What a difference good tyres make...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Urban Assault Vehicle

What a difference good tyres make...

Post by Urban Assault Vehicle »

Got my new wheels on yesterday and they came wrapped in Khumo Ecsta (?) rubber. The difference in the wet especially is night and day between the $hite that was on it!

The previous owner put some Star Performers on to get it through its MOT which led to some squeeky @rse moments in the typical Scottish weather.

Only had the new tyres on a day and already I have so much more confidence in the car in the wet. I gave it some on a roundabout in the wet (raining) at 6 o'clock this morning and the backend never flinched!

I've not got any other brand to compare them to but so far so good! :thumleft:
Quigonjay

Re: What a difference good tyres make...

Post by Quigonjay »

it seems the khumos are very under rated, a few people have had good results with them but as they are not such a big name as the big hitters i think people are reluctant to give then a try
i'l be giving there V70A track tyres a go when i get the chance
jont

Post by jont »

Had some on the front of my old car - 405 Mi-16. They might be okay budget tyres, but still way off Bridgestone 720s or Goodyear F1s for grip - especially in the wet.
gavinl

Post by gavinl »

quigonjay wrote:i think people are reluctant to give then a try
i'l be giving there V70A track tyres a go when i get the chance

I'm going to try a set of the V70a as well when the warmer weather picks up again next year.
03 MR2 Roadster
03 Lexus GS430 Sport
95 Supra T6
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

noticed a HELL of a lot of people runnin on Ecsta's at TOTB this year. i had them on my old 15's & they were superb!
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Urban Assault Vehicle

Like I said, I've nothing to compare them against but they are doing a top job for me.

I always thought that Khumo's where just a budget make when they first come out.

I've had Pirelli P6000's on a previous car years ago, and I reckon they aren't a patch on these Khumo's. Especially considering the price I paid for them!
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

What are the sidewall on these tyres like?

i have standard size alloys, so finding 225 50 15 tyres are not the easiest! I cant get Eagles!!!

I currenlty run toyo's but find the sidewalls too soft, so the car seems to squat a little. Dont get me wrong! Very sticky!

So are they as sticky as the Toyo's? And are the sidewalls harder?

Nick
Antstarr

Post by Antstarr »

I was gonna get these but opted for Toyo's as I wasnt sure how good these were. They're not as good as Proxes in the wet are they? Winters coming soon so I want to be safe...especially in a turbo.
Watashi wa Ant desu, BAKA!!!
Urban Assault Vehicle

shibby! wrote:What are the sidewall on these tyres like?

i have standard size alloys, so finding 225 50 15 tyres are not the easiest! I cant get Eagles!!!

I currenlty run toyo's but find the sidewalls too soft, so the car seems to squat a little. Dont get me wrong! Very sticky!

So are they as sticky as the Toyo's? And are the sidewalls harder?

Nick

I had Toyo Proxes on the front of mine previously with loads of tread left but I still reckon these are grippier. Especially in the wet when I could sometimes feel the fronts gliding a bit but these Khumo's are like glue.

Not noticed any squating with the sidewalls to be honest, but I didn't with the Toyo's either.

You sure you just don't need air in them mate?

Antstarr wrote:I was gonna get these but opted for Toyo's as I wasnt sure how good these were. They're not as good as Proxes in the wet are they? Winters coming soon so I want to be safe...especially in a turbo.

Like I said in the first post mate I never had the Toyo's on the rear of my car, only the front so I can't comment on the performance in the wet.

And as I said to Shibby! above I personally think these perform better than my Toyo's in the wet but this could also be my mind playing tricks on me as I have the same tyre on all 4 corners this time.

My mates have noticed a huge difference in the wet also as the always commented on how the car felt unstable until I got the new wheels/tyres.
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

Tyres are def inflated correctly to the right pressure.

Toyo's are notorious for having soft sidewalls. I found Yoko's were better, but they were rubbish tyres!

So Kumho's eh! i have heard about them being ok, i am limited to my tyre choice with having 225/50/15 and 195/55/15

DOH!

Nick

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”