Supersyn these specs are quite high thus good quality... the Pro S is a different animal, it is a pao/ester blend and was designed from the top down, pretty much like "how good can we make an oil" and Pro s is the result, designed to be the best, regardless of specs.

Hope this helps.

:D
mr2 badboi3

Post by mr2 badboi3 »

thanks for all your replys.iv stuck with magnatec this time but will have to look into some of the other ones you.v all mentioned for next time.i spoke to rogue systems as its only 10 mins from me & they seem to think magnatecs ok to use as its what they used to use.its a mine field really lol.thanks all :)
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

You fell for the marketing spam of Magnatec then 8-[
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

Leeroy wrote:You fell for the marketing spam of Magnatec then 8-[

probably he just put a decent oil at a decent price in, if you service regular any decent oil will be fine.

i've used magnatec on my tuned turbo for seven years with no problems, regular intervals are the key :)

paul
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

speed-tech wrote:
Leeroy wrote:You fell for the marketing spam of Magnatec then 8-[

probably he just put a decent oil at a decent price in, if you service regular any decent oil will be fine.

i've used magnatec on my tuned turbo for seven years with no problems, regular intervals are the key :)

paul

How much does it cost you per 5l, and how often do you change it?

:)
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

I change my oil every 10k ish coming up to winter months now. what oil do I need now?

10w40 for summer
"" "" for winter? 5w40??

(All semi synth)
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Vindezal wrote:I change my oil every 10k ish coming up to winter months now. what oil do I need now?

10w40 for summer
"" "" for winter? 5w40??

(All semi synth)

I'm not an expert mate but I'd think its fine to run 5-w40 all year round, and yes that includes summer - it will perform better when cold.

Return to “Mechanical”