Intake temp too high?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

llenrub

Intake temp too high?

Post by llenrub »

Cant get power on my rev 2 after engine build include HKS cams. Intake temps rising too high!

Have aquamist water injection, greddy intercooler, 550 injectors on Wolfkatz rail with Aeromotive FPR.

Should be making 1.5 bar, cant get above 1.1 whats going on?
tubby_tony

Re: Intake temp too high?

Post by tubby_tony »

What turbo and EMS are you running?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

what intake temps are you getting?
llenrub

Post by llenrub »

Same turbo as Mark Edwards- Turbo Technics Stage 1, ECU is DTA (standalone). Intake temp rising to 70 degrees
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Thats pretty high, I was getting about 30-35c at the strip climbing to 40c in traffic.

I was running a greddy intercooler too. But not on a ct hybrid. Is this while driving at a good speed?

Graeme
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

Who mapped your DTA??
Built by YVS Performance
Every car that leaves runs 2 bar+
llenrub

Post by llenrub »

This was running on a rolling road at performance turbo systems in luton it was during July and ambient temps in the shop were around 27 degrees but even so, this is still very high and we never got passed 1.1 bar. They've been waiting for cooler period before running again which should be this week, but Im not convinced it will get anywhere near 1.4 bar !

This was all discovered whilst doing final map setup. They've been mapping DTA ECU's for years. I cant beleive that they would be that bad at it.
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Probably just heatsoaked to death, did they have any decent fans in there? was it an exnclosed bay for tuning?

Graeme
jonno

Post by jonno »

Sounds like the air filter is sucking hot air from under the engine lid and the fan isnt strong enough on the IC.

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
llenrub

Post by llenrub »

Useing big fans with the bay doors wide open. See how it goes this week with lower ambient temps.
jonno

Post by jonno »

llenrub wrote:Useing big fans with the bay doors wide open. See how it goes this week with lower ambient temps.

You need a good fan attached to the intercooler - the fans in the workshop wont really help ](*,)
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
llenrub

Post by llenrub »

3x 4 ft fans blowing air in to the air inlet ducts and the other directly in to the radiator plus the intercooler fan operation- I recon- should have done the job!.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

On a warm day all you're doing is blowing warm air about though tbh. Ever thought about a chargecooler?
T
llenrub

Post by llenrub »

Yes..... but I would have thought the greddy would have been good for 1.4 bar and...... I am resistant to spending more money right now.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

It is probably good for 1.4 bar on a cooler day! Your intake temps will limit it if it's static on a very warm one...blowing hot air about inside a garage won't help.

Mark gets his power in conjunction with a CC, 'tis the way to go really. Or wait for cooler days. :)
T
llenrub

Post by llenrub »

Yes it is, but for now I'll have to make the best of it. Perhaps lagging the pipwework and moving the air filter much closer to the inlet duct might help.
Rory

Post by Rory »

Are you saying that your turbo wont boost over 1.1bar or that it will boost over that but you dont because your intake temps are too high? What power are you making at 1.1bar at the wheels?

Rory
My MR2 for sale! Check out the for sale section
The Morris

Post by The Morris »

hes got greddy intercooler and water injection. Doesnt matter how hot the day you should be able to boost over 1.1bar
llenrub

Post by llenrub »

Turbo working fine. Intake temps were too high. Got a better result today. Lagging pipe, and water spray on intercooler to be re-connected before doing another run.

Is there some sort of scoop ( other than toms scoop) that could be fitted to the external side of the duct to bring more air to the intercooler?
llenrub

Post by llenrub »

Strange thing about this is that before the engine build and the upgrade fuel system, it was making much more power. Now its not, I can't see how the engine build is affecting this.

Completely puzzled!

Return to “Modifications”