Me V's a GSX1000 !!!

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

gordy.r

Me V's a GSX1000 !!!

Post by gordy.r »

One of my workmates has a Suzuki GSX1000 and we decided at lunch today to go for a little spin along some of the country roads down the South Downs in Hampshire.

WOW! :shock: Those things can shift, i thought my tubby was fast and could take a reasonable corner...... not compared to this baby.

We were out for about an hour (ok ok i know a bike will be faster than a car, and i know they out accelerate a car and can corner reasonably well, but this was just crazy), and at some points he was accelerating away from me on just one wheel (being the rear of course :wink: ), i was just so amazed at the sheer power of the thing!

At one point i had taken him on a straight, he shot past me (again popping a wheelie... the show off) and dissapeared into the distance. I rounded the next corner to see a lovely straight ahead of me.... and no motorbike!
Surely he must be in a hedge or something.... theres no way he could of gotten that far ahead of me!

But sadly yes, he was waiting around the next bend for me to catch up! :oops:

Yes some of you may disapprove of this post, but it was a good day, clear roads and two guys having a play in / on their toys and what a way to spend my lunch hour!!! :D
RyanRs

Re: Me V's a GSX1000 !!!

Post by RyanRs »

my mate had a 05 gsxr 1000 SE... they have built in 'Warp Speed'
Urban Assault Vehicle

Post by Urban Assault Vehicle »

gordy.r wrote:One of my workmates has a Suzuki GSX1000 and we decided at lunch today to go for a little spin along some of the country roads down the South Downs in Hampshire.

WOW! :shock: Those things can shift, i thought my tubby was fast and could take a reasonable corner...... not compared to this baby.

We were out for about an hour (ok ok i know a bike will be faster than a car, and i know they out accelerate a car and can corner reasonably well, but this was just crazy), and at some points he was accelerating away from me on just one wheel (being the rear of course :wink: ), i was just so amazed at the sheer power of the thing!

At one point i had taken him on a straight, he shot past me (again popping a wheelie... the show off) and dissapeared into the distance. I rounded the next corner to see a lovely straight ahead of me.... and no motorbike!
Surely he must be in a hedge or something.... theres no way he could of gotten that far ahead of me!

But sadly yes, he was waiting around the next bend for me to catch up! :oops:

Yes some of you may disapprove of this post, but it was a good day, clear roads and two guys having a play in / on their toys and what a way to spend my lunch hour!!! :D

I hope you never put any money on with him that you'd keep!

I had a similar experience with a mate on a CBR 1000, he took the bragging rights for that one. There was absolutely no contest and we were in a Supra TT.
Gouda

Post by Gouda »

Only had a play with a bike once and in a straight line they are ridiculously fast, round bends they are quick to, but round tight corners there aren't all that.

Was in the process of destroying a chavved up corsa when I caught up with a what looked like an R1 (don't know my bikes that well I'm afraid). round the following round about he had his knee pretty much to the ground (thought he was going to lay it down) but I still caught up with him. Presumably the lack of contact surface with the road limits their sharp cornering ability.
Still, no contest, I was severely put in my place after the round about. For a second I thought I was actually going in reverse.
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

It's horses for courses. Under certain conditions the bike will have it and under other conditions the car will have it. However on balance most of the time it is stacked in favour of the bike, and I'm so glad! I've ridden bikes all of my (adult) life and they are sooooo much fun. The reason I do not have a better car is because I have spent money on my bikes and am saving for another!
gordy.r

Post by gordy.r »

Gordy wrote: The reason I do not have a better car is because I have spent money on my bikes and am saving for another!

You mean there is a car that is better than the Rev3 tubby :shock:

Surely this cannot be true 8-[

:D
The Morris

Post by The Morris »

Clarkson put a Carrera against a bike round a track and the porsche won. Dont know what bike, but the porshe isnt the quickest
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

gordy.r wrote:
Gordy wrote: The reason I do not have a better car is because I have spent money on my bikes and am saving for another!

You mean there is a car that is better than the Rev3 tubby :shock:

Surely this cannot be true 8-[

:D

Yeah, silly me, must have had a bit of a turn. How could I say such a thing :clown:

Clarkson put a Carrera against a bike round a track and the porsche won. Dont know what bike, but the porshe isnt the quickest

I've seen lots of bike / car comparisons over the years, some on TV, most in print. They are interesting but don't prove much. I would be very doubtful of the accuracy of anything JC arranged... it's almost always rigged for entertainment.

Around town the guy on the pizza delivery moped is the fastest. Around country bends it'll probably be an Elise. On fast A and B roads the bike would shine. If it's wet I'ld take an Evo. Horses for courses.

Bikes are so different to cars functionally, dynamically and (..searching for the right phrase, and failing...) in sentiment of ownership. It's not a case of which is best as they both have their place. I wouldn't want to be without either.
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

I couldn't agree with Gordy more. The only similarity is that they both operate on tarmac.

they offer totally different experiences and really should not be compared.

for the record, in a straight line you need around 300bhp to hold onto a 600cc modern standard bike in a straight line from 80mph upwards. Don't race it from the line, a well launched 600 can pull 0-60 in the low 3's and 100 around 7 dead.

1000's are in a totally different league though, and when I had the fireblade 600's were chicanes on the straight. You need more like 5-600bhp per tonne to be anywhere them in a straight line.

I got rid of the fireblade for a 600 on UK roads since it was taking most of the Sunday run to get acclimatised (spelling?) to it before we went home!! 600's you can thrape out the garage!

Everyone should have both!
[SiG]

Post by [SiG] »

I am SO getting a CBR600RR next Spring 8)
excalibur1814

Yesh

Post by excalibur1814 »

The Morris wrote:Clarkson put a Carrera against a bike round a track and the porsche won. Dont know what bike, but the porshe isnt the quickest

In all honesty, I take things like that with a pinch of salt, especially after the competition fix of the Mr2 Mk1 vs Mk3 / Glf Mk1 vs etc show the other year. 8-[ Did I say that?
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

Niall McKenzie was riding the R1 against the Carrera 4 round Thruxton from a standing start.

Niall writes for T.W.O magazine and protests furiously that he wasn't given sufficient time to bed-in the brand new tyres on the bike, and claims that during the onboard shots it's plain to see that he is suffering lots of wheelspin and also claims his cornering speed was hampered.

Whilst I sympathise with 'new tyre' syndrome, 3 or 4 laps would easily bed them in enough for the comparison, and I can't believe they wouldn't have *allowed* him to do that. It would have been assumed procedure to run-in new tyres, and plain dangerous not to.

So that's it. He reckons the bike would have slaughtered the car with warm/bedded-in tyres. I am not so sure.

the only other decent test I have seen is where a Crescent Suzuki GSXR-1000 lapped a small fraction faster than a Radical SR3. The standard GSXR1000 was slower.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

3 - 4 laps is not sufficien ttime to scrub off the tyres. not only do you have to get them up to temperature before you start, you also have to scrub off more surface then with a car as you have to scrub off the sides for cornering. he would need more time.

niall mckenzie was also the one riding (unknown bike) against a modified noble around a track and beat the car. was shown on bikes aloud - a bike programme with the bike as a winner, oh and look top gear: a car prgoramme with a car as the winner.....
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I hate motircyclists lol. They do what ever they please on the road then moan when a car doesnt see one fly past in the inside a 190mph lol.

BUT what I do love is the engines.

could you imagine if car engines were as tuned as them?

My mates R6 is 115bhp from a 600cc engine ffs. Thats not even a 3rd of the capacity of a 3S-FE and is as powerful nearly!!
Andy Champ

Post by Andy Champ »

matt_mr2t wrote:I hate motircyclists lol. They do what ever they please on the road then moan when a car doesnt see one fly past in the inside a 190mph lol.

When will they learn to pass on the exit of a bend?
I had some guy on a big bike go around a roundabout in front of me the other day. Took off down the mile long straight, pulling a wheely to a high enough speed that I saw a puff of smoke when he put it down. Like I was going to catch him.

Couple of S bends later, and he was holding me up going around the roundabout at the end of the road.

Then of course disappeared when we hit traffic.

I nearly collected a bike over my frunk once when he passed me on the approach to a roundabout, and he wanted to go left. I hadn't even intended to slow down, I was only cruising. I hope his mate told him he was a BF.

matt_mr2t wrote:could you imagine if car engines were as tuned as them?

How long would they last?

Andy
spongebob

Post by spongebob »

Matt the hamster is actually a huge bike fan and his or had his won coumn in motor cycle news ! I ride a tuned ZX7r and have the ZX7rr for the track and I also drive a 320bhp St205 and standard MK1 supercharger and which of those offers the most fun ? The supercharger as its a drivers car, the celica you can throw into a bend at any speed and it goes round it but doesnt take skill to do it like the supercharger, I love bikes and no way on this planet would any car short of 500 bhp take one off the line (For this I mean larger capacity bikes like the R1 and CBR1000RR etc !) horses for courses for sure, i love my bikes but only in the dry warm waether on large or clear roads as traffic spoils the fun ! on the track bikes are uber cheapr thrill machines as you can pick up decent track bikes for a grand with 0-60 under 3 seconds and 170 top whack so on the track mega thrills for you cash ! if you drop it £300 for new race bodywork, put your car into a side wall £££££ !!!! each to thier own though !
EarL

Post by EarL »

spongebob wrote:no way on this planet would any car short of 500 bhp take one off the line (For this I mean larger capacity bikes like the R1 and CBR1000RR etc !)

Well, perhaps not quite that much, but not far short. :twisted:

I raced my mate on his GSX-R 1000 from Llandow (just outside Barry in South Wales, for those of you that don't know), past Rhoose airport. The road winds its way through several nice leafy lanes until it comes to the main road leading to the bypass.

The road travels right around the perimiter of the airport and is probably one of the largest curves around South Wales (Glamorgan definately!). The corner takes quite a few minutes to travel round at something like 40mph.

...imagine that on a bike!

A nice sunny Sunday morning before all the idiots wake up. Knee welded to the tarmac. Carbon Yoshimura can howling like a banshee...

Well think again! He couldn't stay with me. :twisted:

I'm not going to mention speeds as I'll definately get it in the neck by the green brigade. I'll leave you to use your imagination.

Once we got to the main bypass, he was off like a jack rabbit, but I can tell you, he was mighty pi55ed off that his crotch rocket couldn't stay with my old tubby on that bend.

Any takers...?

Any time. :twisted:
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

matt_mr2t wrote:My mates R6 is 115bhp from a 600cc engine ffs. Thats not even a 3rd of the capacity of a 3S-FE and is as powerful nearly!!

But check out the torque on a bike engine. BHP is easy, it's all about RPM. That, coupled with the fact it's a damn site easier to get a tiny piston to fly up and down at 13,000rpm than it is to get a bigger one to and you've got a machine that's got big power per litre without stressing things too much.

Bikes are great though, i miss my 600
pintovit

Post by pintovit »

Saw this movie clip of a Datsun 250z with a Chevy engine pushing around 1000bhp (yeap... no mistake there :) ). Say it drag a bike and it was pretty close. If you search for Darius (the Datsun owner) on the web, it should be pretty easy to find.

Don't know what bike it was but definitely 900-1000cc league...

So when people say always above 5-600 bhp I have to agree... it takes at least as much as that.

Remember, it's an engine between your legs with 2 wheels for bumpers... Couldn't be simpler... And some guys even try to use one of the wheels as least as possible! :mrgreen:
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

pintovit wrote:Saw this movie clip of a Datsun 250z with a Chevy engine pushing around 1000bhp (yeap... no mistake there :) ). Say it drag a bike and it was pretty close. If you search for Darius (the Datsun owner) on the web, it should be pretty easy to find.

Don't know what bike it was but definitely 900-1000cc league...

So when people say always above 5-600 bhp I have to agree... it takes at least as much as that.

Remember, it's an engine between your legs with 2 wheels for bumpers... Couldn't be simpler... And some guys even try to use one of the wheels as least as possible! :mrgreen:

you mean this guy/car:
Clicky

and this video:
Clicky
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3

Return to “Driving Experiences”