Converting From 3SFE to 16v N/A?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dellams

Converting From 3SFE to 16v N/A?

Post by dellams »

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes anyway...

I am thinking of sticking the 16v N/A engine in my DOC4 non 16v car. It is still a mark2 but the year is 1990 just before they went to 16v. The bigends have gone and I think it would cost about £500 at least to get them fixed at a garage right?

So I thought I may be better off just sticking a better engine in there, I can source one on here for about £200 but was wondering what work would need to be done to fit in my car? I currently have the 3SFE engine in it, I am not sure if it would be a straight swap or not? Also any idea as a rough guess how much it would cost to get this done at a garage?

My third option would be just to get a new MR2 altogether since I would probably get a 1k for it and then add the £500ish repair cost thats 1.5k for a new one. Only problem is for that price they look a bit tatty with the paintwork not being too good. Mine has recently had a re-spray so the body work looks almost new, no marks or anything, be a shame to waste such a nice body I thought. :(

Cheers.
craig

Re: Converting From 3SFE to 16v N/A?

Post by craig »

The 3SFE engine is a 2.0 16V.....

thought about a 2.0 turbo conversion or a V6? :-k
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

What he says ^^^^^

You can't really justify spending hundreds (or thousands) getting a new engine transplanted if it's only going from ~120bhp to 173bhp.

3S-GTE Turbo or V6 :pirate:
dellams

Post by dellams »

If only it was the 16v one! :( I would simply probably just get it fixed.
Mine was manifactured just as they were changing over to 16v hence why my manual has both engines in it. :(

Does it cost more around a 1k to get a new engine in then? If thats the case dont think its worth doing as you guys say....

I would love to be a turbo in but from what I have heard that's even more work cos the rest of the car has to be upgraded to deal with the increased power. I dont think the chasis, etc would be able to handle it. Probably just better off getting mine fixed or just get a new 16v or turbo one.

If I get mine fixed it would be only a tempoary measure while I save up for my rev3 tubby! :twisted: I am after a nice yellow rev 3 with a body kit on. Seen a couple but are more around the 7kish mark, I think its worth this money but is a little steep?

Cheers guys.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

3SFE is definately a 16v engine but lower powered due it being designed more for ecconomy than speed.

The brakes, suspension etc are the same on a turbo as the n/a. Only things that are different are engine related parts such as gearbox, ecu, injectors etc.
craig

Post by craig »

dellams wrote:If only it was the 16v one! :( I would simply probably just get it fixed.
Mine was manifactured just as they were changing over to 16v hence why my manual has both engines in it. :(

Does it cost more around a 1k to get a new engine in then? If thats the case dont think its worth doing as you guys say....

I would love to be a turbo in but from what I have heard that's even more work cos the rest of the car has to be upgraded to deal with the increased power. I dont think the chasis, etc would be able to handle it. Probably just better off getting mine fixed or just get a new 16v or turbo one.

If I get mine fixed it would be only a tempoary measure while I save up for my rev3 tubby! :twisted: I am after a nice yellow rev 3 with a body kit on. Seen a couple but are more around the 7kish mark, I think its worth this money but is a little steep?

Cheers guys.

The 3SFE was always a 16V, there was no change over etc except to a 3SGE, which is the 158bhp 2.0 16V

I had a turbo engine fitted to my old 3SFE car and I didn't uprate brakes or suspension.

As I believe that on the rev 1's, the suspension and brakes were the same between all rev 1 models..
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

All revs had the same chassis and brakes. IE rev1 turbo's were the same as rev1 N/A's then Toyota upgraded the rev2+ suspsnsion and brakes and they were the same on Turbo and na.

There "may" be a difference in the thickness of the anti-roll bars and the shock inserts but I dont know that for sure though.
craig

Post by craig »

Don't remember rev 2 NAs getting the Bilstein set up the same as turbos....thought it was just the rev 1 cars that had the same set up on both turbo and NA :-k
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

dellams wrote:If only it was the 16v one! :( I would simply probably just get it fixed.

The 3S-GE wasn't a replacement for the 3S-FE, they were both available at the same time.

Another option is to supercharge your 3S-FE.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

IIRC some one was selling a complete kit to charge the FE. Problem this guy has is his engine is cream crackered already so would only add to the cost.
dellams

Post by dellams »

Any idea how much it costs to supercharge it then? What is the difference between a turbo and supercharge anyway?

Done a little research and I think I can see the confusion now, it depends what year model of the 3SFE you have, since mine is the 1990 model its not 16v. :(

Uself link here:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/ ... tml?200619

Mines this one: (I think! lol)

3S-FE DOHC 4/22.3 90 1998 119@5600 130@4400 86 86 9.8:1

They sure like to keep things complicated don't they!!! ](*,)

Cheers guys.
craig

Post by craig »

The 3SFE was always a 16V!

There was never another UK varient of the 3SFE. they were all the same.

my old car was a 1990 3SFE and it had "2.0 16V" across the top of the engine.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

dellams wrote:Any idea how much it costs to supercharge it then? What is the difference between a turbo and supercharge anyway?

Done a little research and I think I can see the confusion now, it depends what year model of the 3SFE you have, since mine is the 1990 model its not 16v. :(

Uself link here:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/ ... tml?200619

Mines this one: (I think! lol)

3S-FE DOHC 4/22.3 90 1998 119@5600 130@4400 86 86 9.8:1

They sure like to keep things complicated don't they!!! ](*,)

Cheers guys.

for some reason you're adamant it's an 8v, but even in your reply you've put DOHC , double overhead cam, you got 8 valves per cam and two of them, so 16v, ta-da!

trust us guys, we know our xxxx*!

* at times! :wink:
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

At no point does that link even say it's 8v. Also I'd like to point out it's not impossible to have 8v DOHC's
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

matt_mr2t wrote:At no point does that link even say it's 8v. Also I'd like to point out it's not impossible to have 8v DOHC's

i know not impossible, but pretty damn uncommon! can't even think of one off the top of my head! it's pretty much a given that a DOHC isn't an 8 valve.

should probabl have worded my original reply a bit bettererererer, but was in middle of eatin me tea!
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
dellams

Post by dellams »

Looks like I better scan my manual in to show you guys. I think I know what engine my car has in it dudes! :) Trust me, if it was a 16v I'll know about it.

Look at:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Mine does not look like this therefore as is said on the thread it must be the older 4 pot version. :(

Its so annoying because I have a page I downloaded at home with all of the engine specs and includes mine on there but I just cant find it again here at work. Ill try to remember to post it on here when I get in. But I do see where you guys are coming from cos the most popular 3sfe's do all say 16v where ever you search, mine is just a very rare economical version, think it was taken from another Toyota car, my car is so rare, it doesn't even have a spoiler! :-s

Not sure if thats a good thing or not since it still looks nice without one and maybe it might be worth more in the future for being rarer, but then again I'll get less down force (not sure how much differce this actually makes) especially with my smaller engine. But when I put a better engine in, might be worth sticking a spoiler on it then if it would actually make a noticable difference.

Cheers guys.
dellams

Post by dellams »

Ill try and take a pic of it tonight too (if I can find my camera!!!)

Cheers.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I'll bet you a thousand pounds right now your engine has 16 valves. (unless some ones replaced it with something thats an 8v)

PS, the reason your engine doesnt look like that is because thats the 3S-GE

Your's is the 3S-FE which isn't all that much cop.

Even the older mk1 MR2 with a 1.6 engine was a 16v so it has nothing to do with age. Just the weedy engine they sold the car with.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Return to “Modifications”