ABS

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR22

ABS

Post by MR22 »

I'm new to the MR2 scene, and the 1993 dated Handbook that came with my 1994 Rev 2 UK T-Bar goes into the intricacies of the ABS system and warning lights etc.
No warning lights come on in my car when I switch on the ignition or when I'm driving and I thought that pre Rev 3 UK cars did not have it fitted. Can someone put my mind at rest and confirm one way or the other ?
Many thanks
#-o
Ian Geary

Re: ABS

Post by Ian Geary »

1. open front trunk

2. remove spare and black plastic cover

3. left side will be brake servo and master cylinder

4. If there is a metal unit with 4 pipes coming out infront of the master cylinder, then you've got ABS - this will look like the pic below (although pic taken from a Celica)

5. If there are just 2 pipes coming out of the brake master cylidner, then you haven't. In which case it will look like the picture below (from my rev3 GTS).

It was an optional extra on the GTS that mine didn't get, standard on GT turbo. Don't know about UK cars though.

Other clues can be found by looking at the hub: there will be a sensor wire going from the hub up into the body (which is the ABS sensor wire).

If these indicate you should have it, but the light isn't coming on, then check fuses or the bulb in the dash I would guess.

hth

Ian
MR22

Post by MR22 »

Hi Ian,
I've already been and had a look - 2 pipes only, so no ABS on mine then.
Many thanks for your speedy help and super pictures - Who needs Haynes (If you could get one) with members like you ? ! ! !
j220

abs

Post by j220 »

I have the same problem, no lights on the dash but I do have abs on my rev1 turbo. Can anyone tell me where the fuse(s) are for the abs system please

thanks

Dave
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Dave, ABS fuses are labelled clearly - most are in the front fusebox ISTR.

If you're not getting a light in the dash and you're sure you do have ABS, the bulb could have blown.
j220

abs

Post by j220 »

yes, thanks, I found the one in the front fuse box (that looks ok) but the wiring diagram shows two more, thoses are the ones I cant find. I wanted to check all the fuses before I took the dash apart

Dave
Poohbear

Post by Poohbear »

Dave,
The only fuses other than the 80A ABS fuse found in the engine bay fuse box that relate to the ABS system are the 7.5A gauge fuse found in the footwell fusebox (fuse No.2) and the 7.5A ECU-B fuse found in the engine bay fuse box (fuse No.10).

Bob
I'm Going To Die Young...But When I'm Very Very Old!

Return to “Mechanical”