TRD V6 - Yay or Nay?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

What do we think?

Go for it!
55%
For the love of god don't do it!
45%

Total votes: 22

tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Re: TRD V6 - Yay or Nay?

Post by tonigmr2 »

Right, we got there then. So you're buying it and putting a supercharged V6 in alright? Get on with it, chop chop. :)

T
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

When I, and a few others, venutred that changing a standard limited edition would devalue it we were not talking b0ll0ck5. As soon as you weld on the extra mount for the V6 and tart around with the wiring you certainly do make a unique vehicle, AND decrease it's value. A TRD widebody came with a 3S-GTE (of whatever spec). Put another engine in and you have a hybrid specification which is not collectable at all because it is no longer part of a limited edition.

Would anyone like to pay a high price for a Rolex watch with a more accurate but far cheaper Chinese mechanism stuffed inside? No, because it's not standard Rolex any more? Understand?

As has been said, leave the nice limited edition cars alone and build your own V6 widebody starting with a cheap dog. It's cheaper, you get the whole thing done your way, and you don't eff-up a nice limited edition car.

Oh, by the way, if you do go ahead all of the other limited edition owners will love you, because with one car no longer in limited edition specification you very effectively raise the rarity and hence the value of their cars. =D>
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Toni - Running all the way dear! :lol:
Last edited by Greddy-Matt on Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Gordy wrote:

As has been said, leave the nice limited edition cars alone and build your own V6 widebody starting with a cheap dog. It's cheaper, you get the whole thing done your way, and you don't eff-up a nice limited edition car.

Oh, by the way, if you do go ahead all of the other limited edition owners will love you, because with one car no longer in limited edition specification you very effectively raise the rarity and hence the value of their cars. =D>

LOL do you mean me. :) I honestly think in this instance it will not devalue the car. The car has a standard untouched engine, and he wants to give the car the grunt it deserves. :-k

Yes it is a limited edition, but one without anything special engine wise. If anything I would find it a more desirable car to buy if I were in the buying market and this came up with a rare engine combination. :-s

T
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Gordy - I appreciate your input, and im not being sarcastic. At no point did I say anyone was talking B0ll0ck5. It was just an idea, a thought, I wanted views and any advice IMOCers had on doing something a bit different like this. And I welcome the feedback both positive and negative it was the whole point of starting this thread!

Why get agro with me?

In you opinion I should forget the V6 route and see what can be done with the engine already installed yes? Thats all you had to say.
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

I honestly think in this instance it will not devalue the car.

I honestly think in this instance that you are completely and utterly wrong !

he wants to give the car the grunt it deserves

Then 500 hp it like Toyota would. That really would raise the value...

Oh, let's see - spend my money on a molested non-standard and hence non-collectable and de-valued widebody car with a pleasant V6, or spend my money on a true limited edition highly collectable widebody with the orginal type of engine kicking out 500 bhp? Oh yeah, tough choice...

I would find it a more desirable car to buy if I were in the buying market

I am sure a minority would (nowt wrong with that), but as a general rule the majority of true car collectors would value a standard limited edition car highly because it is to standard limited edition spec. They all know that if they want a hybrid they can go have one built relatively cheaply without sacrificing a limited edition jobbie. ](*,)
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

At no point did I say anyone was talking B0ll0ck5

Yes, I know and understand. No worries.

I simply meant that it was a considered opinion not just shooting from the hip. I understand that we are all different, and that some people (he said zipping up flameproof overalls) with a more reactionary or less-considered disposition will dive in all enthusiastic without truely considering the big picture.

Anyway: spend your money on a house !!!
SwissHeavy

Post by SwissHeavy »

Some people seem to have missed the point here and need to check the for sale ad on this car in question.

The 3SGTE in this TRD we're talking about is practically an unmolested Rev2 engine. It's near exactly the same spec engine as any standard Rev2 Turbo.

Hence why not put a Toyota V6 in it? Surely molesting with the Rev2 block to produce 500hp is just as severe as achieving heavy horse power with another engine. Granted, it no longer has the 3SGTE lump, and certainly, I would rather have a highly tuned 3SGTE in it than a Camry V6 - but it's the same means to an end really and would be in the eyes of the beholder.

Or you could shoehorn in the Lexus V8's the SARD GT (MR2 - MC8R) cars used in the late 1990's LeMans? They competed with McLaren F1's no less. Probably would be easier to do as the wider body would free up space. Just an expensive thought for you...

Last edited by SwissHeavy on Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ugli-stix

Post by ugli-stix »

Just out of interest - is it just the V6 that people are arguing over? Or is it making modifications full stop?

The reason I ask is would it be acceptable to get a genuine TRD with stock-ish engine and uprate the engine as TRD would have done had the original customer ordered it at the time of it going back to TRD for the overhaul?
redeye32uk

Post by redeye32uk »

SwissHeavy wrote: Probably would be easier to do as the wider body would free up space. Just an expensive thought for you...

Surely the engine bay is the same size...... wide body or not. i know there'd be a bit more space under the arches but not much..... :?:
450wbhp comming soon
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

The engine space is exactly the same size. The suspension turrets are in exactly the same place.

If we take the argument putting a V6 in 'ruins' the original spec, then I've ruined mine. It's got a turbo on that TRD wouldn't have put on, injectors, a charge cooler built and designed in the UK - looks like I should've left it with the blueprinted engine, standard turbo and HKS intercooler. :roll:

Any work done in the UK isn't going to be 'original', so why worry about an engine swap. Of course some anally retentive buyers will worry about it :wink: but many won't, so it won't devalue it!!

I refer to my earlier reply - only don't buy this car if you are going to run it every day. Using it as a daily driver will devalue it FAR more than tinkering with it. All IMHO!!
T
SwissHeavy

Post by SwissHeavy »

Yeah I knew the turrets and engine bay are in the same place but, if you were willing to pay out, that could all be changed whilst keeping the same lines of a TRD shape. I don't know, it would be far too expensive really. But he who dares...

Joshboy (livin in a dream world of V8 Twincharged TRD's :lol: )
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

can someone tell me what layout the sard v8 engine is in please? im presuming its an inline config as ive measured a mk2 bay many times and there isnt enough space for a transverse mounted?

ok im having to move the turrets on lily outboard to get the v8 in there but theres 2" less width in a mk2 bay than Mk1 so i find it almost impossible to believe its fitted transversely in the sard....anyone know?

oh while on the topic of wether its right or wrong to six a TRD car,i say go for it,what a car that would be....and heres q for you,why did toyota make the bellhousing pattern identical on its v6 engines and mr2 transmissions if they had no other plans for the v6 than to put it into the camry? seems rather odd to me that they did that....if u ask me id say it was maybe an option they were thinking about,why else would they make the pattern the same?

just something to throw into the pot
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

can someone tell me what layout the sard v8 engine is in please

I don't have a copy of the article to hand, but it was longitudinal, and they extended the wheelbase to accommodate it. I think most of the rear structure was probably bespoke, possibly even a space frame rear end with a one piece lift off skin.

why did toyota make the bellhousing pattern identical

Trying to commonise / plan ahead is actually quite common within the industry. It is highly likely that project design objectives included the requirement for a second engine type - the V6 - as a future possibility. Shame it didn't make it all the way.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Gordy wrote:
can someone tell me what layout the sard v8 engine is in please

I don't have a copy of the article to hand, but it was longitudinal, and they extended the wheelbase to accommodate it. I think most of the rear structure was probably bespoke, possibly even a space frame rear end with a one piece lift off skin.

yup it was runnning inline.

On the V6 conversion for the TRD, why not? Personally I'd turbo the V6 which would make it a total rocket ship.

As for devaluing the car? A car is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it but that shouldn't stop us trying to do something different. If folk like it, fine. If not, tough. I can't see many folk on here buying an original TRD anyway so why all the fuss.
mr2daz

Post by mr2daz »

I'd say go for it Cadaver, drop a V6 in it. I'd do it if I had the money, and then buy a house when i've grown-up a bit. :D

Here's a couple of VERY OLD discussions on swapping the SARD V8 into an SW20 if they are of any use: The pic at the bottom is from the second link, the first link is a cached page.
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:-RVV ... =clnk&cd=4

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php? ... msg_468253
“There’s class warfare all right, but it’s my class, the rich class that’s making war, and we’re winning.” Warren Buffett
jonno

Post by jonno »

Bah, I would just go for it - the sound the V6 makes is incredible, makes the 3sgte sound like a lawnmower.

the 1mz has plenty of supercharger options, and the 3vz is good for turbo options. Or you could go mental like me and build a custom high revving, high CR 3VZ on an M600 and run without supercharger or turbo - just imagine the sound of a 3.0 V6 hitting 8k rpm :)

No contest to be honest, V6 all the way... why havent you started yet?

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Antstarr

Post by Antstarr »

The new Supra is going to be a V8 engine anyway...the 350Z is a V6..they all replacing most L turbos with V type engines nowadays anyway.
Did TRD ever release tuned or modded engines anyway? I think people still modded TRD's look at Toni's has it devalued the car from modding it? I think not. [-X
Watashi wa Ant desu, BAKA!!!
Antstarr

Post by Antstarr »

Hope this aint a repost....look at this mk1 V8 monster!!!

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doc ... 3394&q=mr2

It is sick!!! :o
Watashi wa Ant desu, BAKA!!!
bill strong

Post by bill strong »

That would be my first V8 MR2. The one that is also shown in the link to www.v8mr2.com
We are doing another v8 mr2 using a 1986 chassis. This time we are not cutting the whole car up.
:)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”