IMOC Super Lap Battle

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Icsunonove

Re: IMOC Super Lap Battle

Post by Icsunonove »

A bit tight and twisty , but what about Curborough?

http://www.curborough.co.uk/
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Icsunonove wrote:A bit tight and twisty , but what about Curborough?

http://www.curborough.co.uk/

Good location even if that has to be the worse site ever created.
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

this sounds like a VERY good idea
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

Best drivers / cars to be found out - then no quibbles for TOTB6 - esp for the Handling - as that's where we are competative for points.
Car now Sold :cry: damn 5th Lumber Disc !
anna

Post by anna »

that's a good point - i spose it could be a sort of 'qualifying' event for TOTB if people wanted.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

I like the qualifying for TOTB idea as i should have some super trick suspension on by then, something a little different from the norm :-$
scotiamr2t

Post by scotiamr2t »

centralish to whom though? as im in scotland (even though i seem to be the only scottish person showing interest) anyhoo i'd attend wherever it was car would be coming on a trailer though in case i break it :lol:

i think such an event would be a big hit with alot of the imoc people as im sure theres plenty of folk who want to track their car but dont want to risk getting it pranged on track by some idiot hot hatcher. this sort of event would eliminate such hassles so therefore allowing the more risk conscious members get involved aswell
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

scotiamr2t wrote:centralish to whom though? as im in scotland (even though i seem to be the only scottish person showing interest)

that's just it... ok I should rephrase it..
"central to the Majority of those wishing to attend"

Like i said - only if we have One venue
... what's being discussed / thought about is a few :wink:
Car now Sold :cry: damn 5th Lumber Disc !
anna

Post by anna »

scotiamr2t wrote:
i think such an event would be a big hit with alot of the imoc people as im sure theres plenty of folk who want to track their car but dont want to risk getting it pranged on track by some idiot hot hatcher. this sort of event would eliminate such hassles so therefore allowing the more risk conscious members get involved aswell

The big downside is that you'd get less track time than a trackday (loads less!). But, yes - there are advantages. (although it will still be possible for people to stack their car if they push it too hard!)
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

count me in too
scotiamr2t

Post by scotiamr2t »

Anna i agree it will still carry risks but at least if you stack it, it will be YOUR fault if its one car on at a time that is. Whereas at normal track days it can often be the fault of another over eager hot hatcher who only uses their car for track use so therefore isn't fussed if it gets bashed etc.

also as for less track time, i think the fun fcator of getting to watch fellow imocer's blating round the track/course, the discussions and banter that would follow between the competing drivers would make up for this.

but hey thats just my opinion. still think its a fantastic idea though :thumleft:
anna

Post by anna »

Yup - and there are always those who just can't resist finding out how fast they are actually going.... (timing is ofcourse a big no no on trackdays)
I can imagine the only way to get liability insurance is for the organisers to run people one at a time if it's timed.
greeny

Post by greeny »

Sounds a great idea! Hoping this happens!, I'd be very interested! :thumleft:
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

anna wrote:Yup - and there are always those who just can't resist finding out how fast they are actually going.... (timing is ofcourse a big no no on trackdays)
I can imagine the only way to get liability insurance is for the organisers to run people one at a time if it's timed.

Anna et al,

I have attended an event at Curborough Sprint circuit. It was with the Aston Martin Owners Club. (I don't have an Aston - we took the Lotus Go-Kart / nail :mrgreen: ). Ambulance / timing / insurance was provided by the owners of the circuit (Shenstone and District Car Club). It was really low key and I really enjoyed it but it is really tight and twisty and may not suit tubbies. The fastest cars around there are Caternails and Elises (much to the annoyance of the the Aston supercars!)

Reckon it's a great idea, and count me in, but we just need to find a suitable track / organiser... :-k
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

I feel that Llandow would also be a good option for a track - they seem to be accomodating and also hold regular sprint meets so they are probably geared up for it. From what I saw the car didnt favour any particular type of car, my N2 chased down 911's but then I lost out to a savage CRX VT. So the racing between cars would be close and interesting.

Do we need to invoilve a trackday company? Cant this be arranged directly with the circuit, most circuits deal direct. A trackday company i just an unessesary middle man who will add a margin to the day and subsequently make it more expensive.

I am dealing directly with Llandow for the small track day I am trying to sort - cant see why this cant be done with nearly every other circuit. If they already run events there like sprints then they have their own insurance, and can arrange paramedics and marshals.
anna

Post by anna »

Bender Unit wrote:I feel that Llandow would also be a good option for a track - they seem to be accomodating and also hold regular sprint meets so they are probably geared up for it. From what I saw the car didnt favour any particular type of car, my N2 chased down 911's but then I lost out to a savage CRX VT. So the racing between cars would be close and interesting.

Do we need to invoilve a trackday company? Cant this be arranged directly with the circuit, most circuits deal direct. A trackday company i just an unessesary middle man who will add a margin to the day and subsequently make it more expensive.

I am dealing directly with Llandow for the small track day I am trying to sort - cant see why this cant be done with nearly every other circuit. If they already run events there like sprints then they have their own insurance, and can arrange paramedics and marshals.

Trouble is if you're organising a trackday at LLandow already, really we should go somewhere else for the next event to mix it up a bit. I know trackdays and this are a bit different, but it'd be rather unfair if we have the trackday at Anglesey that took place in march, then the trackday at llandow, then this event at llandow! Anyway - it entirely depends which tracks are viable, then choose what seems to be popular.

TDO's are good for the liability aspect - not too sure about what happens if you do it through the track. Also - what about timing equipment etc? do circuit owners give this out?

Sprints etc are possibly covered by the clubs that use the circuit (as they might be an MSA club). IMOC is not an MSA registered club. It might be worth asking LLandow about this though?
EarL

Post by EarL »

philster_d wrote:Yeah, Central London

err... no. Midlands plaese.

...better still, Llandow eh James :wink: :eye:
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

Certainly sounds interesting, i love the time attack stuff!!
ChrisActon

Post by ChrisActon »

Sounds like a cracking idea to me, I would be up for this.

Cheers, Chris
jonno

Post by jonno »

Amazingly, I am up for it :)
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”