Converting From 3SFE to 16v N/A?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dellams

Re: Converting From 3SFE to 16v N/A?

Post by dellams »

Argggghhh... ok cool. So where did I hear mine was the non 16v model? Might have been another site or mate or something. Hmmmm... So mine is 16v but just a weedy one! :(

Cheers.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I think people assume because it's quite puny in terms of power it's just an 8v engine.

Heck even I did once apon a time :oops:

Any way do you want to pay me back in installments or one lump sum?

Installments have a 10% interest charge applied.
dellams

Post by dellams »

lol, yeah I would prefer to take out a re-payment plan if thats ok? ;-)

Think I am going to get Rogue to fit the 3SGE, love watching their webcam! :)

Cheers.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Just on a further note - look up 8v dohc on google and you would be suprised how many they're are that have them.

Most common ones seem to be Fords. I see they had one in the Transit and one in the Scorpio (ugly Granada replacement)
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

JohnnyC wrote:What he says ^^^^^

You can't really justify spending hundreds (or thousands) getting a new engine transplanted if it's only going from ~120bhp to 173bhp.

3S-GTE Turbo or V6 :pirate:

You wouldnt be saying that if it was a beams lump up for grabs, maybe upto 197bhp but thats a NA. :wink:
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Vindezal wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:What he says ^^^^^

You can't really justify spending hundreds (or thousands) getting a new engine transplanted if it's only going from ~120bhp to 173bhp.

3S-GTE Turbo or V6 :pirate:

You wouldnt be saying that if it was a beams lump up for grabs, maybe upto 197bhp but thats a NA. :wink:

I would :)
I'd have loved a beams car, but couldn't justify the costs involved getting a transplant for an extra 29bhp!!!
Cheaper to sell up and buy a rev5 G-Limited.
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

matt_mr2t wrote:Just on a further note - look up 8v dohc on google and you would be suprised how many they're are that have them.

Most common ones seem to be Fords. I see they had one in the Transit and one in the Scorpio (ugly Granada replacement)

trust ford to be involved! lol

hands up, never thought about them or the fiat one!

more lower down torque for easy driveablity & technology & timing of twin cam. simple when ya think about it!
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
dellams

Post by dellams »

Probably another stupid question but what is a beams engine? :-k

My current engine has 111k miles on it but the replacement one has 147k, so I wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not? But from what has been said on the forum is that it is in really good condition and has been well looked after, plus it is a better engine than my existing one. I am just not sure which would make my car worth more? the 3SFE fixed at 111k or the 3SGE at 147k?

Other problems with my car are:

• The join between the manifold to downpipe has gone so the exhaust is spluttering and is losing back pressure because of it. This needs some new bolts putting in since I think it currently only has 1 holding it together. It will of course also need a new gasket putting in.

At the moment my car is losing power once it warms up but I think that may be down to the back pressure not being right and the big ends going since the oil thins out once warm and the engine bay is overheating. Does this sound like it could just be this or maybe a sensor might have gone too like the oxygen sensor maybe?

The brakes are sticking at the front (think it might just be the front right), I can sort this by cleaning them up but was wondering if this was a common problem and what is best to try to prevent this from occuring.

Other questions I had were:

• Is it worth getting the engine tuned while they are at it? Any idea how much more this would cost?

Is it worth getting the fuel mapping improved? Cost? Again, is it even worth it on this engine/car?

Again, any advice you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
dellams

Post by dellams »

bu88er! ](*,)

Just read message from rogue probably this time, the price was per day and said it was at least 2 days work, I thought it was the total price! This puts the cost up by quite a bit when you add transportation costs, im looking at at least 1k!!! :( bu88er, got to re-look at my options again now since I am not sure 1k is worth spending on my car when its only worth about that anyway!

Not sure what I would get for it if I got the engine in it due to the high millage too. :(

Cheers.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

That's why most go for a 'bigger' transplant - turbo or V6.

As for what is the beams? It's just a newer 3S-GE that has variable valve timing (with intelligence :-k ), VVTi. The redtop version is good for 200ps (197bhp) and the blacktop for 220ps.
dellams

Post by dellams »

Oh right, cool. :)

Only problem of putting a V6 or turbo in means replaceing other parts too like gearbox, etc. Do you by any chance know the full list of parts that would need to be replaced/modified to handle these bigger engines?

Also, a rough cost too?

Cheers.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Engine, box, ecu, drive shafs with hubs & brakes (rear) and all associated sensors.

If it's a rev 1 and you go for a rev 3 you'll need to get new speedo's too.
dellams

Post by dellams »

Ok cheers.

Yeah, really sad to hear about hamster. :(
Hope he gets better soon...
dellams

Post by dellams »

Heres that site I was talkinh about:

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/mr2/frames/t ... ge.htm#top
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

dellams wrote:So where did I hear mine was the non 16v model? Might have been another site or mate or something.

dellams wrote:Heres that site I was talkinh about:

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/mr2/frames/t ... ge.htm#top

It still doesn't say there it's an 8v engine :-k
dellams

Post by dellams »

No, it just says DOHC inline 4, im not a mech so im not sure what that means? But I do know the engine later on 3SGE actualyl says DOCH 16v so to me that may imply that the earlier 3SFE may not be 16v? :-k
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

But Mr Canny's site also *doesn't* say that the 3S-GE is an inline 4, does that mean it's a V4 ? :mrgreen:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Inline 4 (or any other number) simply means the cylinders are side by side in a strait line.

Then you have the V formation where by you have 2 banks of cylinds meeting in the middle at the bottom with 1 crack which has a V formation.

Then you have "flat" 4's (or what ever number of pistons) Same principle as a V but not in a V shape, each bank is completely horizontal. Like this <--O-->
dellams

Post by dellams »

Arrrr... that makes sense! :) Cheers dude. \:D/

So a V engine is generally more powerful than a inline 4? What about a flat? Is that more powerful than a V? The number after the letter is always how much cylinders it has so a V6 has 6 cylinders?

I assume also a V6 can have different numbers of valves too? Or is it normally a given that they are all the same? Such as all being 16v so its a V6 16v. I think you can also get 24v cant you?

What about these new rotor engines? My mates just bought a new mazada rx8 (think its 8!) Its got a rotor engine and its a 1.3 litre but its got 250 odd BHP without a turbo! But he said its equivliant to a normal engine being 2.6 litres since it goes through petrol at a higher rate.

Cheers.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

The number of valves depends on the engine. For instance if you have a 4 cylinder engine you could have 8 valves. 2 valves on each clyinder - one for intet air and the other for exhausted air.
Or you could have 3 valves per cylinder on some rare cars.
The most common is 16v - 4 valves per cylinder 2 inlet valves and 2 exhaust valves.
Working their way in these days are the odd 4 cylinder 20v engines which have 5 valves per cylinder.

A V6 is usually no more powerful than an inline 6 but they develop more torque and they usually have more power lower down in the rev range.
A flat formation is the same but is often used in confined spaces, scoobies have them as do 911's

The Wankel Rotory engine is a completly new kettle of fish though. In simplistic terms it's a cylinder with a triangle inside. Each point of the triangle touches the inside of the cylinder. Around it you have 3 injectors and inlets for air and outlets for exhausted gasses. The airfuel mix goes in one side blasting the triangle round then the next side then the next all in time to make it spin inside.

They're a little more complicted than that in real life but I havent completely figured them out yet either lol.

Return to “Modifications”